Amtrak to Burning Man? (reno)

Bikes, trikes, personal mobility and mutant vehicles - this is the place to discuss general transportation issues. For ride and RV shares, please go to Share Resources.

Re: Amtrak to Burning Man? (reno)

Postby Zhust » Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:31 am

tattoogoddess wrote:Wait you fucked 23 times? Oh that poor girls vagina.

No, she got off the train. Sorry — Glenwood Springs is about 250 miles west of Denver: CHI-DEN with girl; DEN-GSC without.
May your deeds return to you tenfold,
---Zhust, Curiosityist
Zhust

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Camp CampCampCamp

Postby Simon of the Playa » Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:40 am

Jayce after last years disaster i cant beloeve you are trusting another burn to Amtrak.

Talk about glutton for punishment.

Good luck y'all, you are putting your faith in a crap ahoot.

This isnt me being snarky, this is the voice of experience.
breathe deep, the playa is the dust of your ancestors

A gift for the Playa
Simon of the Playa

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Postby FeetOfClay » Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:11 am

Good luck y'all, you are putting your faith in a crap ahoot.

Admittedly, I DID think of this and it DOES have me a little nervous:
"what happens if the train is delayed/cancelled/etc?" AHHHGH!

But, since i am coming from NY, there is really no mode of transport that is a "sure thing":

-Plane: delays possible just like train. much less baggage allowed. more money than train.
-Train: lots of baggage and scenic, but could cancel/delay/etc
-Driving: car could stall, tire could flatten, LONG trip to do solo, gotta find campsites or lodging, how long can i stay awake to drive each day.

i think that burners coming from the East Coast inherently face more complicated logistics than burners from CA or other places that are a 3 or 4 hr. drive from the playa. true, they have tons of logistics to consider for the burn. but for NYers, the trip TO the burn is one huge question mark in and of itself.
What is this quintessence of dust?
FeetOfClay

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Anonymous Village

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:50 am

I'd be interested in knowing how much infrastructure is prepared where. I suspect (on pretty much no data what so ever, but on what I consider "sense") that it tends to come from San Francisco, and Reno and other places less than a day's drive away. Which is nothing against East Coasters, just idle curiosity. We could conduct a very unscientific poll, I suppose.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby BoyScoutGirl » Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:18 am

Not to get the pessimism up or anything, but the difference I see between train and plane scheduling mishaps is that planes get delayed, but trains are cancelled. Because there are so many flights daily, even if your particular flight number is cancelled, you can be re-routed, put on another plane, etc. Airlines deal with delayed and cancelled flights on a daily basis and have a system in place. As Jayce's story highlights, if there is a major problem along the train tracks (as opposed to a delay), there are no alternate routes because the US has next to no rail infrastructure.

Still, I love trains for all the reasons Feet of Clay listed and more (more space, can get up and walk around, less security hassle, etc.). I sure hope that the high-speed rail plans on both US coasts move forward.
When he lights his streetlamp, it is as if he brought one more star to life, or one flower.
When he puts out his lamp, he sends the flower, or the star, to sleep.
That is a beautiful occupation.

- Le Petit Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
BoyScoutGirl

Camp Name: Lamplighters!

Postby Simon of the Playa » Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:24 am

there is only one set of rails....three trains go cross country, the chief the zephyr and the empire builder...you'll be on the zephyr...

if ANYTHING HAPPENS ANYWHERE ALONG THOSE THOUSAND + Miles you are FUCKED.

theres plenty of sky, and always another flight as stated above.

i would never trust anything as precious as my BM Trip to Shamtrak™, and dont get me wrong, i love the train, but not if i have to be somewhere on time, or even close to punctual.

A gift for the Playa
Simon of the Playa

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:32 am

Even the Coast Starlight can easily be off by 12 hours or more. I remember taking it from Chico to Emeryville too often to think otherwise.

And Amtrak's deal with the railroads is that the freights get precedence. So, at any time that they need to put through a freight train you can be left on the siding for hours--without explanation, alas.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby tattoogoddess » Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:38 am

If I have time that is why I take the train like you said.
I am 5'8 and well, im not skinny. So I like to get up and walk cause my legs get crampy.You get more leg room on the train, you are generally more at eaze to talk to people on the train, crying baby? Go to another car, snoring man? another car. Plus you get more bags and you dont have to pay for your first 2. Not to mentio you can bring your own food and drink and you dont have to deal with the altitude if you have ear problems (unless it is say in CO or something) There is far more Pro's to the train then cons.

And im with you, man I really wish we had high speed trains here. When I traveled in Europe it was the best thing sense sliced bread.

Out of the 3 times I have taken it I was only late once and it was by 2 hours. I have taken to from OR to IA, CA to IA and VI to IA. So all half way across the USA.

Upside too. We are planning a fun train ride to BRC for all of us so neaner neaner! :lol:
maladroit- Burning Man is like a second job, except you pay to work there.
Burning Man is just the pre party for exodus! - fellow burner during exodus
http://burnon.wix.com/bloodbathandbeyond
tattoogoddess

Camp Name: bloodbath and beyond

Postby lemur » Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:53 am

yeah.. one of the crappiest calls you can get is one from amtrak telling you that youll be riding the bus for some portion of your trip ..ive had that happen and it really sucks ..and you only get that joyful opportunity if they have a lot of time to schedule/arrange it ..sometimes cancelled just means 'tobad'

also.. real long delays on amtrak make it so you cant really plan on anything.. ive had 7-10 hour delays on the zephyr... i could fly from chicago to reno and back home to chicago in that amount of time

you can bring more on an amtrak train.. but i can bring 100 pounds for 'free' on southwest ..and i cant carry much more than that at one time anyways

the ticket is cheaper on amtrak but when ya add in 4 days of food/booze/drinks on top of it.. along with the inconvenience of sleeping.. its sort of about the same in cost to a flight..

of course.. doing the zephyr once is worth it just for the sights ..but after a bunch of times of doing it.. i take the plane now.

ontime % of the zephyr: 58% ive had delays from 2 hours to 10 hours on it.. and we see that straight cancellations happen

ontime % for my flight to reno: 87.5 with an avg delay time of 2.2 minutes and 0% above 30mins and 0% cancellations
Don't link to anything here!
lemur

Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Postby Simon of the Playa » Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:04 pm

Upside too. We are planning a fun train ride to BRC for all of us so neaner neaner

as you wish.

it is no skin off my nose if you prefer to travel in something akin to a moveable trailer park.

perhaps it's that familiarity that you prefer...

A gift for the Playa
Simon of the Playa

Postby H.G.Crosby » Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:05 pm

you can be such a fucking snot sometimes.

i love it.
Once I noticed I was on fire, I decided to relax and enjoy the fall™
H.G.Crosby

Postby Roberto Dobbisano » Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:07 pm

hush, your haughtiness is showing.
one nation, under a groove.
Roberto Dobbisano

Postby tattoogoddess » Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:09 pm

I live in a pretty cool apartment Simon but thanks. I have only stepped foot in a trailer park once in my 27 years.

Amtrack- Trailer
Flying- Sewer drain?

:lol:
tattoogoddess

Postby Simon of the Playa » Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:10 pm

it's not a location thing honey, it's a state of mind....

A gift for the Playa
Simon of the Playa

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:14 pm

very different mind sets, noodling v. focused.
I love to watch the scenery, to get up and walk around... Trains are about the journey, not the destination.
Of course, at this point all passenger travel for me is about being trapped in my seat...
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby Simon of the Playa » Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:29 pm

i enjoy trains enormously.

from my first class sleeper...

the problem is not the mode of transportation, the problem is with Amtrak, the red-headed ugly stepchild of our countries transportation infrastructure.

if you want to be assured of getting to where you are going, on time, the train is a stupid choice, here in America...It is what it is, neglected, tired, worn and badly in need of some TLC.

it is a shame.

It does not have to be this way, as evidence proves that Public Transportation via rail can and is being used comfortably and efficiently and promptly.

just not in this country.

so, again, you ask for an opinion, i give you one, i could care less whether you get there or not, this advice is for the people who are deciding on which method of transpo to choose...you obviously have already decided, and hence will defend it as the wisest choice.

have fun with that.

for the rest of you

DONT DO IT, ITS FUCKING MISERABLE IN COACH, AND THE POTENTIAL IS QUITE HIGH THAT YOU MIGHT NOT MAKE IT TO YOUR DESTINATION IN A REASONABLE TIME FRAME BECAUSE AMTRAK SUCKS.

the only thing worse is the bus, and i've done that from reno to rochester NY.

i will never ever ever ever ever step foot on a motherfucking bus for as long as i live.

A gift for the Playa
Simon of the Playa

Postby H.G.Crosby » Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:34 pm

ah, the Misanthrope Express Rides Again.
H.G.Crosby

Postby tattoogoddess » Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:41 pm

Simon of the Playa wrote:

DONT DO IT, ITS FUCKING MISERABLE IN COACH, AND THE POTENTIAL IS QUITE HIGH THAT YOU MIGHT NOT MAKE IT TO YOUR DESTINATION IN A REASONABLE TIME FRAME BECAUSE AMTRAK SUCKS.

What coach where you riding in? This one?

Or this one?

I have always been very comfortable in coach. Chairs are big, they recline, you can get up and walk easy, You have the observation deck, dinning car, snack car and perfectly good bathrooms.

You can have the same issues with air travel as well. I had a friend who got stuck in a airport for 2 days cause of cancelled flights.

I love amtrak. The people are nice, you get to see pretty things, it is not stuffy, you can smoke at stops, i have leg room, more bags, ect ect. I don't know why you hate amtrak so much and this it is such a horrible missrible thing. It is what you make it. It is far better then Grayhound thats for sure. And like I said if I have the time I will take the train over flying anyday.

PS there is no "first class sleeper" It is just a sleeper car. Hell you get almost as much space in there as 2 seats on amtrak coach.
tattoogoddess

Postby Simon of the Playa » Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:50 pm

the first class sleepers are the ones with double beds, private showers and your own toidy...

trust me toots, i know these things....

A gift for the Playa
Simon of the Playa

Postby Simon of the Playa » Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:51 pm

they are on the upper level, and are not the "couchettes" that the bourgies use....

A gift for the Playa
Simon of the Playa

Postby H.G.Crosby » Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:53 pm

yes, there is a certain charm and old world racism involved with the mostly black and aging porter staff...makes me feel like i'm in 1934, and it's ok to say the word "Darkie"...
H.G.Crosby

Postby catinthefunnyhat » Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:57 pm

OK, y'all: I'm here to defend the bus.

That's right. I love the motherfucking bus.

I've bused across Canada (well, not all the way across, but the 72 hours from Vancouver to Toronto) twice and taken several other long trips (up to 36 hrs) by bus both here and in the States. It's surely not for everyone, but it's not a nightmare, either. Just be prepared to have some odd conversations with drunk/horny/strange/lonely people (traveling with a partner will reduce the likelihood/frequency of that). Earplugs (people snore), a good pillow, and something to help you sleep (Dramamine/Gravol is awesome) are necessities. Have some basic toiletries and a hand towel in your bag, and make a point of washing your face and brushing your teeth at rest stops. You'll get to your destination cheaply and roughly on time. Of course, you'll be sore and smelly on arrival.

I agree that the train is nicer overall, but I've had bad experiences there. (1) A train from Toronto to Winnipeg in the dead of winter that arrived at its destination 2 days late (not exaggerating) with frozen toilets after being repeatedly delayed in buttfucknowhere by mechanical problems, snow, and other trains broken down on the tracks. OK, my first mistake was going to Winnipeg in the dead of winter... I've never been on a bus that arrived significantly late. (2) A trip on the Coast Starlight that was lovely for the first day and a half but by the end of which the entire train reeked of sewage. This happened both thee and back, so I'm pretty sure it wasn't a one-off. I've been on some stinky buses, but that train was worse.

The super-delayed Via trip was awesome, though. Probably in part because we weren't actually anxious to be in Winnipeg in the dead of winter, anyways. The train ran short of food, of course, so during one of our strandings, the crew went into town and bought groceries, then cooked for us from scratch for the rest of the trip. We ate like royalty: Roast beef, Yorkshire puddings, chocolate cake, free liquor...
If you want drama to stop following you everywhere, try letting go of the leash.
catinthefunnyhat

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Jun 08, 2012 1:00 pm

It still alls sucks from where I sit.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby tattoogoddess » Fri Jun 08, 2012 1:02 pm

Simon of the Playa wrote:the first class sleepers are the ones with double beds, private showers and your own toidy...

Simon of the Playa wrote:they are on the upper level, and are not the "couchettes" that the bourgies use....

Thats called a superliner bedroom. It has nothing to do with class lol. There is no class system on amtrak.

"Superliner Bedroom
Our Superliner Bedroom is ideal for two passengers, but can accommodate three (two passengers must share the lower berth). Call 1-800-USA-RAIL for help reserving the Superliner Bedroom for three passengers. Each room has a large sofa with two individually reclining sections, and a reclining easy chair. At night, the sofa converts to a comfortable bed, and an upper berth folds down from above. All Superliner Bedrooms feature private, self-enclosed restrooms with toilet, sink and shower. All Bedrooms are located on the upper level of our double-decker Superliner train cars."
tattoogoddess

Postby Simon of the Playa » Fri Jun 08, 2012 1:06 pm

um dear, the buses in canada arent usually frequented by convicts getting out of jail, migrants, and crazy people.

your opinion is not relevant.

lucky lucky canadians....

A gift for the Playa
Simon of the Playa

Postby catinthefunnyhat » Fri Jun 08, 2012 1:07 pm

Fishy, I'm still not sure I'm allowed to hug you, even in virtual/imaginary ways. So instead I'm going to offer you some imaginary chocolate-covered cacao nibs*. They're deliciously bitter dark chocolate and would make a great travel snack. They'd also make good fodder for a peashooter. They'll make any trip better, even if you're trapped in your seat with a snoring giant next to you.

*Wait! I mean they're real... well, they're a real thing. But I'm offering you imaginary ones because I'm way over here, and you're way over there, and I don't have a peashooter big enough to get them to you.
If you want drama to stop following you everywhere, try letting go of the leash.
catinthefunnyhat

Postby Simon of the Playa » Fri Jun 08, 2012 1:08 pm

tattoogoddess wrote:
Simon of the Playa wrote:the first class sleepers are the ones with double beds, private showers and your own toidy...

Simon of the Playa wrote:they are on the upper level, and are not the "couchettes" that the bourgies use....

Thats called a superliner bedroom. It has nothing to do with class lol. There is no class system on amtrak.

"Superliner Bedroom
Our Superliner Bedroom is ideal for two passengers, but can accommodate three (two passengers must share the lower berth). Call 1-800-USA-RAIL for help reserving the Superliner Bedroom for three passengers. Each room has a large sofa with two individually reclining sections, and a reclining easy chair. At night, the sofa converts to a comfortable bed, and an upper berth folds down from above. All Superliner Bedrooms feature private, self-enclosed restrooms with toilet, sink and shower. All Bedrooms are located on the upper level of our double-decker Superliner train cars."

again, that IS first Class Accomodations.....and if you dont think that there is a class system on amtrak youre deluded....they dont let coachies in the sleeper cars...

A gift for the Playa
Simon of the Playa

Postby catinthefunnyhat » Fri Jun 08, 2012 1:39 pm

Simon of the Playa wrote:um dear, the buses in canada arent usually frequented by convicts getting out of jail, migrants, and crazy people.

your opinion is not relevant.

lucky lucky canadians....

Point taken about the convicts, but I beg to differ about the crazy people. You did hear the one about the guy who beheaded his seatmate, right? That was on the bus from Toronto to Winnipeg.

I've witnessed a lot of trashy behaviour on Canadian buses. My favourite was a middle-aged woman who "cleverly" got drunk before boarding, because she knew it was forbidden to drink on the bus (she began the trip by walking up and down the aisle, bragging to anyone who would listen about this particular bit of cleverness). Eventually, though, the booze started to wear off, and she became desperate for more. Two younger men had smuggled a case of beer onto the bus, and she started offering to blow them in exchange for a share of it. I don't know whether she actually did so, but they took off together for a while at one of the stops... and she did get some of their beer afterwards. She then proceeded to act like a bad-drunk teenager -- begging loudly for sex, smoking (first in the washroom, then eventually openly, at her seat), and passing out in the aisle. The first driver tolerated her (I think he thought he might get lucky), but the second threw her out.

Interesting thing happened the next morning: A little girl, about 7 years old, who had been sitting in front of me, came over to my seat to talk to me about what had happened. She had noticed the men drinking and felt that the bus driver had treated the woman unjustly by throwing her off but not them. She was terribly worried about this woman being stranded in the middle of nowhere, probably without any money, in winter. She expressed no fear or alarm at the woman's behaviour, only compassion for her plight. She was furious with the men for giving her booze and then not looking after her. That kid rocked (and was way too worldly... probably had seen things like that at home).

But as for ex-convicts on their way home from jail... the only time I've knowingly sat next to one was in the states, so you've got me there. I'm pretty sure he was back in jail by the time I reached my destination. My partner (who at the time was just a friend) made a joke at an inopportune moment in what was otherwise a very pleasant and interesting conversation with this ex-con; "Smokey" considered the joke disrespectful, lost his temper, and started screaming death threats. My partner, being a pacifist, tried to just ignore him, but some random 80-year-old man took it upon himself to play "white knight," stood up, and challenged Smokey to fisticuffs. Smokey was kicked off the bus by the driver and left on the highway in the middle of nowhere. I still wonder whatever became of him.

And, yes, I still love the bus. And my motherfucking rose-coloured glasses.
catinthefunnyhat

Postby wh..sh » Fri Jun 08, 2012 1:55 pm

Hey now! Indian Railways is one of the largest railroad (passenger) networks in the world.
And for the record, that's a local train, thats not a coach. And the long distance trains have coaches. One doesn't hang out of a long distance train (even thought the option is available) and comfortable coaches are available in long distance trains. I have spent most part of my college life hanging out of a train, thinking about philosophy, life's meaning and such. I also made lot of decisions, cried, laughed, danced, sang, played... all during my train journey. Is it the most cousin-y, comfortable thing on earth? Probably not. But no doubt, Indian trains are like 10000X more fun!! And, mostly on time :)

tattoogoddess wrote:What coach where you riding in? This one?
In my world there's only legible and more legible.

-Bob
wh..sh

Postby Simon of the Playa » Fri Jun 08, 2012 1:58 pm

last time i checked, there wasn't a canandian equivalent to don rickles.

i would never survive more an week there before the general populace would want to kill me.
Last edited by Simon of the Playa on Fri Jun 08, 2012 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

A gift for the Playa
Simon of the Playa

PreviousNext

Return to Transportation