Tuesday exodus

Bikes, trikes, personal mobility and mutant vehicles - this is the place to discuss general transportation issues. For ride and RV shares, please go to the year-specific Share Resources board.

Tuesday exodus

Postby Tealish » Wed Dec 28, 2011 5:07 pm

Does anyone or has anyone chosen to stay an additional night in the desert calm before heading out to Reno? Logistically it seems like a good idea and could lend to additional MOOP patrol but was curious what past experiences have been
Tealish

Re: Tuesday exodus

Postby lucky420 » Wed Dec 28, 2011 5:13 pm

Quite a few people do this. I am planning on staying until tuesday this next year myself. I don't live to far from BRC but once I start packing stuff up I just want to get home to a real shower and bed. Next year I am not even going to get anxious about leaving earlier than I planned. Nope, no early packing for me ( I gotta keep telling myself this) :wink:
Oh my god, it's HUGE!
lucky420

Burning Since: I'm not sure
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby gaminwench » Wed Dec 28, 2011 5:21 pm

sshhh, don't tell...

otherwise, everyone will start doing it...
"the prophecies of doom were better last year" trilo
gaminwench

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: DOTA, EoD, OBOP, Destiny Lounge

Postby Savannah » Wed Dec 28, 2011 5:28 pm

I would do it, if I could. I would love to miss the rush.
Savannah

Postby lemur » Wed Dec 28, 2011 5:33 pm

tuesday is a good day for leaving.. it clears out quick.

just FYI kinda thing..
depending on when you arrive and how much stuff was around you during the week acting as wind blocks you may be surprised to find your structure(s) getting a lot more wind monday/tuesday than during the event..

theres a pretty steady stream of people leaving on tuesday but ive never been stopped bumper to bumper..
Don't link to anything here!
lemur

Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Postby trilobyte » Wed Dec 28, 2011 6:00 pm

Yeah, Monday afternoon tends to get a bit dusty (we called it ExoDust), and more time on playa means spending a bit more time making sure you and your campmates are cleaning up after yourselves. Small price to pay, in my opinion. I prefer being relaxed and enjoying those last wonderful moments during burn weekend (and not struggling to get packed and loaded and 'beat the rush' as it were), then we enjoy a lazy Monday of farewells to friends and breaking down some of the camp structures. Tuesday morning we finish the job, give our camp and surrounding space another thorough walk-through, load our van, and roll out without any real traffic. If you can spare the additional time from work, I highly recommend it.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby unjonharley » Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:03 pm

Just to remind you all.. They stop cleaning the port a pots Mondays.
Plan ahead.. I may move camp Monday to the 6:00 line..

My whole camp is easy up and down.. Bout 20 mins. Am also set up for a short out or two camp on the way home..
unjonharley

Postby danibel » Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:56 pm

I like the Tuesday departure idea. This past year (2011), we were going to leave sometime Monday morning and ended up staying in camp all day and leaving at dusk because of the accident on hwy 80. We would have stayed until Tuesday but I had to get back home to get to work. If I can swing it this year, I want to volunteer for exodus on Monday and leave Tuesday. We had plenty of food and water for one more night, it was just the default world obligations that had us in that freaking line for 4 hours!
In dust we trust.
danibel

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Camp D'nile

Postby bigdane » Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:24 pm

I was thinking of volunteering for exodus to add to my first year experience...I get a little nutty sitting in long lines to leave events....not so much going in...just leaving.
Any concert, movie or game I go to I just sorta hang back and let everyone else make their move first...its my ADHD meets Agorophobia...too much happening, too many distractions
don't play with matches unless you intend to burn
bigdane

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp and Wine Bistro

Postby Marscrumbs » Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:37 pm

Signs are gone so it is easy to get lost. Bring a compass.
Marscrumbs

Postby Sassy Britches » Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:27 pm

This was our first year. We left camp Monday morning, didn't get to the road til 8 hours later! Stopped overnight in somewhere Nevada after about 6 hours (both hubby and I hate driving through the night), and Tuesday morning when we were gassing up the truck, met up with other Burners who just left BRC that morning. If I can take an extra day from work, we're thinking about leaving Tuesday as well. I like the idea of volunteering while we're at it, too.
Sassy Britches

Postby Playa+Tom » Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:46 pm

I have been leaving on Tuesday morning for several years. I volunteer for Exodus on Sunday and Monday, pack most of my stuff Monday afternoon and leave around noon Tuesday. By then the entrance road is pretty torn up and really dusty so you can't go more than about 10 mph. It usually takes 45 minutes to an hour to get to the pavement. After stopping for a drink and a meal at Bruno's I'm home in a couple of hours.
Exodus can always use volunteers it can be fun and as you watch the poor wretched souls wait in line for most of the day you can be happy with the knowledge that your trip on Tuesday will be much easier.
Playa+Tom

Postby Rice » Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:53 am

bigdane wrote:I was thinking of volunteering for exodus to add to my first year experience...I get a little nutty sitting in long lines to leave events....not so much going in...just leaving.
Any concert, movie or game I go to I just sorta hang back and let everyone else make their move first...its my ADHD meets Agorophobia...too much happening, too many distractions

During my first burn I experienced something I call "Playa ADD". There is always something happening, lots of shiny... They only way to have a conversation with minimal distraction (for me) was to sit in a shade structure facing away from the street. That way I had a chance to actually concentrate on the conversation. 4 burns later I still get distracted (stupid shiny ;) )...

If you are serious about volunteering for exodus, be sure to check out the info on Exodus: http://www.burningman.com/participate/gate.html There is a link on that page to the online Volunteer Questionnaire. Pre-event registration is by far the best. Once you have registered, someone will contact you with more info and if everything goes as planned, you can sign up for some shifts. (If you do commit, show up. People flaking on shifts make entry/exodus waits longer...) Perhaps we will work a shift or two together??
Love Rice

Roach: "I feel like in this day and age, every girl should know how to build a flamethrower."
Rice

Burning Since: 2007

Postby moonrise » Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:11 pm

Yes, if you can stay late I say go for it. I like the wind down after experiencing the build up of the entire burn week. It's also fun to help throw wood onto the man burn site.... as more and more wood is brought down from the deconstruction of BRC it becomes a bigger and bigger nightly bonfire in the evenings. I try to find freinds and trouble gatherings Monday eve and maybe Tuesday eve.

You can stay into Weds morning, maybe until dark Weds, or maybe later into Thursday. I forget when the BLM kicks most people out (hopefully someone will know and post it here). Some of the big camps told me they stay a week or so later, this is understandable considering the massive structure and amounts of materials/gear they carefully pack up...to everyone, a BIG Thank You!

I plan to pack/MOOP Monday & Tuesday, grab ample ZZZZ's Tuesday night and leave Weds in the morning or mid-day at the latest (I'll probably crash at a motel Weds eve, w/pool, shower, and more sleep because I suck at night driving, arg)
I'm the MAN in a truck, burner who is stuck, you're in luck! I'll whip out my BIG tow chain and not charge you, not even one lousy buck!
moonrise

Postby ygmir » Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:29 pm

we went back up on Thursday, to get the stagecoach, and there were a fair number of folks still there, even a couple of camps still set up.

I'm sure, somewhere, there's an official policy, though.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby VultureChow » Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:34 pm

What's the approx exit wait time on tuesday? i want to fly out on Tuesday, so I don't want too early a flight. I don't mind leaving super early on Tuesday, so would a 3pm flight be okay?

The Monday exodus wait times made me change my plans. I'd rather take an extra vacation day than miss the temple burn.

Hell, this may be the first year ever I take all of my vacation days.
FREE THE STRIPPERS!
VultureChow

Camp Name: Camp Hooker @ Barbie Death Village

Postby ygmir » Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:45 pm

Tuesdays can vary. The road out is super bad, usually as far as washboard and bumpy..and really dusty.
I'd think, if you allow 2 hours, camp to pavement, you'll be ok. I've never taken that long, but, well, dust storms, bad road, broken down vans........
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Postby theCryptofishist » Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:47 pm

The BLM wants us off the land as soon as possible, as does the llc--which pays a per person, per night fee for everyone. I've heard that Tuesday they let you slide and Wednesday they become aggressive.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Postby bigdane » Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:06 pm

stretch80 wrote:
bigdane wrote:I was thinking of volunteering for exodus to add to my first year experience...I get a little nutty sitting in long lines to leave events....not so much going in...just leaving.

During my first burn I experienced something I call "Playa ADD". There is always something happening, lots of shiny... They only way to have a conversation with minimal distraction (for me) was to sit in a shade structure facing away from the street. That way I had a chance to actually concentrate on the conversation. 4 burns later I still get distracted (stupid shiny ;) )...

If you are serious about volunteering for exodus, be sure to check out the info on Exodus: http://www.burningman.com/participate/gate.html There is a link on that page to the online Volunteer Questionnaire. Pre-event registration is by far the best. Once you have registered, someone will contact you with more info and if everything goes as planned, you can sign up for some shifts. (If you do commit, show up. People flaking on shifts make entry/exodus waits longer...) Perhaps we will work a shift or two together??

I actually have done all that and only today got the lates gate update. though I have not got anything about signing up for shifts...I'm guessing that info might come later in the spring but whata I know....Ive heard from a couple others too and I know at least one night I'll volunteer for lamplighters...I pledged to myself I would NOT over commit but I am by nature the synonym to overcommit...time will telll....I hope I get a chance to work a shift or two with ya bro!
don't play with matches unless you intend to burn
bigdane

Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp and Wine Bistro

Postby Savannah » Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:32 pm

It's typical not to have shift sign-up begin 'til May or June, but it depends on the department. Submitting your volunteer questionnaire now was a fine idea, though.
Savannah

Postby AntiM » Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:13 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:The BLM wants us off the land as soon as possible, as does the llc--which pays a per person, per night fee for everyone. I've heard that Tuesday they let you slide and Wednesday they become aggressive.

One of these years, they'll start charging more. Cracking down and making folks leave is very near impossible. Unless they convert the water trucks to pepper spray trucks....
Some sunshine, some dust, a little paint and a tutu. Yeah.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby ygmir » Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:56 pm

AntiM wrote:
theCryptofishist wrote:The BLM wants us off the land as soon as possible, as does the llc--which pays a per person, per night fee for everyone. I've heard that Tuesday they let you slide and Wednesday they become aggressive.

One of these years, they'll start charging more. Cracking down and making folks leave is very near impossible. Unless they convert the water trucks to pepper spray trucks....

and move the event to UCD?
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Postby teardropper » Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:21 am

I got all packed up and went to leave last year on Monday about 11 or 12 and traffic was kind of backed up into BRC. I turned on BMIR radio and they said traffic was backed up from Reno because of two non-Burner related traffic accidents on I-80. One on each side. They said not to get in line -- waits of 6-8 hours. I got out of line, because, well, I WAS at the back of it, and went back and waited a while. It was still bad at 5 o'clock, so I took my liquor and food in search of thirsty people with a grill. Strangely, I found just that. We had a fine evening and at dusk went to the Man burn site and watched an Egg burn. It was nuts that night. And you're right, the road out was terrible -- but isn't it always? I think it's more noticeable because there was little traffic and you could drive fast enough to feel it. I'm not sure they would like us all to do that, but I'll do it again next year. Though I did kind of miss the Exodus. With the pulsing traffic, it allowed time to have one more party - in line. And I got to see a branding... But Monday was kinda' fun.
\^/
/..\ Furthur
teardropper

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: The late Lazy Fucks. Now Orphan Eaters.

Return to Transportation