Gas golf/utility cart: considerations for bringing to playa?

Bikes, trikes, personal mobility and mutant vehicles - this is the place to discuss general transportation issues. For ride and RV shares, please go to the year-specific Share Resources board.

Gas golf/utility cart: considerations for bringing to playa?

Postby brody » Thu Dec 22, 2011 3:49 pm

Figured I'd come here for advice. I'm thinking of bringing out a gas golf cart this year, but I don't know much about them. I've done enough research to determine that I want to go gas over electric, but need some advice from people w/more mechanical/practical experience with these beasts.

I'm not asking about mutant vehicle stuff, this is strictly a nuts-and-bolts question about the underlying vehicle itself.

Some questions:

1) does anyone have any opinions about best brands? I'm hoping to score one on Craigslist or the like, anything I should lean towards or stay away from? Any red flags I should watch out for when shopping?
2) do I need to modify any parts of the engine/actual motoring-system for peak performance on the playa? What should I bring extras of?
3) any other advice for someone bringing out a gas golf cart/utility cart (unsure which I'd end up with, see also: trying to find for cheap on Craigslist)

Thanks!
-------------------------------
(cold hands, warm bacon)
brody

Burning Since: 2004

Re: Gas golf/utility cart: considerations for bringing to pl

Postby BetaBox » Thu Dec 22, 2011 5:51 pm

1)Yamaha and EZGO are the honda civics of golf carts. I picked up a 91 g9 and let me tell you, I had no idea what i was getting myself into. Hillbilly engineering at it's greatest, but since i was a noob, well.... So, make sure it runs ha ha. Check out http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/ for info. Make sure the drive belt is semi functional, around an inch width.

2) added weight=mods, it all depends on what you want to do and how much you are willing to spend. On that note, be prepared to double your already doubled budget. Are you moving people? how many? you can get by with adding 500lbs or so. I added about 700lb and it was not liking it; i'm gearing it down or whatever for next year.

3) Trailer? Lights? Air filter-Snorkel? Awesome concept?
BetaBox

Postby oneeyeddick » Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:53 pm

No matter what type you get, the Snorkel can be the most important part to add to it if you gonna run it for any amount of time out there.
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.
oneeyeddick

Burning Since: 1996

Postby brody » Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:17 pm

What exactly is a snorkel?
(cold hands, warm bacon)
brody

Postby oneeyeddick » Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:03 pm

A hose that forces your air to be taken from a higher level than usual, usually used on 4x4 vehicles when going through deep water/mud.

A dryer hose or something of the like and some snipped tin will usually do the trick for your golfcart's air intake, just to make sure you are not sucking dust straight from your front tires.
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.
oneeyeddick

Burning Since: 1996

Postby motskyroonmatick » Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:55 pm

Club car Gasser! The only way to go IMHO. My Golficus Carticus has survived years of ab/use on the playa with narry a complaint and barely a dirty air filter. Bone stock. Ive seen every other brand broke down out there. I bought mine for $300 bucks off of CL and spent 200 painting and replacing improperly replaced parts. Image Yeah! Bone stock club cart will go through that ravine and injure that knee prior with on dime steering with no problem. Toughest GC ever made. Most valuable on resale market too.

Yo Moonrise! Can I get a What What?
Black Rock City Welding and Repair. The Night Time Warming Station.

When you pass the 4th "bridge out!" sign; the flaming death is all yours.-Knowmad-
motskyroonmatick

Camp Name: B.R.C. Welding&Repair.

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:19 am

Technically, I think you mean Golficus carticus.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby B the B » Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:25 am

bring a spare air filter. Or if you have a cleanable one, plenty of air filter cleaner. (which could be gas, on some air filters anyway)
"what if one of these times the man says f it and decides to burn us?"
B the B

Postby Savannah » Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:52 am

theCryptofishist wrote:Technically, I think you mean Golficus carticus.

He's not referring to it as a species (in which case it would indeed be spelled that way). He anthropomorphizes his beloved golf cart as a noble individual, on par with a Roman emperor . . . such as Gaius Julius Caesar Augustus. :)
Savannah

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:56 am

Where did you get the idea that Roman emperors were noble individuals?
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.

theCryptofishist

Postby Savannah » Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:01 am

It must be admitted that Golficus Carticus leads a debauched and overdramatic life.
Savannah

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:11 am

Sorta like Biggus Dickus...
The Lady with a Lamprey

theCryptofishist

Postby motskyroonmatick » Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:29 am

Savannah wrote:

He's not referring to it as a species (in which case it would indeed be spelled that way). He anthropomorphizes his beloved golf cart as a noble individual, on par with a Roman emperor . . . such as Gaius Julius Caesar Augustus. :)

Indeed! :D I do feel that Golficus Carticus is a noble individual.

I'll leave the Biggus Dickus jokes to the professionals 8)
Black Rock City Welding and Repair. The Night Time Warming Station.

When you pass the 4th "bridge out!" sign; the flaming death is all yours.-Knowmad-
motskyroonmatick

Camp Name: B.R.C. Welding&Repair.

Postby ygmir » Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:52 am

motskyroonmatick wrote:
Savannah wrote:

a little joke, perhaps?
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Camp Name: qqqq

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:10 pm

motskyroonmatick wrote:
Savannah wrote:

ygmir wrote:[a little joke, perhaps?

No need for modesty, yggy, you're the Naughtius Maximus on this board.
The Lady with a Lamprey

theCryptofishist

Postby Savannah » Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:19 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:No need for modesty, yggy, you're the Naughtius Maximus on this board.

From this day forward, I don't think I will ever be able to call him anything other than this.
Savannah

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:24 pm

Savannah wrote:
theCryptofishist wrote:No need for modesty, yggy, you're the Naughtius Maximus on this board.

From this day forward, I don't think I will ever be able to call him anything other than this.

It's an ygnominous title...
The Lady with a Lamprey

theCryptofishist

Postby Elderberry » Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:01 pm

:D :)
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
Elderberry

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby moonrise » Mon Dec 26, 2011 12:26 am

motskyroonmatick wrote:Club car Gasser! The only way to go IMHO. My Golficus Carticus has survived years of ab/use on the playa with narry a complaint and barely a dirty air filter. Bone stock. Ive seen every other brand broke down out there. I bought mine for $300 bucks off of CL and spent 200 painting and replacing improperly replaced parts. Image Yeah! Bone stock club cart will go through that ravine and injure that knee prior with on dime steering with no problem. Toughest GC ever made. Most valuable on resale market too.

Yo Moonrise! Can I get a What What?

Hiya Motz, Brody, et al!

~Golficus Carticus~ is noble indeed! GC was gifted to me by Motz of Stag Camp for my burn in 2010. Thank You sooo much!
I'm partially disabled (botched low back surgery) and cannot walk far, and I can not ride a bike ever since my disability :( . I was going to postpone my burn in 2010, save up $ to buy a used cart so I could finally go to burning man in 2011 (and not be stranded in a camp, no thanks). Then Wow! One day in 2010, my PM box had Golficus Carticus in it, unreal, I'm still stunned by the generosity and help. That's just part of the back story. I used GC to transport disabled burners all day, everyday... that cart picked up the slack for an entire 'missing' fleet of golfcarts in 2010.
For me personally the positive domino effect of that gift will take a lifetime to complete... 8)
I can't thank Motz and & Staggers enough, ever....your gift came juuuust in time, WoW!

Here's the practical stuff Brody (Jkisha, eh hem)

GC ran 24/7 for the entire burn in 2010, not one single problem, quiet and reliable. Motz dun gooood, he picked a good model, year, make and busted his arse and rebuilt & maintains that cart tight. I'm blown away GC does not need a snorkel!!??!! This seems rare and good fortune. FYI, Snorkels are fairly easy to add on.

When I shopped for my own cart I looked for months, during dead of winter in hopes of good pricing, I came very close to buying an exact match to GC! It was a green one, GC is deep purple, these carts came in a bunch of fun colors back then. Motz please post the year, GC needs siblings, haha. I only saw the matching cart once, it was priced at $500 and sold in one hour! Ah well, I moved on to a clean used EZGO, year 2000. Cost was $1500, plus another $400 for 5 new tires (one as a spare) and a buncha other stuff, new belts, 2 sets of new spark plugs, a few air filters, quart of oil, $10 tire wrench, plug wrench, and fuses (I blew a few fuses & sooo many random burners had more spares, yay!) Bring spare keys!! (hide spare keys on the cart, in your back pack, clothing, etc etc!) In addition to regular head lights and red tail lights, I also have a front and rear set of bike lights stored in my cart, just as a back up. My fuses weren't properly matched and the multitude of extra, zany lights, LEDs, etc etc we added might eat fuses. I'm not messing around out there, I'll switch to AAA battery powered bike lights if that occurs and we're all out of fuses, lmao.

I used www(dot)searchtempest(dot)com, a badass search engine that scours all of craigslist. I just tested it and it pulled up a bunch of used carts.
Club Car, if you can find one like GC would be schweet! I am guessing it's air intake happens to be somewhere away from the dust (what good luck). Most carts and my EZGO must have a snorkel or you're gonna be bogging down and or banging dust out of a filter every 30 mins or so, screw dat! (maybe some Club Car carts require a snorkel? Might be just the one year they built the GC type models that do not need a snorkel, hmmm)

IMHO I think it's best to accept (most) playa cart buying/prep advice from those that have been to the burn and know the conditions! (dust, heat, spare parts list, polite/clever lighting, etc) I prepped my cart with help from a wonderful burner family/tribe I met through my regional list!! We made that baby playa worthy and it didn't break down, not once.

I agree the best ones out there are these:
Club Car
EZGO
Yamaha

Gas four stroke is a must and worth the few extra $'s IMO. The 2 stroke require you to mix gas and oil, a hassle and more fuel to spill unless you mix it before you get to the playa. 2 strokes can foul plugs, and are usually much older. 4 stroke uses just plain cheap gas and motor oil. I didn't top off the motor oil more once on either 4 stroke carts I drive.

I'd avoid 3 wheel carts, and try to get a newer cart for ease of parts availability.
There are loooong six passenger models, but I think they'd be a hassle for tight turning. If you're making a looong snake MV, then get a long cart, haha.
A trailer would be a hassle, unless you have a really good reason for a trailer. My cart fits a bunch of stuff, including 2 bikes, and we added 2 milk crates to the front after we removed the windsheild. The rooftop can also be used for hauling stuff, beds and what not. My cart will never see a golf course again, unless it's a golf course at the burn, hahaha, we chopped it up and modified it into almost an MV! almost, someday it'll be a finished MV, someday...for now it's playa proofed and burnified. (I have ideas, uh huh...)

The snorkel, this could probably be done several ways and depends on the model, but I think most mechanics understand the how to and why it's needed (for playa, dust!!)
Mine is made from vacuum cleaner hoses, 3 of them. We blocked the main air intake hole on the black plastic box with a pulg & quality silicone caulking, and the smaller air intake holes with quality silicone caulking--it's fleixible, worked well for my EZGO. The hose is attached to the air box intake with silicone caulking and tape and zip ties and run from airbox/engine compartment through the upper regions of the cart, through the roof top (or highest point) and all along the way it's attached with zip ties and heavy duty duct tape, after that it can be covered with an MV creation.

While searching online I always used searchtempest (for craigslist, no phony bs ads and crap, just pure craigslist worldwide, schweeet!)
I noticed in Reno the prices were higher if NOT from burners and the area seemed depleted of used glfcarts. I wonder why...? haha.
I saw lots of great carts (some awesome deals, pre xmas) from the Infineon race track crowd, they call them Rat Racers. (East bay, I think?)
I noticed lots of goood prices in Palm Springs, Los Angeles, San Diego, (Las Vegas was different, seemed many were fancy used, some deals, but? wtf? Rolls Royce, etc lol)

I finally found a family that sells the golfcart fleets from three golfcourses their family owns. They're located in Petaluma, CA. They said they usually have a bunch of them and burners buy many from them (I still did not mentioned the burn, due to my price gouge fear factor) PM me if you would like me to look for their Ph#. To mods, if this is commerce sorry, please delete it, but just so you know I do NOT make a penny nor sell these carts. It took me months to find this family, I'm just trying to help.

I don't know what you mean when you say 'utility cart' maybe a golfcart with a utility type set up on the back end, sort of like a pick up truck bed?? If it's something like that, I'd much rather go for a four seater or an open end. I think standing or sitting (if with back seats) is better than sitting in a pick up type back end, also you can easily load open end or seated back end with bikes and stuff if you tie and/or bungee them very very well.

Red flags (in addition to my dislikes above) might be vintage, seems they'd be costly and a hassle to get parts for.

We didn't need to modify my EZGO engine. The altitude isn't high enough to warrant changing the carburetor jets.

Do you have a trailer to haul the cart? Give thought to the ramp angle, is it not too steep for a golfcart? Is there a ramp and if not, how long will 2x12 boards need to be to roll that cart off and on to a rampless box truck or trailer or pick up truck, yikes!!!!!!

Uhaul rented me a great trailer for $22 a day to go pick the cart up (but I wouldn't pay that for the duration of the burn, I had enough time to buy a used trailer...)

I bought a 4 horse trailer and we ended up cutting that trailer's ramp off and installing a new ramp, this was NOT an expected 'one more thing' thing on my list, with just a couple of weeks to go before the burn, gah!!! we converted my 4 horse trailer into a toy hauler, a very rough tow-a-long camper like thing, lol. I'm happy with it so far, it's funky and functional.

Some used golfcarts come with their own trailer. Just be sure you're focusing on the golfcart and not the trailer part of the deal.

Buggiesgonewild looks like a good busy forum. I bought parts from buggiesunlimited and they have a sloooow, boring forum. IMHO, it's best to find burner mechanics!

I hope this long winded post helps.
I'm the MAN in a truck, burner who is stuck, you're in luck! I'll whip out my BIG tow chain and not charge you, not even one lousy buck!
moonrise

Postby AntiM » Mon Dec 26, 2011 6:41 am

Moonrise, on topic referrals in a post replying to a question are absolutely fine.
Some sunshine, some dust, a little paint and a tutu. Yeah.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby lavender_green » Thu Dec 29, 2011 2:49 pm

Good info- i'm looking also for a golf cart for this year!
lavender_green

Postby brody » Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:18 pm

Moonrise, thank you so much for the great reply! And to everyone else as well. I'll definitely be referencing back to this thread as I get a cart (yeah, I've heard great things about the club car). For some reason, Eplaya wasn't notifying me of all the new responses.

Yay for help from people who've been there. :D

I'll update once I find something. It's just going to be a matter of finding one that's not ridiculously overpriced (moonrise, I'll PM you for that #, thanks!). I figure I'll have to range far afield to find one- I'm in the SF Bay Area and it seems like slim pickings around here!

Brody
(cold hands, warm bacon)
brody

Postby moonrise » Thu Dec 29, 2011 4:21 pm

Okay I found the golfcart sellers CelPh# and email address, yay!

My notes show;

*He had a couple of trailers for sale also. I'd inquire about a trailer, if you need one.
*I paid $1600 plus $75 for front and rear lights. In hindsight, I wish I had held off and bought the lights for $35 and installed them with my burner mechanic tribe, but oh well....
*I think he might come down to $1500 if you mention you were referred by me (my name is in the PM). Just a guess, but I think the recession has deepened since I bought my cart last winter. He might be asking less currently; also depends on the year model etc. He seemed fair enough and I was able to hit him up for a spare tire on rim.
*I found a manual for the year make and model of my EZGO online, and saved it in a file.

PM sent to Brody (and others if they need it)
I'm the MAN in a truck, burner who is stuck, you're in luck! I'll whip out my BIG tow chain and not charge you, not even one lousy buck!
moonrise

Return to Transportation