My next tricycle at Burning Man

Bikes, trikes, personal mobility and mutant vehicles - this is the place to discuss general transportation issues. For ride and RV shares, please go to Share Resources.

My next tricycle at Burning Man

Postby phil » Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:33 am

http://dvice.com/archives/2011/10/hacked-tricycle.php

This tricycle prints Chinese calligraphy on the playa in water as you pedal. _Great_ way to get rid of grey water -- call it art!
phil

Re: My next tricycle at Burning Man

Postby trilobyte » Thu Oct 13, 2011 4:06 pm

Oh wow, fun project! 2011 was my first year with a trike, it was a great experience.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby essjay » Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:10 pm

phil wrote:http://dvice.com/archives/2011/10/hacked-tricycle.php

This tricycle prints Chinese calligraphy on the playa in water as you pedal. _Great_ way to get rid of grey water -- call it art!

When I read that, my first thought was that you'd be in trouble for dumping grey water. I always thought that was a big no-no on the playa.

Then I looked into it and was surprised to find out that scattering grey water is permitted:

http://www.burningman.com/preparation/e ... water.html

What about scattering my grey water? What might be okay for a small (less than 5 people) group doesn't work in a large city. For reasons of sanitation, and sheer volume, both Black Rock City and the BLM discourage scattering. However, if you're in a very small camp, with minimal dish and body washing water, you might choose to pour your grey water through a filter or sieve (better, a paint sieve or even pantyhose), disinfect the water, then, since it is treated, disperse it on your street to keep down dust. A watering can works nicely for sprinkling.

What can be used to disinfect the water?
essjay

Postby junglesmacks » Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:25 pm

essjay wrote:What can be used to disinfect the water?

Good question. I would assume tiny bit o' bleach?
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Camp Name: Your mom's tent

Postby trilobyte » Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:48 am

We don't scatter all gray water, just the light duty stuff. My girlfriend manages our camp's 'dry kitchen' and it produces incredibly little waste water. The stuff that gets cleared for dispersal gets treated with a little bleach (I believe) and filtered through a cheese cloth before being dispersed on the street (via big red watering can). What's deemed too funky goes to our evap pond.

From a practical standpoint, you'd want to use a much finer filtration system if you planned to put gray water in it, otherwise you might get stuck dealing with clogged nozzles or trouble with the hoses.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby unjonharley » Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:50 am

I'll practice this winter, making yellow snow..
unjonharley

Return to Transportation