Road Safety To and From the Burn

Bikes, trikes, personal mobility and mutant vehicles - this is the place to discuss general transportation issues. For ride and RV shares, please go to Share Resources.

Road Safety To and From the Burn

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:25 pm

I don't know that I've ever noticed such stupid driving...
1--If your bus or whatever overheats and you have to stop by the side of the road and wait for help, don't have the whole troop of hippies get out of the bus and stand by the side of the road... You are probably safer staying inside the vehicle. If someone has to get out to look at things, let him/her do it. If you insist on getting out, remember this can kill you. If you are in front of the vehicle, there's a chance that another vehicle can crash into yours, and push yours over you. If you are behind, you can be hit directly. I suppose way to the right is okay, depending on terrain. To the left, between traffic and your car, stupid, stupid, stupid. (I'm not absolutely certain what the safest place is, but can think of at least two eplayans who would have much more insight.)
2--Be careful of what you are loading and driving. For that drive, we probably drive bigger vehicles and/or have bigger loads than we are used to. Often it's good to be outside your comfort zone. Sometimes, not so much.
3--Hit the rabbits
4--Don't hit the cows (they like to sit on 447 at night)
5--Don't pass on overcrowded county roads

I know there's more. This is all I can pull out of myself right now.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Re: Road Safety To and From the Burn

Postby jkisha » Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:52 pm

And I might add: tie down your load properly. Lots of litter this year both on and off the road. Ridiculous and dangerous.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:01 pm

Thank you. I knew I was missing some of the basics...
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Sail Man » Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:03 pm

I agree CF, it was the vehicles broken down on the side of the road that seemed to slow things down the most. At least this year I didn't see any destroyed campers. But the litter, I can't understand why some people just don't get it as far as securing their loads. Maybe they need to hit Retrofrolic next year for some bondage lessons :lol:
Excuse me Ma'am, your going to feel a small prick.

Algorithms never survive the first thirty seconds of patient contact
Sail Man

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Kidsville: Delicious

Postby aknod » Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:41 pm

Don't pass a bus (or anyone else, but ESPECIALLY a bus) in a no passing zone uphill through the hills before Eagleville. Idiot. I know my bus is slow. I pull over and get out of the way when it's safe. Sometimes it's not possible and you have to have patience. Or die. That Darwin guy always wins. Eventually.
We needs bumper (or other) stickers!
http://stickerbus.blogspot.com
aknod

Postby Simon of the Playa » Tue Jul 24, 2012 3:25 pm

thought i would bump this as i have been asked twice today about the road in and what a newb should expect.

here is part my response...

25 mph in Nixon, Empire and Gerlach MEANS 25 miles an Hour, not 26.

i cant stress this enough.

there is no reason for you to speed....it is G*d's country, take it in...and the Police and Highway Patrol DO NOT FUCK AROUND...25 means 25, no more......seriously.

obey the speed limits, watch for stray cattle and stray burners, who often pull over where they shouldnt.

dont do this either....ONLY IN CLEARLY MARKED TURN OUTS.

people like to go flying down this road.....theyre either locals, or they're idiots...

the locals know the roads, you dont.

DONT PASS THAT RV UNLESS IT IS ABSOLUTELY SAFE!!!

are the extra five minutes you save REALLY worth a potential disaster?

no, they are not.

if you stray into the brush WEAR BOOTS FOR G*D'S SAKE....there are critters out there who want to bite your toes.

DONT THROW CIGARETTES ANYWHERE....out the window, while you are stopped....watch that cherry....it is dry and you could easily start a brush fire.

DO NOT DRINK AND DRIVE....duh

DO NOT GET HIGH AND DRIVE...double duh.

wait until you have parked your vehicle in your camp to do ANY of that stuff...EVEN IN BRC you are subject to the same laws and then some...NO OPEN CONTAINERS near the driver...

park the car...turn it off....now you can party if you wish.

you've made it safely and thats a good reason to celebrate.
breathe deep, the playa is the dust of your ancestors

A gift for the Playa
Simon of the Playa

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Postby Savannah » Tue Jul 24, 2012 3:45 pm

Wrap the ends of your collection of PVC pipe, if transporting the monkey hut framework tied to a vehicle. Otherwise, even if the group is tightly gripped in several places, one pipe may work its way loose, slide out onto the road and cause an accident.
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby plantmandan » Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:38 am

IF YOU ARE SLEEPY, PULL OVER AND REST!!!!

On my way home from the burn in 2004, I fell asleep at the wheel (just ten miles from home) and totaled my car. It's a miracle nobody was injured.
plantmandan

Burning Since: 2002

Postby pink » Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:54 pm

Hotel rooms in Reno are really cheap. Last year I drove directly home to Sacramento rather than stopping in Reno as I've done in years past-I left tuesday instead of exodus Monday so I figured it wouldn't be too bad. BUT it was after spending several hours tearing down camp in the hot sun, instead of sitting for a couple of hours in the exodus line. By the time I hit Sac, I was exhausted. Not having a/c in my van didn't help any, and the van is not like driving a car. It takes attention & patience.

Point is, I'm spending tuesday night in Reno this year. Either the BDV burner special or my usual Silver Legacy-just got an email for a $39 special which is $10 less than I've ever paid. Drive carefully, and come home in one piece.
I'm not a slut, I'm good time floozy!
pink

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Retrofrolic

Postby Rice » Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:09 pm

Every year I see two or three vehicles that have left the road and rolled into a ravine... For the love of god, Drive the dam speed limit. Don't try to pass. Pull off the road if you are even a bit tired.

Every other year, I see a burnt up RV. Keep a fire extinguisher between the driver and passenger, and a second one by the door. Don't store fuel containers inside your RV. If it is a rental, make sure you know where the extinguisher is located.

If you stop, make sure that your vehicle, trailer, RV, whatever is not still on the highway. At best you could cause an accident.

Give yourself enough time to drive home. The roads are going to be crowed and probably slower than the speed limit. Allow for that when your leave.

No matter what you think, you are way more tired than your realize. Stopping to rest a couple times on the drive to Reno is not a bad thing.

Remember, other people are on the road. Do you want to be responsible for injuring or killing anyone?? No, I didn't think so...
Love Rice

Roach: "I feel like in this day and age, every girl should know how to build a flamethrower."
Rice

Burning Since: 2007

Postby ranger magnum » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:20 pm

Tires. Tire failure is a big problem. If your tires are more than 8 years old, replace them. Even if the tread looks fine, the rubber has degraded enough that the ply's can separate, especially when hot. There are DOT date codes on the inside sidewall of every tire. Have a competent tire shop read it for you. If you see any cracking where the tread meets the sidewall, replace the tire. A blown tire will take out a lot of shit as it comes off the wheel, especially on an rv or travel trailer.
Drugs may take you down the road to nowhere, but at least its the scenic route.
ranger magnum

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: Camp Yonder/Ottoman Empire

Postby Jackass » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:36 pm

Don't forget your trailer's wheel bearings. What bearings you say? Each wheel has two of them, if you can't remember the last time it was done, do it. If you think a tire coming apart can do some damage wait til you see your tire, wheel and hub come off. Major damage, plus a heavy rolling projectile. On second thought have the bearings packed anyway, they need all the help they can get.
Don't worry, it'll get weird...
Jackass

Postby AntiM » Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:25 am

Have hydration and snacks and at least your shady hat at hand in your vehicle. No need to get dehydrated and sunburned while waiting for a tow. Most important for those using I-80 heading home eastward.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Return to Transportation