Stuck in NYC because of Irene...

Bikes, trikes, personal mobility and mutant vehicles - this is the place to discuss general transportation issues. For ride and RV shares, please go to Share Resources.

Stuck in NYC because of Irene...

Postby idoharto » Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:25 am

Hey People,
I am in NYC and according to all signs my flight scheduled for Sunday noon won't take off since it is about the time the hurricane Irene will hit the city which means I am going to miss my ride from Reno.
In case I take a flight after the storm, on Monday or Tuesday, do you think there will still be rides leaving from the Reno airport on Monday and Tuesday?
They say expect the unexpected, and Irene certainly is within the category...
Hoping for the best and expecting the worst
Ido
idoharto

Re: Stuck in NYC because of Irene...

Postby Sham » Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:27 am

All the airlines are waiving the fees for changes. Why don't you see about changing it to today or tomorrow. :D

There is a hospitaliy table near the luggage area at the airpot in Reno. They should be able to assit you in getting a ride. At very least, you can hang there and ask if anyone if going that way.
Sham

Postby Captain » Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:42 am

I'm actually on a flight right now from JFK to SF, got out in time!

You can try to change your flight to today or tomorrow, or you could fly out of NYC today to the midwest, and then spend the night there and then fly to Reno on Sunday.
Captain

Postby Eric » Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:02 am

There will be rideshares from the Reno airport probably at least through Thursday, so you'll be fine on Monday or Tues. I would change your flight immediately however- I had a friend switch his in the middle of the night last night & he got the very last seat out on Virgin all day today.
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scalpers and Scammers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby Shan D » Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:54 pm

I reserved a spot using a rideshare off of Craigslist. Several of the veteran burners have suggested using Rideshare Services rather than looking for a ride when you get to the airport. You pay for what you get in most cases... However, with the rideshare I've booked with, Ive found him to be very helpful. The driver is a local professional who is offering shuttling services three times a day with a stop off at Walmart for your supplies. Here's a link with his information and with his schedule. http://reno.craigslist.org/rid/2560313651.html Good Luck with your trip out here.
Shan D

Postby icd2k3 » Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:12 pm

Soo bummed, first time burner stuck in NYC til tuesday afternoon... wont get to camp til around 11-12 tuesday night. All this planning and excitement ruined by a freak storm. Fuck off irene!

Anyone else in the same boat?
icd2k3

Postby feistypenguin » Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:39 pm

From Virginia here; my flight on Saturday was cancelled by the airline and a US Airways robot called me today telling me so. The robot gave me a number to call, and when I did a nice lady from Phoenix answered and said "Flight was cancelled from the hurricane, huh? Wanna reschedule?" It was a bit of a surreal experience.

She got me on a flight a day earlier (today) and it was the laaast seat on the plane. So I managed to dodge that bullet!

Yea with flights... and car rental fees... and hotel reservations... I'd be out a lot of money if I couldn't make that flight. :shock:
After painstakingly researching the new ticket sale system, I have deduced that there is an inverse relationship between fretting about the ticket system, and the length of time one is able to stay aroused during coitus. Please spread the word!
feistypenguin

Postby Eric » Sat Aug 27, 2011 12:43 am

To cheer up everyone riding out the storm one of my favorite stupid websites put up 23 versions of "Goodnight Irene". A little something for your aural pleasure while your power lasts.
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scalpers and Scammers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Return to Transportation