I have traveled in the USA before using an IDP and this is my understanding......
- You don't need an IDP in the USA *IF* your license is in English.
- You don't need an IDP to hire a car if you have a valid license from your home country that is in English. Also, insurance is the same price regardless of where your from.
- IDP is really nothing more than a translator to translate the conditions of your license from whatever language you license is in, into the country your driving in's language (i.e English)
- You IDP is useless unless you have your license with you
- IDP is easy to get, just turn up to a place that issues them with a passport photo and they should create it on the spot
Why do I carry an IDP if my license in English? IDP aren't very expensive and easy to get hold of. While I don't need it, I figure it is easier to have it and hand it over to a police officer if I get pulled over. This saves the argument if he doesn't know the law properly and doesn't know that my Australian drivers license allows me to drive in the USA.
If any of the above is incorrect, please feel free to correct me. I'm about to hire a vehicle again to drive out to BM, so it will help if you point out I'm wrong