International Driving Permit [IDP]

Bikes, trikes, personal mobility and mutant vehicles - this is the place to discuss general transportation issues. For ride and RV shares, please go to Share Resources.

International Driving Permit [IDP]

Postby stefek99 » Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:15 am

Do I have to have one in order to drive legally in US?

[b]References:[/b]
1) http://www.usa.gov/Topics/Foreign_Visit ... ving.shtml
[quote]The United States does NOT issue International Driving Permits to foreign visitors, so you will need to obtain this document before traveling to the U.S.
[/quote]
2) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Driver's_l ... ted_States
3) http://www.dmvnv.com/

I booked a car some time ago and I'm worried if I will be allowed to drive... I don't time to obtain IDP from my country at this stage... :(
Currently in London: saving money... Gonna make it!
stefek99

Re: International Driving Permit [IDP]

Postby gyre » Sun Aug 21, 2011 4:57 pm

It sounds like it is required.

You might find a state that will give you a license (not new york).
Those laws change all the time.
Having a license from home will help with that.

So you have a license, just not an idp?
If you can rent a car, drive like you have a revoked license, ie carefully.

If you get stopped, give them all the paperwork you have, smile and jabber on in your native language, even if it is britslang.

If you haven't done anything too serious, you might be okay.
gyre

Postby pizzamancer » Sun Aug 21, 2011 5:38 pm

Insurance is going to be killer.
pizzamancer

Burning Since: 2008

Postby damhey » Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:35 am

I have traveled in the USA before using an IDP and this is my understanding......

- You don't need an IDP in the USA *IF* your license is in English.
- You don't need an IDP to hire a car if you have a valid license from your home country that is in English. Also, insurance is the same price regardless of where your from.
- IDP is really nothing more than a translator to translate the conditions of your license from whatever language you license is in, into the country your driving in's language (i.e English)
- You IDP is useless unless you have your license with you
- IDP is easy to get, just turn up to a place that issues them with a passport photo and they should create it on the spot

Why do I carry an IDP if my license in English? IDP aren't very expensive and easy to get hold of. While I don't need it, I figure it is easier to have it and hand it over to a police officer if I get pulled over. This saves the argument if he doesn't know the law properly and doesn't know that my Australian drivers license allows me to drive in the USA.

If any of the above is incorrect, please feel free to correct me. I'm about to hire a vehicle again to drive out to BM, so it will help if you point out I'm wrong :D
damhey

Return to Transportation