Leaving the Playa (and other questions)

Bikes, trikes, personal mobility and mutant vehicles - this is the place to discuss general transportation issues. For ride and RV shares, please go to the year-specific Share Resources board.

Leaving the Playa (and other questions)

Postby mommaratkins » Fri Aug 19, 2011 5:11 pm

Hi, I'm Luci and I've never been to BM before. I know it is reccomended that each visitor to BRC takes two hours to help pick up MOOP before leaving, but can I stay until Tuesday to help? If not, are we required to leave by a certain time on Monday? Also, is it really as bad as I think it will be to use a port-a-potty in the desert? Will there be long lines for the bathrooms? One more question, I am arriving alone and not meeting anyone that I know at the event, so should I be looking beforehand online to join a camp or can I expect that I can wait until I get there to decide? (I have my own camping supplies.)
mommaratkins

Re: Leaving the Playa (and other questions)

Postby Sham » Fri Aug 19, 2011 5:38 pm

mommaratkins wrote:Hi, I'm Luci and I've never been to BM before. I know it is reccomended that each visitor to BRC takes two hours to help pick up MOOP before leaving, but can I stay until Tuesday to help? If not, are we required to leave by a certain time on Monday? Also, is it really as bad as I think it will be to use a port-a-potty in the desert? Will there be long lines for the bathrooms? One more question, I am arriving alone and not meeting anyone that I know at the event, so should I be looking beforehand online to join a camp or can I expect that I can wait until I get there to decide? (I have my own camping supplies.)

Welcome mommar......! Let me try to help answer some of your concerns here.
Yes, you can stay until Tuesday and help clean up the moop. there will be stuff left behind, but if all goes well, everyone takes their own crap out with them. Your offer to stay is very much appreciated.
There are rows and rows of port-a-potties for you bodily functions. They are well maintained several times a day, and if people are respectful, you will always get a "friendly potty" to use. In my head, I would say that there are 30 port-a-potties in a row. The waits are not bad at all, and usually you can step right in. Don't fear the potties.
At this late time, you probably will not be able to join a camp. There are oodles of open camping areas and you will quickly meet your neighbors and make friends---I promise. My best part of every day is to head off by myself and see things and meet people. You will not feel alone at any time--honest.
Again, Welcome and get ready for the most amazing time of your life. (but have no expectations)
Sham

Postby Elderberry » Fri Aug 19, 2011 5:49 pm

Hey there, welcome to eplaya!

Have questions? Read this first: http://www.burningman.com/first_timers/
Everybody on eplaya is always excited to help first timers; but in sympathy for some of us old timers, please get your required reading out of the way before posting. As hard as it is to rein in the the excitement and enthusiasm, and as unbelievable as it might seem, most of your questions have already been asked and answered, if you just take a moment to read.

Now, let the adventure begin!
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
Elderberry

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby mommaratkins » Sat Aug 20, 2011 5:24 am

Thank you for answering my questions! I have read the first timers guide, along with practically every thing available on the website. Thanks again!!!!!!!!!!!!!
mommaratkins

Postby trilobyte » Sat Aug 20, 2011 9:41 am

Hi Luci, welcome to ePlaya! I've given this thread a nudge on over to Q&A, since I think it's a better fit.

What they said! I'm planning to stay til Tuesday this year. Gives us plenty of time for cleanup, plus we'll have no lines when we leave and no line at the taco stand on our way out :-)
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Return to Transportation