where to get bikes in reno

Bikes, trikes, personal mobility and mutant vehicles - this is the place to discuss general transportation issues. For ride and RV shares, please go to the year-specific Share Resources board.

where to get bikes in reno

Postby red arrow » Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:10 am

anyone know any good places that will have bikes available on Sunday 28th / Monday 29th August?

flying in from europe (to SFO on sat) and will arrive in reno on sunday afternoon

hope to buy / rent / whatever a bike for the burn but just wana check if anyone has any advice

"...but no explanation, no mix of words or music or memories can touch that sense of knowing that you were there and alive in that corner of time and the world. Whatever it meant..." - Hunter S Thompson
red arrow

Re: where to get bikes in reno

Postby junglesmacks » Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:10 am

Walmart or Reno Bike Project
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby viajera80 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:16 am

The Reno Bike Project can sell out early, according to their website:

http://www.renobikeproject.com/index.ph ... man-bikes/

Right now the Wal-Fart stores have a bunch of cruiser bikes sitting outside, but get there as soon as you can. You will pay about $80-$150 for a bike.
viajera80

Postby lucky.bastard » Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:22 am

i'm flying in also and took the advice of some wise eplayers and bought a bike from walmart online and had it shipped to the reno walmart where it should be sitting waiting for me when i land ( they hold them for 21 days ) ..., you will probally have to tighten up a couple of bolts and inflate the tires but the bike was cheap and you can choose the one you want and have it waiting for you when you get there ( i think the wide tire beach cruisers are the best )

see you in the dust

lb
"In cultivating my own personal sojourn of enlightenment, I've had to forego employment opportunities "
lucky.bastard

Postby Canoe » Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:51 am

Kiwanis program reported sold out, but just checked and see that now (Aug 19th, 2011) their site says
"We also have a limited number of bikes for sale on-site for anyone who didn't make a reservation.".
http://www.kiwanisbikes.org/burningman.htm
"Bikes available are ready to ride and are sturdy enough to survive the playa. ... All Burning Man bikes are $30-$50.... Hours will be 9:00am - 9:00pm During this Period"

The bikes are good enough (you pick through them to find one you like, then they check it out mechanically before you leave), and you don't have to feel bad about them getting trashed by playa dust. Personally, I recommend getting one with BOTH brakes working, even though you won't be exceeding the BRC 5 mph speed limit.

Additionally, they usually have a few bikes for sale at the Save Mart on Keystone.

If you're really stuck and end up without one in Reno, watch the route along the way to the playa for individuals selling bikes at the side of the road and in Gerlach.
And if worst comes to worst, there's the BRC Yellow Bike program.

(starting to see more and more warnings about traffic on the I-80 in Reno while it's under construction)
Highway to Hell. Stairway to Heaven.Traffic prediction?
Odd. No bears in the dump. Oh well, lets go across the road & pick blueberries.
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.
Canoe

Postby Canoe » Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:53 am

If you're going the Walmart route, remember that there are a number of different locations around Reno. Stock (and after midnight Burner crowd) varies.
Highway to Hell. Stairway to Heaven.Traffic prediction?
Odd. No bears in the dump. Oh well, lets go across the road & pick blueberries.
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.
Canoe

Postby theCryptofishist » Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:44 am

The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby trilobyte » Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:11 pm

If you're buying, you'll also want to look up information on places to take your bike to and donate it afterwards (assuming you won't want to take it or ship it home). Goodwill is a charity that ought to have a few drop-off locations in the Reno area, or you could keep your eyes open for the Reno resource guide that will likely get updated and published in the Jack Rabbit Speaks in the summer (the Reno area burners compile/update a list of useful places for burners passing through).
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby lemur » Sun Jan 22, 2012 5:20 pm

it hasnt been mentioned yet..

i used them in 2007 .. it was convenient.. nice people.. lotsa bikes..

dunno how theyve changed, or if their location is even the same.. since 2007.. but hey! heres some info

it appears that they are still around cuz they got mentioned in 2011 in the jack rabbit speaks from aug 5 2011:

Say you're flying into Reno, or you don't want to haul a bike from across the country. We've got a few favorite bike shops every year that really take care of us Burners, and we'd like to let you know about them again...

Black Rock Bicycles
7550 Hillview Drive - 775-972-3336
The only bike outfit in Reno catering primarily to Burners, Black Rock Bikes offers brand new, high quality cruisers for women and men at very reasonable prices, as well as a variety of bike accessories (el-wire and other lighting, locks, bells, baskets, racks, fashion, and backup supplies). Due to enormous demand for their bikes all summer, they have a limited supply left -- get 'em while they last. To get one, go to their website at http://www.blackrockbicycles.com. NOTE: They are out of rentals -- something to check out early next year. And, finally, if you want to return a bike purchased from this shop post-Burning Man, they will donate money for the value of the bike to Washoe County Safe Kids, a local program supporting the prevention of unintentional injuries to kids.
Don't link to anything here!
lemur

Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Postby FeetOfClay » Sun Jul 08, 2012 4:37 am

Just checked out the REno Bike Project site, and they did say that they tend to sell out "by Thu of the event week" (I would have thought it would be earlier!), and that they DO NOT take reservations...

I am running into some logistical problems with schlepping my bike from NY to NV, so it looks like I will be sourcing a bike in Reno. I am arriving on Sunday before the event, and hoping that RBP still has bikes...how could they last until THU?! That seems wildly optimistic to me...I'd imagine they'd be gone before then.

Wish they would take phone reservations :(
What is this quintessence of dust?
FeetOfClay

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Anonymous Village

Postby junglesmacks » Sun Jul 08, 2012 4:50 am

They mean the Thursday the actual week of the burn. You're arriving Sunday. You'll be fine!

The two times that I've been there on the Sunday of entry, they had bikes coming out of their ears. However.. their bikes are $50 (possibly $60?) and pretty beat up. For $38 more, you could get a brand new one from Wallyworld online and have it shipped and waiting for you to pick up at the store. You could either donate it after or find someone that may be willing to transport it to and from the burn for next year..

Damn, they used to be cheaper.
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Return to Transportation