DMV & Disabled Persons

Bikes, trikes, personal mobility and mutant vehicles - this is the place to discuss general transportation issues. For ride and RV shares, please go to the year-specific Share Resources board.

DMV & Disabled Persons

Postby strawberrybunnie » Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:24 am

I have a friend who is disabled and is needing to take a golf cart out to the playa. He filled out the necessary forms, and was told he would receive an email in 24 hours. This was 2 weeks ago. I know the deadline for mutant vehicles was the end of June, does this also apply for a disabled license? And if so, is there anything my friend can do at this point? I know the website says not to bring one if it has not been pre-registered, but I'm wondering if he takes it out there, if they will allow it since he is disabled and is not able to get around.
strawberrybunnie

Re: DMV & Disabled Persons

Postby Rice » Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:34 am

strawberrybunnie wrote:I have a friend who is disabled and is needing to take a golf cart out to the playa. He filled out the necessary forms, and was told he would receive an email in 24 hours. This was 2 weeks ago. I know the deadline for mutant vehicles was the end of June, does this also apply for a disabled license? And if so, is there anything my friend can do at this point? I know the website says not to bring one if it has not been pre-registered, but I'm wondering if he takes it out there, if they will allow it since he is disabled and is not able to get around.

Has your friend contacted the DMV to see what happened?? Does your friend have a disabled placard and/or documentation stating that they need a disabled permit? Has all of this information been provided?? Again, have your friend contact the DMV and find out for sure what is happening.. K, please! Soon... Like maybe now ;)

Well, you could bring the golf cart, but if it is not pre-approved, you will need to either take it home or sign a liability release and leave it in a lot outside of gate. (Yes, the rules they have established do apply)

Good Luck!

Love Rice
Love Rice

Roach: "I feel like in this day and age, every girl should know how to build a flamethrower."
Rice

Burning Since: 2007

Postby strawberrybunnie » Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:43 am

He has all the necessary docs and has contacted the DMV a couple times already, but has not heard anything. I guess he will just have to chance it! Thank you for your help. :)
strawberrybunnie

Postby Rice » Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:48 am

strawberrybunnie wrote:He has all the necessary docs and has contacted the DMV a couple times already, but has not heard anything. I guess he will just have to chance it! Thank you for your help. :)

When you get to the gate, make sure to have the paperwork handy. Be sure to bring printouts of what was submitted, and any emails relating to those submissions.

Those overworked gals and guys at gate will do their best to help you out. Ask for help, be polite, and patient (etc, etc...)

Good luck!

See ya on the playa.

Love Rice
Love Rice

Roach: "I feel like in this day and age, every girl should know how to build a flamethrower."
Rice

Burning Since: 2007

Postby gyre » Sun Aug 14, 2011 1:40 pm

If he has the placard and paperwork, he will be able to use it.

He may have to wait or leave the cart until he enters and talks to the dmv.
The cart will still need to be tagged by the dmv, or he will be constantly stopped.
gyre

Postby Igneouss » Sun Aug 14, 2011 6:06 pm

The DMV has the right to refuse. I have no doubt they get their fare share of bogus requests...
That said, you'll be fine.
There are regulars on this board that are handicapped. They can advise from experience.
Basic b/e analysis:
2005 $243K
06 $855K
07 $1.0M
08 $1.1M
09 $0
10 $1.1M
11 $1.2M
12 $1.2M
That’s $6.8M that thousands of volunteers deserve to know about. Capitalism is alive at BM. Tickets are the commodity. Others have estimated higher profits.
Igneouss

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:01 am

Deadline was July 31. I sent mine in mid-July and got an invitation back in 48 hours, if that.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby portaplaya » Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:19 pm

strawberrybunnie wrote:I have a friend who is disabled and is needing to take a golf cart out to the playa. He filled out the necessary forms, and was told he would receive an email in 24 hours. This was 2 weeks ago. I know the deadline for mutant vehicles was the end of June, does this also apply for a disabled license?

If you sent your request in after the July 31st deadline for handicap vehicles, that is probably why you have not heard anything. As Gyre says, you will have to leave the golf cart outside of the city and straighten it out with the team that is on-playa. Make sure that you can unload the golf cart easily, since that will almost certainly be required and you don't want to spend eight hours unpacking and repacking. (Yes, Gate will watch you do this if they have too.)

No guarantees on what is going to happen once you talk to DMV. After all, the standing rule is "no vehicles". You are trying to get an exception to the standing rule without following their clearly stated procedure. It's not hopeless if you have a placard and the medical documentation, but I would make a contingency plan if you can. After all, there are plenty of handicapped individuals who can't afford to bring a golf cart and they seem to enjoy the event.
portaplaya

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:07 pm

portaplaya wrote: After all, there are plenty of handicapped individuals who can't afford to bring a golf cart and they seem to enjoy the event.

I'm glad I went in 08 and 09 and I really hope that the issues I'm facing won't interfere with my being there in 11, but I hated getting caught in the dust drifts or on those washboarded hard surface. I didn't see much of the city. There is no way I can get on to most art cars. People were very gracious about pulling/pushing me out of hte dust, but I hate being reminded multiple times a day that things just aren't built for me. Which is why I started this thread for information and brain-storming.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Return to Transportation