Will Call change for 2011

Bikes, trikes, personal mobility and mutant vehicles - this is the place to discuss general transportation issues. For ride and RV shares, please go to Share Resources.

Will Call change for 2011

Postby Lord Of Ruin » Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:01 pm

Folks

Will Call/Box Office will now be located on the LEFT side as you approach the Gate. If you're headed for Will Call, you want to make your way into the second to left lane as you come off the highway. (Far Left lane is marked off, and is still the exit lane leading out.)

It'll all make sense once you see the new layout...but tell your friends....Will CAll = Left Side this year!

LoR
The fox provides for himself, but God provides for the lion - W. Blake (attribution corrected)
Lord Of Ruin

Burning Since: 2017

Re: Will Call change for 2011

Postby Savannah » Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:04 pm

I hope to God there will be signs. As someone mentioned in another thread: thanks to the ticket sell-out, we all know how many people aren't reading Jack Rabbit Speaks and ePlaya . . .

Do you happen to know if there will be signs? I can't imagine there wouldn't be. The exit lane must be marked, after all. :)
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby Rice » Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:07 pm

There will be signs!

Problem: There is no way to FORCE people to read them...

Rice
Love Rice

Roach: "I feel like in this day and age, every girl should know how to build a flamethrower."
Rice

Burning Since: 2007

Postby Raymaker » Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:08 pm

were is the reference to this?
Raymaker

Postby Savannah » Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:09 pm

Hopefully, Will Call will be lit up like a Christmas tree. :)

Raymaker, the references to the Will Call office move are in the Jack Rabbit Speaks Burning Man newsletter, which can be a very important source of last minute information. You can join the email newsletter here:

http://www.burningman.com/blackrockcity ... lists.html

I hope this change will soon be mentioned in an obvious place on the main Burning Man site. I note that--as of this moment--the Tickets page (and its Will Call section) have not yet been updated about this.

If you're concerned, watch for the signs when you come in.
Savannah

Postby FIGJAM » Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:15 pm

Spread the word far and wide by any means possible, because having people trying to cross ALL lanes to get where they need to be is going to make first night entry looooooonger, noooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby mrchiff » Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:30 pm

Savannah wrote:I hope to God there will be signs. As someone mentioned in another thread: thanks to the ticket sell-out, we all know how many people aren't reading Jack Rabbit Speaks and ePlaya . . .

Do you happen to know if there will be signs? I can't imagine there wouldn't be. The exit lane must be marked, after all. :)

nobody reads then anyway
mrchiff

Postby mrchiff » Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:31 pm

FIGJAM wrote:Spread the word far and wide by any means possible, because having people trying to cross ALL lanes to get where they need to be is going to make first night entry looooooonger, noooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!

Hey folks, here's a heads up as posted in the JRS. The location for the Box
Office/Will Call lot has changed this year. It will be to your LEFT as you
approach the Gate.

This change happened very recently, after the Survival Guide went to print.

NEW FOR 2011 - WILL CALL IS LOCATED ON THE *LEFT SIDE OF GATE ROAD* AS YOU
APPROACH THE GATE. STAY IN THE SECOND LANE FROM THE LEFT TO MAKE A LEFT TURN
INTO THE WILL CALL LOT. (The left most lane on Gate Road is the exit lane).

Note: Don't panic if you can't get to the suggested lane, yet be advised you
will be heading LEFT to get to Will Call. There is a managed traffic zone
that will allow vehicles from any lane to safely cross over to the Box
Office/Will Call area.
The nice Gate folks will be happy to assist.
http://gate.burningman.com/faq-gate
mrchiff

Postby jkisha » Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:33 pm

The very first post in is thread is the reference to this. What? You don't believe LOR? :twisted: :shock:
Raymaker wrote:were is the reference to this?
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby trilobyte » Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:35 pm

There will be plenty of signs, hopefully spread out along the several miles of dusty road leading from the highway to the gates. If there's zero traffic and you're not paying any attention to either signs or the 5mph speed limit, then yeah you might miss it. But hey, there's zero traffic - crossing to the other side shouldn't be a problem. If it's bumper to bumper for miles, there should be ample opportunity to see the signs.

It's also mentioned in the "What To Expect At The Gate" section of today's 'Getting To Burning Man' edition of the Jack Rabbit Speaks. Pertinent bit below
Jack Rabbit Speaks wrote:#3. KNOW WHERE YOU NEED TO GO
Buying a ticket or picking up a Will Call ticket?: NEW FOR 2011 - WILL CALL IS LOCATED ON THE LEFT SIDE OF GATE ROAD AS YOU APPROACH THE GATE. STAY IN THE SECOND LANE FROM THE LEFT TO MAKE A LEFT TURN INTO THE WILL CALL LOT. (The left most lane on Gate Road is the exit lane). Go to Will Call, get your tickets and then get in line. Don't have one person in your vehicle go to will call while you wait in the entry line - every year many people lose their rides. Everyone must STAY WITH THEIR VEHICLE.

It's also on the Gate crew's site, on the Getting In: The Gate FAQ. Pertinent bit below
Gate Crew FAQ wrote:What if I need to go to Will Call/Box Office?
The following steps should help make your Box Office visit smoother:
  • Upon arrival, do NOT proceed to the Gate to be searched if you do not have your tickets in hand for all people in the car.
  • NEW FOR 2011 - WILL CALL IS LOCATED ON THE LEFT SIDE OF GATE ROAD AS YOU APPROACH THE GATE. STAY IN THE SECOND LANE FROM THE LEFT TO MAKE A LEFT TURN INTO THE WILL CALL LOT. (The left most lane on Gate Road is the exit lane). This will be BEFORE you reach the Gate.
  • Go to Will Call/Box Office, get your tickets and return to your vehicle
  • Guide your vehicle back into the entry lines via the marked lane from the Will Call lot.
  • Proceed to the Gate for vehicle search and entry into the City!

We'll also get an announcement put up in the TIckets and Share Resources sections shortly. I know we're hitting the fever pitch of information overload right now, but this one's worth putting on the radar.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby Lord Of Ruin » Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:56 pm

It will technically be self-evident as well, since boxoffice, the gate itself and DLot are all moved over there. Only the stack lot will remain over on the other side. So if you're looking to your right as you pull up to the gate you'll see......playa. And flags....

Over on the left, you'll see the gate, lights, portos, boxoffice, etc.

Yes, it will be heavily signed. I personally think we shouldn't sign it....if you're too fuckin' stupid to figure out "Hey, it's over there..." you probably should have your tickets revoked. But then again I'm cranky this time of year.

LoR
The fox provides for himself, but God provides for the lion - W. Blake (attribution corrected)
Lord Of Ruin

Postby Savannah » Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:00 pm

Signs should be up if only to prevent the non-reading fools from causing delays and unsafe conditions for the smart or obedient.

There. That's how you can feel less cranky about it. :)
Savannah

Postby Sic Pup » Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:23 pm

FYI, this info did not make the print Survival Guide which still indicates the right lane which is understandable but this is just silly.

It should be entertaining if nothing else.

Don't panic.
"Enjoy every sandwich" - W. Zevon
Sic Pup

Postby Rice » Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:36 pm

It looks like the info also did not make it into the PDF version of the survival guide as well... {sigh} http://www.burningman.com/media/doc/pre ... _guide.pdf (page 3)

It not like gate wasn't going to be interesting this year anyhow ;) ...

Rice
Love Rice

Roach: "I feel like in this day and age, every girl should know how to build a flamethrower."
Rice

Postby SouthernExposure » Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:40 pm

They just need the right signs.

Will Call Tickets?
Expect Extra Pain!
If Yer Lookin' Over Here,
Yer in the WRONG LANE!

Burma Shave

SE
SouthernExposure

Postby jkisha » Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:44 pm

The web site? We have to update the website? Damn, what a concept. I think they'll update the info on the website right before they fix eplaya--that's a web site too, and we know how high it is on the BMORG list of priorities. :shock:
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby Savannah » Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:47 pm

SouthernExposure wrote:They just need the right signs.

Will Call Tickets?
Expect Extra Pain!
If Yer Lookin' Over Here,
Yer in the WRONG LANE!

Burma Shave

SE

:lol:
Savannah

Postby Raymaker » Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:54 pm

Savannah wrote:Raymaker, the references to the Will Call office move are in the Jack Rabbit Speaks Burning Man newsletter, which can be a very important source of last minute information.

Ahhh yes, that came this morning I just haven't read it yet, thanks.
Raymaker

Postby Lord Of Ruin » Fri Aug 12, 2011 3:47 pm

jkisha wrote:The web site? We have to update the website? Damn, what a concept. I think they'll update the info on the website right before they fix eplaya--that's a web site too, and we know how high it is on the BMORG list of priorities. :shock:

Well...the Gate website was updated within a couple hours of getting the news. The Org's site...and the Survival guide? Not so much....

LoR
Lord Of Ruin

Return to Transportation