Truck hire advice

Bikes, trikes, personal mobility and mutant vehicles - this is the place to discuss general transportation issues. For ride and RV shares, please go to the year-specific Share Resources board.

Truck hire advice

Postby solaris » Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:40 pm

Hey guys

Am travelling from London from my 7th burn, but this year I find it hard to hire a truck.
Am looking for a 16' truck to have as a living space, but it seems that all companies in Reno do not hire for BM.

I spoke to U-Haul who said they cannot hire for BM, but advised me to book online, show up and say that we are going to Vegas instead. He said they cannot refuse hire on that basis if we don't mention BM.

I have heard few horror stories about U-Haul - tracking devices, dirty trick and fat charges post burn.

Any advice please?
solaris

Re: Truck hire advice

Postby Savannah » Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:44 pm

Dr. Pyro knows a rental guy who rents to Burners, if you're willing to fly to Sacramento:

viewtopic.php?p=157956

Lots of info in that thread in general.
Savannah

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby solaris » Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:45 pm

Thanks for your reply. Posts are from 2005 - do you think this is still relevant?
solaris

Postby Savannah » Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:48 pm

Excellent point. Not sure, but Doc might see this or someone else will. ETA: Dr. Pyro says a Sacramento rental still works in the thread below, so that's a backup choice.

Try Budget truck rental on Gentry Way.

RENO TRUCK RENTAL
85 GENTRY WAY
RENO, NV 89502
(775) 825-8833

THAT referral is from a 2011 thread . . . and that rental place is still alleged to be friendly. Source:

viewtopic.php?p=646613
Savannah

Postby solaris » Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:57 pm

Thanks again - you seem to master the subject :)

Spoke to Budget on Saturday and it was a no go. However, on the thread you posted, Dr Pyro posted in March, so there is hope.
Any idea what happens if I book online, show up nicely dressed, British accent and story that am moving some show decor to Vegas? Can they really refuse hire?
Do they have tracking device?
solaris

Postby Savannah » Wed Jul 27, 2011 3:14 pm

Make sure any of the Budget Rental places you spoke to weren't the Gentry way address. There are at least 3 Budget Rentals in Reno and 2 might be hostile, but based on the second thread I linked Gentry Way was still renting as of March. Being nicely dressed (and British, haha--we're such suckers) is a big plus. Having a sealed plastic bag with clean clothes to return the truck with at the end of the week is also recommended. :) Get all fees or top limits of penalties in writing.

Some make a good faith effort to clean the truck--and say "don't use water on the inside, you'll make mud"--though I don't know whether this means use only a broom & swiffer & vinegar-dampened cloths . . . or what. I also have no clue as to tracking devices.

Here are some other interesting threads:

Avoid Budget Rental Car at the Reno Airport!
viewtopic.php?t=32414
Box truck camping tips..
viewtopic.php?t=35289
Weeklong truck rentals
viewtopic.php?t=39415
Savannah

Postby junglesmacks » Wed Jul 27, 2011 3:30 pm

Savannah wrote:Try Budget truck rental on Gentry Way.

RENO TRUCK RENTAL
85 GENTRY WAY
RENO, NV 89502
(775) 825-8833

viewtopic.php?p=646613

This. Guaranteed 110% burning friendly. Reserve online, and choose "business" rate.. it will bring the mileage rate down to $0.19/mile. Enjoy!

Check out this thread as well: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=35289&hilit=box+truck+camping+tips
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Return to Transportation