Truck + camper + trailer & car

Bikes, trikes, personal mobility and mutant vehicles - this is the place to discuss general transportation issues. For ride and RV shares, please go to Share Resources.

Truck + camper + trailer & car

Postby Rusted Iron » Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:18 pm

I thought I'd ask a question of someone who isn't trying to sell me something:

We are retiring the '88 ford 3/4 ton diesel and Alaskan camper for a long list of reasons. We bought a similar truck that is 15 years newer. Now we have to decide on a new camper. Used of course.

We've been looking campers with loaded weights of 2200 lbs and 2600 lbs. Everyone assures me that the truck can handle bigger campers along, with the mutated vehicle top the flatbed trailer that it has to tow. (the trailer is about 16' and the base car of the MV is a Honda wagon. I have to take them to the scale at the dump to weigh them.) When the truck isn't going to Burning Man, it will still have heavy things to tow I'm not as worried about going up the mountains as down them though the truck's brakes test out fine.

If anyone has experience with any of the above, I would appreciate your advice on how big camper we could safely carry.

Thanks.
Rusted Iron

Re: Truck + camper + trailer & car

Postby ygmir » Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:25 pm

I drive a 93 Dodge W350, and, it handles the new/used camper (2400 lbs, 11.5') just fine.
it's a dually, which helps with "sway" but, as far as brakes and such...just fine.
I'd think, as long as it's 3/4 ton, or better, it'll do fine.
It'd be nice to have overloads/airbags for the rear, with that camper.
Otherwise, I'd say, IPBA.

well, this year, the camper will be coming out on a different truck.
But, my pickup does fine the rest of the time.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby Rusted Iron » Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:23 pm

Great. The truck has rear airbags already. We are going to test it's towing capacity by towing an old truck on the trailer, before we add a camper.

Thanks.
Rusted Iron

Postby motskyroonmatick » Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:18 pm

The trailer has electric brakes? I found that I felt 3 times safer pulling a trailer with brakes than without. Safety is worth the effort. I'd cautiously test worst case scenario so that you know the limitations of the Truck+camper/Trailer combination.
Stag Camp 8, 2014. Black Rock City Welding and Repair.

When you pass the 4th "bridge out!" sign; the flaming death is all yours.-Knowmad-
motskyroonmatick

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: StagCamp+B.R.C. Welding&Repair.

Postby Rusted Iron » Sun Jul 24, 2011 10:10 pm

The trailer does have electric brakes which does make me more comfortable with towing with an automatic transmission.

(The old truck is a 5 speed, which saved our lives last year when two belts broke just east of Truckee, taking the power brakes out with them. I don't want to have that kind of fun again...)
Rusted Iron

Postby Rusted Iron » Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:56 pm

We ended up buying a fairly light camper, just over 1600 lbs, dry weight. It's pretty aerodynamic, for a hunk of house hooked atop a truck.
Rusted Iron

Return to Transportation