Getting to BM from far far away

Bikes, trikes, personal mobility and mutant vehicles - this is the place to discuss general transportation issues. For ride and RV shares, please go to Share Resources.

Getting to BM from far far away

Postby niallcono » Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:14 pm

I am a first-timer and attempting to make the trip this year ... I'm coming from Vancouver but i'm not from here and never even ventured to the states before so not sure what is the best way to do this.
I'm looking for the cheapest, easiest route possible and I am hoping someone who has made this trip before can lend a bit of advice, I'm new, but committed to learning all I can and any tips would be appreciated
Last edited by niallcono on Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
niallcono

Re: Getting to BM from far far away

Postby Savannah » Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:29 pm

First read this and make sure you aren't also "useless" at looking after yourself in the manner necessary, because that is the most important. :)
http://www.burningman.com/preparation/e ... index.html

Visit here to hook up with other people looking to split rides:
http://rideshare.burningman.com

And here to meet locals, which is helpful as well as a great way to go to Burner events throughout the year if you don't make it this time:
http://regionals.burningman.com/ca_bc_van.html

Be ready to express what you are good at, so you'll be able to say why people should travel with you. If you have enough money to split gas, for example, you are already doing something right. If you are talented at staking down a shade structure, this might be valuable to someone who has a car but lacks skills. See what I mean? Be really careful of labeling yourself as useless. Number one: it scares people who do pull their weight and prefer similar in campmates. Number two: You'll start to believe your own lack of hype, and try less harder immediately. (Bad scene!)

How about "new, but committed to learning all I can"? That's the only kind of virgin people want to take . . . but you have to mean it.
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby The Bee » Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:40 pm

niallcono wrote: I'm kind of useless when it comes to planning stuff like this and any tips would be appreciated

Going to Burning Man offers everyone the opportunity to change this kind of language. There's a difference between being inexperienced and being useless. Nobody is useless unless they tell themselves that they are.

I understand that travelling a long distance to a foreign country can be daunting. Planning for any big trip is difficult because you want the trip to be a success. Its success depends on so many factors that you become overwhelmed. First, decide for yourself that you're going to have fun planning the trip. Planning is part of the fun. Then, make a list, or keep a journal, or use a spreadsheet to keep track of the details. Do some initial research on your own, and when you have a specific question, come back here and tell us what you've learned and what you still need to learn.

Savannah wrote:How about "new, but committed to learning all I can"? That's the only kind of virgin people want to take . . . but you have to mean it.

Excellent reply. Very apt, not only for new folks, but for everybody. We're always learning.
The Bee

Postby percussivepaul » Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:05 pm

Hi, I live in Vancouver and it is not that far far away and not really much more difficult than what anyone else is facing; just an extra one day of driving compared to the Bay Area types. All you need is a vehicle and space for your stuff and it's a breeze; many of us do it every year and the routes are all over the web (look through the survival guide and you will find it). It's a nice drive from the north -- not as much traffic as the southerners face since the roads are lonelier, and for the last half day a lot of the other cars you see will be Burners.

Do you have a car? If so, you're set, and maybe you could even share it with someone to split the cost of gas.

Do you need a ride? If so, start looking at the rideshare boards. Also, there is a local Facebook group called 'BurningVan' that you can join (the web forum seems to be dying off). Some people on there are talking about rides. You could also look into renting a vehicle and sharing the cost. It will be expensive, probably on the order of $300 to $500 for the week, not including gas, but if you can share that with one or two other people it's maybe manageable.
percussivepaul

Postby delle » Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:33 pm

First of all, do you have a passport? Otherwise all the rest is really kinda moot.

Delle gets to digging thru her files for her passport.... Get that sucka in the "gettin' ready box" PRONTO
He soars not high who fears to fall
delle

Postby BAS » Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:29 am

You've got some excellent replies, so all I am going to say is that you should follow them. Reading the Survival Guide is possibly the most important (and something far too many people don't do...) At least back in 2006 it had a check list of items you DEFINITELY need to take, plus a check list of items which, while not essential, would make life easier and/or more enjoyable out in the dust. Also, coming here to ask for clarification of anything you don't understand is a good idea, as is checking old threads first to see if it has already been addressed (and is findable-- things tend to get missed while digging through pages of posts.) Finding local contacts and checking ride share boards is also useful.

Have fun, learn, and drink plenty of water!
"Nothing is withheld from us which we have conceived to do.
Do things that have never been done."
--Russell Kirsch
BAS

Burning Since: 2006

Postby niallcono » Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:01 am

Savannah wrote:"new, but committed to learning all I can"

Thanks so much for all the helpful and positive info, I especially appreciate the post from Savannah ... I should not have been so negative in the first place, I will take all of this on board and plan an epic trip!

I will definitely be coming back for more advise as this was super helpful! Thanks again ...
niallcono

Postby Dr. Pyro » Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:00 am

Vancouver is "far far away"? No it isn't. Anybody coming from Nebraska (actually anywhere ease of Casper, Wyoming) is coming further than you. Somebody needs a geography lesson.
Dr. Pyro

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Postby niallcono » Sat Jul 23, 2011 1:36 pm

Dr. Pyro wrote:Somebody needs a geography lesson.

It wasn't literal, no need to be nasty
niallcono

Postby Rice » Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:56 pm

niallcono wrote:
Dr. Pyro wrote:Somebody needs a geography lesson.

It wasn't literal, no need to be nasty

Hi Niallcono,

Welcome to the ePlaya!!

Dr. Pyro wasn't dishing out nasty as much as snark. Snark is dished out to everyone on the ePlaya board at one point or another, don't take it personally!

I have made the trek from Saskatchewan 3 times by car (1600 miles each way) and this will be my 2nd time flying. I suggest you get in touch with the Vancouver burners group. You will either find a ride or co-pilot quite easily. Plus it is cool to get real advice from local burners.

The drive down is kinda fun! Since your burn starts the second you hit the road, you get at least 4 more days than those NorCal burners get. Heck my drive to the US border is farther than most Bay area burners have to make... As you start heading south you will eventually come across fellow burners (exciting). The last time I drove the first burner I met was a amazing gentleman from New Jersey, who was taking his 80 year old disabled mom to the burn. ;)

Read the survival guide, it does convey decent advice. Try some google queries about stuff that concerns you (you will get pointed to ePlaya threads). If after that, feel free to ask questions of you eplayan friends. If you wonder, chances are 300 other people have the same questions.

Do you have a passport?? If not, get thy ass in gear and make it happen. There is still lots of time. When driving into the US it is important to know if anyone else in you vehicle has anything in their past which could prevent them from entering the US. Nothing would suck more than making the trek to the border and being denied entry due to someone elses problems.

Good luck!

See ya on the playa...

Rice
Love Rice

Roach: "I feel like in this day and age, every girl should know how to build a flamethrower."
Rice

Burning Since: 2007

Return to Transportation