Flight questions Luggage max??

Bikes, trikes, personal mobility and mutant vehicles - this is the place to discuss general transportation issues. For ride and RV shares, please go to the year-specific Share Resources board.

Flight questions Luggage max??

Postby subliminalkick » Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:51 pm

been reading on the delta and other flight sights
about 2 "free" 50 lb bags packed and a steep price hike after that
one of those bags will be my guitar so i'm left with one 50 LB bag to fit all my playa stuff in and its givin me a head ake

any one have any ideas or about shiping stuff to a po box there or somthin dont know
subliminalkick

Re: Flight questions Luggage max??

Postby dragonpilot » Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:07 pm

Tell us where you're at. There may be local Burners near you driving out who might have room to take some of your gear. Otherwise consider FedEx or UPS. I think their rates would be better than USPS, plus their operating hours are better. Send your stuff to the local FedEx/UPS office wherever you're landing...assuming you're flying into Reno. Pack as much as you can in your cooler(s)...tape 'em up real good.
Don't bore your friends with all your troubles. Tell your enemies instead, for they will delight in hearing about them.
dragonpilot

Burning Since: 2005

Postby junglesmacks » Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:11 pm

Hey.. WAIT. There is a "musical instrument exception".. I kid you not. I found out last year taking my drum.

http://www.delta.com/traveling_checkin/ ... /index.jsp

In a nutshell, if you are transporting an instrument, you get 115 liner inches and 100 lbs! So.. last year.. I brought my djembe in a HUGE soft case.. which weighs about 30 lbs.. then stuffed everything I could around it to make it a nice 80 lbs :) So.. can you pack anything extra in that case?

If not, go FedEx and have the shipment held at a local Kinko's in Reno. There is one not far from the airport.
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby subliminalkick » Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:02 pm

You guys rock i was really sweatin it all ready have most the stuff here and the thought of narrowing it down to 50 lb was killin me
not to mention the thought of bringin money and hoping the local stores had what i needed in stock

and cant really put too much more in the case it's a flight case bringing my aging SG----broke in a couple places and glued together again
but got every thing i could possibly go wrong with the rig in the caseflight case----i modified to cradle my guitar spot on
also
have my roland cube amp it weigh bout 9 or so pounds
i'm from cincinnati OH
now im not worried bout my grill ity bity thing but essintal still probilly be doing my grocery shoping in reno
thank you thank you thank you
subliminalkick

Postby Savannah » Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:18 pm

It you have to lighten your luggage further, it's possible to go a week without cooking on the playa if you want to (or need to). I never cook out there! But I have smoked salmon, good quality pickled foods, canned chili, fresh bread (aired daily to prevent mold), cereal, Horizon farms boxed milk, etc:

Realistic non-cooler based menu planning
viewtopic.php?t=35430
Savannah

Postby junglesmacks » Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:31 pm

Wait though.. read that luggage info. THE CASE THAT YOU ARE BRINGING THE INSTRUMENT IN, THAT ALONE can weigh up to 100 lbs. That doesn't mean anything about any of your other bags.. just that your guitar case can weigh up to 100 lbs and have 115 inches of linear length.

It sounds like you may need to ship it out, or seriously consider not bringing it at all. Honestly, there's a good chance that you may not even miss it. There's so many other things to do on the playa. Last year I literally did not even take my drum out even one time.
junglesmacks

Postby subliminalkick » Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:03 pm

all ready weighed it on the scale tops out at 79 so no prob happy happy joy joy i specialized my military ruck sack back to be a mobile musician this year planning to roam the playa finding as many jamming buddies as possible hard to find good jammers in the nati

gots the money saved and way too much for food budget ill trow it at ups to get my main internet/ hard to find stufff
proobilly going to ship
my custom tarps for my awning so so verry happy all this wasnt a prob untill my ford esscort transmission started slipping and couldnt count on it for cross country

hmmm only other possible question is that does Ups/fed ex ship bikes.......
subliminalkick

Postby junglesmacks » Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:14 pm

Yes but crating it is a pain. Rent/buy one for $40-$60.

..and wait, if I'm understanding you correctly.. you are putting your guitar inside another bag, right? ..and that bag is the one that weighs heavy, right?

If that's the case, then you should possibly be ok, but it may be up to the bag check agents mood at the time. I got away with it because it was a huge drum bag and looked like it from the outside. I would be prepared to open the bag up and show the guitar inside.. maybe even make it easily seen as soon as you open it so all your stuff doesn't come pouring out.

YMMV..
junglesmacks

Postby subliminalkick » Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:55 pm

hmmm probilly find it on here some where but rent a bike hell ya greavvvvy is there a local place that does it or......
ive read but the neon green bikes at playa but would love somthin reliable

ohhh and the case thing its a flight case got from my pops years back----industruial strenth case shaved stirafoam and covered it with velvet stapled it in to hug my guitar
dont trust the throwers much
it has 2 decent compartments in it and ive organized it a good part of this evening mostly cleaning 4 sets of spair stings sooo on im maticulis wen it comes to this crap and they fasten shut sooo "I say dont worry bout a thing cause every thing gona be allright" and with the shipping advice definatly bring a gig bag for sand storms and stuff was afraid id have to buy one down there
subliminalkick

Postby junglesmacks » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:00 pm

Google "Reno bike project". $40 used bikes.
junglesmacks

Postby Elderberry » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:05 pm

Check this post http://eplaya.burningman.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=33105&p=684331&hilit=General+delivery+Gerlach#p684331

subliminalkick wrote:been reading on the delta and other flight sights
one of those bags will be my guitar so i'm left with one 50 LB bag to fit all my playa stuff in and its givin me a head ake

any one have any ideas or about shiping stuff to a po box there or somthin dont know
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
Elderberry

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby subliminalkick » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:44 pm

thank you again my man bit if not there im sure the reno or other surrounding ups locations would
expically reno now that i think about it
going to go talk to the ups man round here bout rough prices yay
subliminalkick

Postby subliminalkick » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:53 pm

and the bike thing checked out the site thats awsome they recycle the bikes from BM ha no pun intended :-)

probilly the place of choise or read on another thread about buying a semi cheap on at wall mart or other
thank you peoples soooooooo much given me soo many ideas Really Really look foward to seein u all out there
subliminalkick

Postby Elderberry » Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:41 am

Just to clarify, that was a link to USPS info, not UPS. I thought they might be less expensive, and many people are unaware of the general delivery option.
subliminalkick wrote:thank you again my man bit if not there im sure the reno or other surrounding ups locations would
expically reno now that i think about it
going to go talk to the ups man round here bout rough prices yay
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
Elderberry

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby C.f.M. » Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:48 am

subliminalkick wrote:been reading on the delta and other flight sights

Every airline is different so you need to look at the rules for your airline.

Once upon a time, I could fly with my guitar and they'd stow it in the stewardess closet.

So much depends on the mood of the flight attendants. One cheerfully says, "Let me put that here for you!" Next flight, I have to insist that I just did it this way, please do it again!

Last year, lugging my shit was a pain and cost me an extra $250 (this year, they've raised the prices). I am NOT checking ANYthing this year, hell no. I am shipping it.
C.f.M.

Burning Since: 2009

Postby subliminalkick » Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:53 am

okie doke heres the DL from my local fedex------all branches do pick up but only hold it for 5 days then they do return ahhh
so you wold have to time the delivery with your travel expectations shipping there then =your travel time

im flying so if it takes 5 day to ship you get the picture

ups is alittle diffirent each branch is indapendtly owned so i know you can ship to them you would just have to call

my local branch will hold item indefinatly but charge 5$ a day for a waiting item they said some do that some dont
ups might be a better option if your paranoid and willing to pay a few extra bucks
hope this helps for any one who wanted to know
subliminalkick

Postby junglesmacks » Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:16 am

C - I can't imagine them starting the 5 day clock until at least they receive it.. just time it! I use FedEx for my company and they are great to work with.. WAY better than UPS who I avoid like the plague. I have stuff sent to a Kinkos all the time and meet up with it. Just get in contact with the branch you're sending it to and communicate with them and I'm sure they'll accommodate you.
junglesmacks

Postby skibear » Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:52 pm

Fly Southwest to Reno (or SMF,SFO,LAS) if you can. 2 large suitcases (50lbs max) FREE.

3rd to 9th extra bag $ 50 each.
oversize or overweight (to 100lbs) $50
http://www.southwest.com/html/customer-service/baggage/checked-bags-pol.html
hth
crash & burn ski lessons given
skibear

Burning Since: 2002

Postby Sham » Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:16 pm

I was talking to a friend of mine who is a luggage slinger at United. Because of all the insanity with the airlines fees, and the TSA bullshit, he said that they are running about half the flights they used to. The flights that are flying are usually at full capacity.
I am flying to Reno on Southwest because there is no baggage fee, but returning on United because the time works better for me. In effect, United lost half of my business because of the luggage fees. If Southwest had better times, United would have lost everything.
If you have heavier clothes, such as stomping shoes, jeans or heavy coats, try to pack those in your carry bag and keep the checked bags lighter. Don't be shy about opening your bag at the airport to take a few items out of they tell you that you're a few pounds overweight. I like to cause as much turmoil as possible when they give me a hard time. I'll refold all my underwear if I'm in the mood.
If you have to pay for bags, do it online and you can usually save a few bucks. Often times the FIRST bag you check is cheaper than the second. If there are two of you travelling with just 2 bags, be sure to check them in as the FIRST bag for each of you--not 2 bags for one person.
Many of the things that happen at the service counter are at the discretion of the counter person. Try to be nice if you can, and usually they can let a few extra pound slide. I've had baggage fees waived on occassion just by making inane small talk.
Sham

Postby Savannah » Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:54 pm

If you have heavier clothes, such as stomping shoes, jeans or heavy coats, try to pack those in your carry bag and keep the checked bags lighter.

Or wear them on the plane. A coat can be sat upon. :) Keep the arms out of your neighbors way and just have an ultra-padded seat.
Savannah

Postby C.f.M. » Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:14 am

Savannah wrote:
If you have heavier clothes, such as stomping shoes, jeans or heavy coats, try to pack those in your carry bag and keep the checked bags lighter.

Or wear them on the plane. A coat can be sat upon. :) Keep the arms out of your neighbors way and just have an ultra-padded seat.

Yeah, you're allowed a carry-on, a personal bag and a coat. Last year I had the bare neccessities in my suitcase, in case I got seperated from the suitcase. I had a backpack also stuffed to the gills, and my big cloak. It did some in handy as a pillow, but it also took up a lot of room and it was cumbersome, to get on and off and load and unload...but, I did have everything I would need for the week on my person. That's my plan again this year, fingers crossed for my shipped stuff to make it.
C.f.M.

Burning Since: 2009

Return to Transportation