Need direction advice, thx.

Bikes, trikes, personal mobility and mutant vehicles - this is the place to discuss general transportation issues. For ride and RV shares, please go to Share Resources.

Need direction advice, thx.

Postby yurtgirl » Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:05 pm

We are driving from Ohio and going thru Salt Lake and Winnemucca. My mapping program takes me down to Fernly and back up to BRC. I see a State hwy 49, I think, from Winnemucca to Sulpher and to BRC. Would that be a good way to go? Or is it a better drive going out of my way to Fernley?
Just tooooooo excited. Can't wait to go home!
There are 2 dates on your tombstone and all you're friends will read 'em, but the only thing that matters is that little dash between 'em. - Kevin Welch
yurtgirl

Re: Need direction advice, thx.

Postby some seeing eye » Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:16 pm

If you search for Jungo Road, you will find a lot of opinions on why not to use that route.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion
some seeing eye

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Postby yurtgirl » Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:22 pm

Thx, I searched the rt number and sulphur and Winnemucca. Didn't know it was called Jungo. I'll check it out.
There are 2 dates on your tombstone and all you're friends will read 'em, but the only thing that matters is that little dash between 'em. - Kevin Welch
yurtgirl

Postby yurtgirl » Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:29 pm

Looks like I'm driving thru Fernley. I'll save my excitement for the playa!
yurtgirl

Postby Savannah » Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:31 pm

Ah! State Route 49 is indeed another name for the infamous Jungo Road. I had to zoom way in on Google Maps to be sure. :D Indeed, Yurtgirl, skip it. It's unlit, unpaved, rocky, and not constantly traveled. I believe it's technically shorter, when you're just looking at a map, but the speed at which you would have to go to avoid catastrophe erases any gains you would make. If you break down on it, you may not immediately be assisted. And it's overrun by kamikaze rabbits (we may have hit up to 3 of 136 who specifically tried to die under our wheels. Quoth Leslie: "There go the Johnsons!")

A friend and I innocently & stupidly took that road 10 years ago, and since we escaped injury, it's a funny story, but I could never recommend it.

(There's a fella on these boards who's going to try it via pedal power, but he's very much doing so on purpose just to see if he can, and people are lining up to shake his hand if he makes it.)
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby TomServo » Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:18 pm

I-80 to Fernley.....or Wadsworth, if you miss the exit....take 447 up, past nixon, empire and gerlach. Stay off Jungo Rd!
anything worth doing..is worth overdoing

Vor Gebrauch Sprengkapsel einsetzen
TomServo

Camp Name: BloodBath&Beyond

Postby Irreverent Moniker » Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:51 pm

holy crap, there's a google street view the length of jungo road
Walk tall, kick ass, learn to speak Arabic, love music and never forget you come from a long line of truth seekers, lovers and warriors.
Irreverent Moniker

Postby Frostbite » Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:06 pm

Irreverent Moniker wrote:holy crap, there's a google street view the length of jungo road

Random hijack -

Street view of Cedarville caught a burner on the side of the road on Townsend Street, just West of Main.
Frostbite

Postby Savannah » Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:19 pm

Random hijack -

Street view of Cedarville caught a burner on the side of the road on Townsend Street, just West of Main.

If you're talking about the woman in pink with the packed, dusty car, I see her. :D

The Cedarville Grocery at the corner of Townsend & Main always gives me a pang. The right turn at that corner is my favorite signal (among several) of the final approach. People out front on the benches eating and drinking, & they always wave . . .
Savannah

Postby Sic Pup » Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:22 pm

Sorry, wrong thread.
"Enjoy every sandwich" - W. Zevon
Sic Pup

Postby Sail Man » Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:01 pm

I've heard the first half of Jungo is decent, maintained by a company out there, but that the second half is crazy, as in tire shredding crazy, as in take many spares for your 4x4 crazy. Though i did have a friend with a jacuzzi bus take it, and survives to tell the story :D
Excuse me Ma'am, your going to feel a small prick.

Algorithms never survive the first thirty seconds of patient contact
Sail Man

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Kidsville: Delicious

Postby Savannah » Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:19 pm

I'm bewildered that we survived it in a Honda Civic (I believe it was) with only our slow speed and Miss T's driving skill to help. She observed that the little tumbleweed shrubs seem to crowd the edges of the road like they're going to swallow you . . .

At one point, we were out there so long that I started to worry we had actually left the road. :D
Savannah

Postby AntiM » Fri Jul 08, 2011 4:16 pm

The advantage to Fernley is there are truckstops for that last fuel up.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby Playa+Tom » Fri Jul 08, 2011 5:56 pm

The Jungo Road is a good way to save some time and several miles, IF:
Your vehicle is in good condition and has good off road tires, not mud and snows, not original equipment, but real heavy treaded off road tires.
You are capable of paying attention to every bit of the road for 100 miles, it is necessary to be alert for other vehicles, wildlife (not bunnies but megafauna like deer, antelope, horses and cows.) You need to dodge some of the tire eating rocks that are in abundance. You need to be aware of traffic coming at high speed or around a blind corner or hill.
I have never had a problem on the road but have encountered several others who had broken their rigs. If you take the Jungo Road get on the playa as soon as you can and follow the East Side Playa Road and drive on the smooth playa. Be aware of the restricted area surrounding Black Rock City.
Playa+Tom

Postby TomServo » Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:55 pm

A Ranger died on Jungo road, a few years ago...just playing in hiis SUV. I remember his campmates looking for him. I told them there was an accident, the day before, but they said it wasn't him....since he was an expert desert driver. It was him.
anything worth doing..is worth overdoing

Vor Gebrauch Sprengkapsel einsetzen
TomServo

Camp Name: BloodBath&Beyond

Postby Playa+Tom » Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:31 am

The road will eat your tires.
The animals will try to make your life miserable.
The other drivers will try to kill you.
Otherwise it is a nice drive in the country.
Playa+Tom

Postby C187 » Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:45 pm

Sail Man wrote:I've heard the first half of Jungo is decent, maintained by a company out there, but that the second half is crazy, as in tire shredding crazy, as in take many spares for your 4x4 crazy. Though i did have a friend with a jacuzzi bus take it, and survives to tell the story :D

I think I've been inside this bus with in the first few hours of 07. Crazy.

Any way, OP, if you haven't gathered yet, stay away from jungo road.
On the up side, you get the only perk of being a east coaster... not having to go to Reno. :D
I have a little bit of Savannah with me. Shhh...
C187

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Stag Camp 8.0

Postby yurtgirl » Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:39 am

"Any way, OP, if you haven't gathered yet, stay away from jungo road.
On the up side, you get the only perk of being a east coaster... not having to go to Reno. :D"

I"m still skipping Reno; we're hitting Fernley and spreading a little economic joy there before hitting BRC for food, etc.
yurtgirl

Return to Transportation