Will they do the pulse traffice system on the way in?

Bikes, trikes, personal mobility and mutant vehicles - this is the place to discuss general transportation issues. For ride and RV shares, please go to the year-specific Share Resources board.

Will they do the pulse traffice system on the way in?

Postby Packoderm » Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:24 pm

The pulse system was such a great success during exodus last year. I really appreciated the intelligence and follow through shown by the organizers and the consideration for those of us who do not have modern vehicles that can idle for hours on end without overheating. The gas savings is huge with less fumes. It was fun and relaxing instead of a stressful and grumpy experience. I'd volunteer for arrival duties if they'd have me.
(currently Zeke Chaparral)
Packoderm

Re: Will they do the pulse traffice system on the way in?

Postby Elderberry » Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:46 pm

I don't really have a clue, but because of incessant need to post, I'd say that the answer would be no. My reasoning is that the ability to stage traffic on the way in is not as amenable to pulsing as it is on the way out.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
Elderberry

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby Packoderm » Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:49 pm

jkisha wrote:I don't really have a clue, but because of incessant need to post, I'd say that the answer would be no. My reasoning is that the ability to stage traffic on the way in is not as amenable to pulsing as it is on the way out.

Why not?
Packoderm

Postby Bin Noddin » Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:55 pm

Where would they stage people? Along the public highway? In a huge parking lot on the playa? I don't think staging is needed on entry as the flow is much smaller (except for Sunday night) and spread over several days.
"I have gobs of mustard and ketchup on the front of my shirt, which does not make me a hot dog." Sam A. McKeen
Bin Noddin

Postby EspressoDude » Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:57 pm

methinks the pulsing was intended to limit cars on the highway, not necessarily through the exit 'gates'. Pulsing requires miles of "moving parking"which is available on the playa. It is not available on the highway between Gerlach and the entrance.
Is 4 shots enuff? no foo-foo drinks; just naked Espresso
Tactical Espresso Service http://home.comcast.net/~espressocamp/
Field Artillery Tractor
FOGBANK, GOD OF HELLFIRE
BLACK ROCK f/x Trojan Horse,Anubis,2014Temple
burn shit and blow shit up
EspressoDude

Postby Lord Of Ruin » Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:37 pm

I love it when a Gate questions just goes on ahead and answers itself perfectly. :)

LoR
The fox provides for himself, but God provides for the lion - W. Blake (attribution corrected)
Lord Of Ruin

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Packoderm » Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:54 pm

Actually, there was pulsing on the entrance last year, but it was one pulse for every vehicle that crossed the entrance. It doesn't seem that it would be that difficult to have one pulse per, say, every 100 vehicles. Just have a quarter mile before the entrance, fill it up with vehicles, close the gate at the quarter mile mark, and wait for it to empty again before raising the pulsing gate to fill the quarter mile again. Just repeat this, and you'll have something much better than what we saw last year with people pushing their cars and running out of gas.

Would it be just as difficult to figure reasons why this wouldn't work than it would be to just make it work? I can think of reasons why it would be impossible to have shade covering the center camp, but they figured out a way out a way to do this out of consideration for the comfort of the attendees. Same goes with pulsing.
Packoderm

Postby illy dilly » Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:04 pm

It sorta pulses it self.
Once you hit dirt, you have to decide which lane. Some lanes go quicker than others. Different vehicles take longer to search.
Also, if you are nice, and you're friends are right behind you, the searchers and greeters will do a few cars at a time. Then once the whole string of cars is ready, they all go, and it sorta creates a pulse.
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave
illy dilly

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Gnome Dome

Postby AntiM » Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:51 pm

Yeah, the whole search thing precludes pulsing.
Read Me!! Ticket Sellers and Seekers!

Really, read the damn sticky posts.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby Ugly Dougly » Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:18 pm

What are you trying to fix?
On entry, the big bottleneck is on the public road, and PG&E can't control that. Once the cars get on the playa, there's more room. Gate works as fast as they can with the staff they have. I don't see a need.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby Packoderm » Fri Jul 01, 2011 4:45 pm

[quote="Ugly Dougly"]What are you trying to fix?
On entry, the big bottleneck is on the public road, and PG&E can't control that. Once the cars get on the playa, there's more room. Gate works as fast as they can with the staff they have. I don't see a need.[/quote]

We must have been at two different events or at least different days. I was there on Mon. and the traffic was fine until entering the playa, then it was more than 3 hours of stop and go. People were pushing their cars. I gave away two gallons of gas to somebody who was very surprised to run out.
Packoderm

Postby unjonharley » Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:28 pm

Ya, It will get my pulse up..

You wads that pile crap and call it loading make the search team hold up the whole line..

Maybe you should be yanked out of line for search.. Let us roll by that have open and well lite loads..
unjonharley

Postby TomServo » Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:19 pm

Bin Noddin wrote:Where would they stage people? Along the public highway? In a huge parking lot on the playa? I don't think staging is needed on entry as the flow is much smaller (except for Sunday night) and spread over several days.

Perhaps, on Sunday and Monday mornings, a staging area could be set up, with a free BBQ...and tickets issued for departure.
anything worth doing is worth overdoing..
TomServo

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: BloodBath&Beyond

Postby portaplaya » Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:34 am

There are no plans to pulse the traffic coming into the city. The staff that would be managing the pulsing are better applied to manning the Gate and getting vehicles quickly searched and passed on toward Greeters. It takes about 12-16 people to run the pulse. That's two more Gate staff on each incoming lane tearing tickets and looking for smuggled canines.

Additionally, pulsing the incoming traffic would likely result in a back-up of traffic onto the highway during the wait period between pulses. That would be a big no-no.

While the crawl coming in Monday early AM sucks, that crawl is still faster than the crawl leaving the city on Monday evening when the last pulse shift ends. Having one incoming highway lane split into eight lanes is a better traffic flow than having eight lanes merge onto the one highway lane. If the back up is the searching (which is required by the BLM permit, by the way), then the searching needs more staff, not the traffic management.

However, I'm sure that Gate would love to have some of you people volunteer for opening night!
portaplaya

Postby dragonpilot » Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:45 am

We departed about 1 AM Monday morning after the Temple Burn 2010. We were really looking forward to the pulsing method during Exodus. Unfortunately, it didn't occur during that period...same crawl as always...2 1/2 - 3 hours. Correct me if I'm wrong, but apparently it didn't kick in until sometime later on Monday...not sure when.

We could sure use it as early as possible on Monday, but easy for me to say as the pulsing method is highly PG&E volunteer dependent. My guess is that limited resources requires assigning folks to a later pulsing time.

I think my ride is leaving later this year...if so I'll jump in and help out schedule permitting.
Don't bore your friends with all your troubles. Tell your enemies instead, for they will delight in hearing about them.
dragonpilot

Burning Since: 2005

Postby portaplaya » Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:41 pm

Pulsing happened last year only during daylight hours for reasons of safety for the pulsing crew. But I believe people drove in a well behaved manor in 2010.

For 2011, my understanding is that pulsing will happen on Sunday and Monday from 9am to 2am each day. Providing they get staffing for all of those shifts. Getting a full 12 people to work on Monday night will probably be hard to manage.
portaplaya

Postby Packoderm » Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:27 pm

It doesn't seem that it would be that difficult to do. Just set up some gates (like at a railroad crossing) 30 car lengths from the entrance, keep the gates closed until the searches clear the road from the gate to the entrance, open the gates, fill the road to the entrance, close the gates, and start it all over again. The traffic queue would be only 30 car lengths longer than it would be without the pulsing. Given the thousands of cars, that's basically imperceptible from no pulsing at all as far as extra queue length goes. If it takes one minute per search, we'd start our cars and drive 30 car lengths every 1/2 hour. It would take only 8 volunteers to man such a feat. If they let me through the gate early, I'd volunteer 4 hours of gate duty.
Packoderm

Postby portaplaya » Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:43 pm

Gate does allow people to come to the event early, starting their second year of working on Gate. Shifts are six hours long, with a meal provided. If it is your first year (that is, you require training this year) then shifts may start on the Saturday before the event, as long as that volunteer puts in 30 hours this year (five shifts). So just getting some people to drop in to work their first (and only) shift on Sunday nights does not currently work with the system set up to bring in trusted people.

Typically the search teams work 3 cars in the lane at the same time, so that's nearly 30 people working on Searching. Taking eight people from that is means that Search time drops more than 25%.

I'm not saying that pulsing people in is a stupid idea. It would be a great idea if Gate could get an unlimited number of volunteers. But they can't. Four daily shifts on opening day with 30 people per shift (ideally) is 120 volunteers. They would LOVE to get more people on the team, as would the Rangers, Earth Guardians and others.

;-) Go sign up for something.
Last edited by portaplaya on Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
portaplaya

Postby fabigothangel » Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:08 pm

When does the bloody gate open this year? Sorry a bit frustrated I can't find an answer ha ha ha
live free and thrive
fabigothangel

Camp Name: Earth Guardians

Postby Dr. Pyro » Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:13 pm

What time does the gate open? That sort of depends upon which liar you choose to believe. I have read that it may open as early as 6 p.m. Sunday, but what if it doesn't? I would just chill and let the playagods take you where they may.
Dr. Pyro

Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Postby fabigothangel » Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:34 pm

So It means I have to leave saturday the 27th from Hollywood CA. I've never gone so early this is my 11th year ha ha ha
live free and thrive
fabigothangel

Camp Name: Earth Guardians

Postby jojofroyo » Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:19 pm

Dr. Pyro wrote:What time does the gate open? That sort of depends upon which liar you choose to believe. I have read that it may open as early as 6 p.m. Sunday, but what if it doesn't? I would just chill and let the playagods take you where they may.

From what I heard while I was on Playa last year they did open the Gates at 6pm on Sunday to try to alleviate all the cars being backed up onto the highway.
I doubt they would ever admit to planning that or tell people that, just to keep people from trying to go out there early. The city is still being set up during that time, people racing all over the place to find the best spot in open camping could just get in the way.

I like it that it opens at midnight its fun to watch all the cars come in! But if they do end up opening the gate early this year again, they should do it at a completely random time, with occasional shut downs just to mess with people's heads. haha

I think alot of the problem last year with the early week at the gate had to deal with that rain storm that shut everything down for like 6 hours. Cars just kept backing up with no where to go. lets just all pray for a nice scalding hot, dry Burning Man this year! haha (maybe with some 80 degree nights again like in 2007 or was it 2008) I can only dream!
jojofroyo

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Champagne Loumge

Postby portaplaya » Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:36 pm

My understand is that the BLM is the one that makes the call on opening the gates due to highway back-up.

This makes "random" times or open, then close, then open all sort of hard to do. If BRC LLC had their say, they would certainly comply with the land use permit and open the gates at midnight.

I remember that rain storm. Yeah, it was a two-hour shut down to wait out the rain and then wait for it to dry enough without creating dirt clods on tires. These two hours of no traffic made the back-up wait pretty long, I'm sure.
portaplaya

Postby Lord Of Ruin » Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:53 pm

A correction:

You can get in early to the event if you work the event your FIRST year. The earliest you would be allowed on playa would be Friday pre-event for the training that is that day. If you elected to volunteer to do that, it would require a committment of 30 hours work to obtain it.

LoR
The fox provides for himself, but God provides for the lion - W. Blake (attribution corrected)
Lord Of Ruin

Burning Since: 2017

Return to Transportation