What to do if car dies on the playa?

Bikes, trikes, personal mobility and mutant vehicles - this is the place to discuss general transportation issues. For ride and RV shares, please go to Share Resources.

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:40 am

Not as screwed up as killing someone.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby ConnieH » Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:49 am

theCryptofishist wrote:Not as screwed up as killing someone.

AMEN...if it's that much trouble, don't drive. I wish the drunk who killed my brother would have had one, or better yet, had just decided not to drive at all. Sure it would suck to have your unit go haywire on the playa when you are stone cold sober, but it's part of the punishment for the crime. Sorry, but I have very little sympathy for such "problems".
ConnieH

Postby illy dilly » Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:10 am

Agreed! But who's to say the person had been drinking and hadn't sobered up as quickly as they thought. Gave it too many tries and it locked up.

And honestly. Most of them can be easily disconnected. You will get in trouble when you get home. And you'd have to try to explain that you were at Burning Man and your battery died. Or, I guess, you could just say you were camping.
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave
illy dilly

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Gnome Dome

Postby capjbadger » Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:19 am

ConnieH wrote:
theCryptofishist wrote:Not as screwed up as killing someone.

AMEN...if it's that much trouble, don't drive. I wish the drunk who killed my brother would have had one, or better yet, had just decided not to drive at all. Sure it would suck to have your unit go haywire on the playa when you are stone cold sober, but it's part of the punishment for the crime. Sorry, but I have very little sympathy for such "problems".

+1000
Arrrggg!! Avast ye fucking fluffy bunny shirtcockers! Haul your drunken hairy fat ass out of our sight or prepare to receive a hot buttered hedgehog fired up your aft quarters!

Honey Badger don't care. Honey Badger don't give a shit!
capjbadger

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Lamplighters

Postby Minxy » Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:24 am

Oh I fully support the punishment of DUIs. It's a terrible crime and I could go on and on about that.

I fully support the use of the machines and I feel the punishment suits the crime just fine for the inconvenience and cost of renting the machine and having to use it.

I do get testy, however, when equipment doesn't performed as promised, be it a DUI breathalyzer ignition device or a stove or computer. If I'm paying money for it and it's been stated that it's fully functional I expect it to be so, otherwise the supplier should eat the cost.
Minxy

Postby Elliot » Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:36 pm

jkisha wrote:The rental company where we get our truck from has a special instruction sheet of what they want you to do with the truck when on the playa. One of the things they say is to start it every day and run it for ten minutes.

JK, what are the other items on that instruction sheet?
Elliot's Bicycle Service, Camel Saddlery and Beverage Salon 5 & G as before, probably.
Ali Elliot Fy Fasan, proprietor

Caravansary Black Rock 2014

ImageImageImage
Millicent The Bus; pedal-vehicles on Playa and in Kinetic Sculpture Races.
Elliot

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Elliot’s Bicycle & Beverage Emporium

Postby dinks » Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:49 pm

AAA membership that covers 100 or 200 miles of towing.. It will pay for itself really quickly.
dinks

Postby Minxy » Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:28 pm

dinks wrote:AAA membership that covers 100 or 200 miles of towing.. It will pay for itself really quickly.

Hallelujah. I can't even tell you how many times they've saved my ass.
"If I moop your head, I shall be very displeased." - Savannah
Minxy

Postby Sic Pup » Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:58 pm

Minxy wrote:
dinks wrote:AAA membership that covers 100 or 200 miles of towing.. It will pay for itself really quickly.

Hallelujah. I can't even tell you how many times they've saved my ass.

FYI, they let you upgrade at any point during the year on a prorated basis. I called when my "standard" plan was due for renewal, was told this, renewed "standard" again and put a note in my online calendar to upgrade in mid-August (I don't drive long distance the rest of the year).
It remains to be seen whether I can switch it back to standard in early Sept.

Oh there is some eligibility criteria, I think it's not having made 3 calls for assistance during the past year or something like that.
"Enjoy every sandwich" - W. Zevon
Sic Pup

Postby Ogdenhousedj » Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:12 pm

FYI in 2009 it was $750 to get towed to Reno, I know this cause we adopted a canadian that broke down on his way in (fuel pump) but just as the tow truck that was patrolling brc hooked him up for the expensive ride a stranger came up and handed him a AAA card to get the tow for free
Ogdenhousedj

Postby jkisha » Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:59 pm

Elliot wrote:
jkisha wrote:The rental company where we get our truck from has a special instruction sheet of what they want you to do with the truck when on the playa. One of the things they say is to start it every day and run it for ten minutes.

JK, what are the other items on that instruction sheet?

Here's the sheet. http://dl.dropbox.com/u/6849030/AvonBMAgreement.pdf
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby Elliot » Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:56 pm

:D
Nice to see a Burner-friendly rental agency! :D
Elliot's Bicycle Service, Camel Saddlery and Beverage Salon 5 & G as before, probably.
Ali Elliot Fy Fasan, proprietor

Caravansary Black Rock 2014

ImageImageImage
Millicent The Bus; pedal-vehicles on Playa and in Kinetic Sculpture Races.
Elliot

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Elliot’s Bicycle & Beverage Emporium

Postby jkisha » Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:41 pm

Elliot wrote::D
Nice to see a Burner-friendly rental agency! :D

Sure is, and the surprising thing is that they do mostly studio rentals, so the trucks are all in great shape and well maintained. Not to mention they are super friendly to do business with.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Previous

Return to Transportation