Seeking Resource for Custom Vehicle Builders

Bikes, trikes, personal mobility and mutant vehicles - this is the place to discuss general transportation issues. For ride and RV shares, please go to Share Resources.

Seeking Resource for Custom Vehicle Builders

Postby silad » Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:33 pm

Hi there, I am wondering if anybody knows some good resources online to help with building vehicles from scratch like some diy vehicle forums. I purchased a Predator 420cc engine from Harbor freight, my friend is planning to weld up the frame, and we will ideally create a kind of modernistic 4 seater "T Buggy" type mutant vehicle. Neither of us have done anything like it before so a lot of questions may come up. Also, I am now creating the registration with DMV, does anyone know how detailed the submitted plans need to be? Obviously nothing is built yet so I can't take a picture. THANKS!!!!
silad

Postby gyre » Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:14 pm

As detailed as possible.
Try to communicate your concept clearly.

California is rife with custom shops.

I don't know about forums.
There are a couple I spend time on, but can't recall them offhand.

Buckaroo has the best custom diy publications.
I would start with street rod builder.

I find Race Car Engineering useful, but it is very technical.
SAE carries a number of useful books.

Mutants are a separate niche, as I'm sure you know.

Hemmings might be useful.

Fat Jack's did the work on my street car.
He can be hard to locate.
Had to call Boyd to find his number last time.

I think this is the same shop.
http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/show ... 883&page=2

There are a lot of film prop and design cars and people on the playa too.

You can write the dmv to preview your idea, if you're unsure it will meet requirements.
gyre

Re: Seeking Resource for Custom Vehicle Builders

Postby Dr Helix » Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:11 pm

silad wrote:Hi there, I am wondering if anybody knows some good resources online to help with building vehicles from scratch like some diy vehicle forums. I purchased a Predator 420cc engine from Harbor freight, my friend is planning to weld up the frame, and we will ideally create a kind of modernistic 4 seater "T Buggy" type mutant vehicle. Neither of us have done anything like it before so a lot of questions may come up. Also, I am now creating the registration with DMV, does anyone know how detailed the submitted plans need to be? Obviously nothing is built yet so I can't take a picture. THANKS!!!!

With so many Mutant vehicles wanting to be on the playa, the DMV is adhering to more and more rigid guidlines before allowing your vehicle to come. Cheif among them is that you vehicle not be just your personal conveyence. They really frown on people with small MV's who just use them to squire themselves around the burn. Stress the interactive nature of the vehicle you're building, and how it will contribute to the overall experience of everyone. And if you want to run it at night, it has to be RADICALLY ILLUMINATED. A few xmas lights will not fly. Also all the regular safety features (brakes, steering, lights) need to be first rate, not just thrown together. Remember even if they invite you bring it, they can reject it during the on-playa inspection. I have brought 2 MV's to the playa over the last 3 years and have learned from my mistakes. Good luck and see you there!
"Love, Rockets and write when you get work"
Dr Helix

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Interaction Cafe

Return to Transportation