Making a new Mutant Vehicle - logistics

Bikes, trikes, personal mobility and mutant vehicles - this is the place to discuss general transportation issues. For ride and RV shares, please go to Share Resources.

Making a new Mutant Vehicle - logistics

Postby vudubob » Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:35 pm

I am in the process of creating a mutant vehicle - this will be a large art car built on a Ford F700 flatbed truck. I have not done this before and I am wondering how other people who have made art cars have managed to get them to the playa - how do you make a giant sailing ship or whale or whatever street-legal in order to drive it on the highway? I assume like any vehicle it has to be titled, registered, insured, etc., but what do you register a truck as that no longer looks anything like a truck? What happens with the title when the description on the title no longer matches the vehicle? How does the DMV (Department of Motor Vehicle, not Department of Mutant Vehicles) handle registering mutated vehicles? Do people partially mutate the vehicle, only enough to keep it street legal with tags, until they get to the playa, and then finish the conversion there, or is there some legal way to get something huge and weird through the streets to Burning Man? Thanks for your input!
vudubob

Postby lemur » Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:50 pm

maybe you are missing some of the idea of a 'mutant vehicle'

odds are that they arent street legal anymore, and couldnt be street legal ever again.... that is, if the vehicle is truly mutated... it is essentialy 'scrap' or like a custom car, or race car,. you cant register it anymore

people disassemble their mutated vehicles, as needed, and bring them in on flat bed trailers or as pieces in the back of a truck... any way they can get it there.

from what ive seen, the crappiest 'mutant vehicles' are more like art cars.. ones that could just drive on any street in america..

the dmv, as far as ive seen.. looks at the application you put in (you did apply to the dmv, right?) and compares it to the current rules and expectations for a mutant vehicle.... if it looks not mutated enough for the current bar of quality (i.e. street legal unmutated vehicle with decorations on it) odds of it getting a license to drive on playa are slim.

in a burning man utopia world mutant vehicle = most likely not street legal under any circumstances

(i dont represent dmv or burning man.............. just telling you stuff from a lemur perspective)
Don't link to anything here!
lemur

Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Postby Dustdevil » Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:12 pm

Let me restate the question from Lemur's post: Have you registered your Mutant Vehicle?

And to answer your question, some vehicles are street legal, driven to the Playa and assembled when they arrive. The State DMV doesn't really care what your care looks like. When do they ever see it? If you look at the MV, Dragons of Eden, it is magnificent. A seven headed fire breathing dragon with a huge plexiglass dome for the driver. It started life as a 34' RV. A few months back I assisted Lucy, (the builder of the MV) in getting it smogged. It is still registered as an RV.
Those who think they can and those who think they can't are both right.
Dustdevil

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: Brain Freeze / Got Stickers

Postby gyre » Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:38 pm

Trailered, folding assemblies, built on or near the playa, you name it.

With the saturn I wanted to build up, I planned on using a car here to make the fittings and then carry them to reno, with the car in reno never seeing the skin until assembly.
That's why the saturn was so perfect for me, with 2100 miles to commute.

I've seen golf carts converted back and forth each year.

Whatever approach works.
gyre

Postby oneeyeddick » Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:35 am

We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.
oneeyeddick

Postby Mojojita » Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:52 am

The big victorian mansion mv is built on a 5th wheel trailer that unfolds like a playset. Amazing engineering.
Mojojita

Postby Ugly Dougly » Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:49 pm

That's probably a major difference between art cars and mutant vehicles.

Ugly Dougly

Postby Lord Of Ruin » Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:53 pm

Ugly Dougly wrote:That's probably a major difference between art cars and mutant vehicles.

Funny thing is...that car would be unlikely to pass the DMV's current mutant bar.

It's original vehicle is still clearly identifyable. It's transport ability is still largely limited to the driver/operators of the vehicle (they might be able to fit people in a backseat, but still). The act of being in motion doesn't add to or enhance the art or interactivity of the vehicle itself...i.e. if it's just art, why can't it sit still and be art?

But the thing is...it IS art. But the creator shouldn't have any problem just taking it in and parking it at their camp.
The fox provides for himself, but God provides for the lion - W. Blake (attribution corrected)
Lord Of Ruin

Burning Since: 2017

Postby gyre » Sat Jun 18, 2011 2:38 am

I've seen this on the playa and it has a large space in the middle to sit in.

I think it's a good example of the flaws in the current protocols, but it might qualify as an original classic art car.

They just keep it in camp now.

I rhink some cars look amazing enough without hiding all trace.
This one works for me, thematically and otherwise.

Not one I would build, but really something.
It's not like it's based on a goddamn camry after all.

Part of the art of custom cars is changing minimal things for maximum effect.

I have a car with the rear axle shifted forward substantially.
This changes the relationship with the curve of the rear fender opening, a classic trailing curve.
The effect is dramatic, but virtually no one spots the cause.
The front and rear end caps are completely custom, but subtle.
It looks better, but few can tell why.

Small changes have their place, if they are the right changes.

There is art to it.
gyre

Postby lemur » Sat Jun 18, 2011 5:41 pm

gyre wrote:

There is art to it.

there is surely an art to making a nice art car.. or a fancy custom car for that matter..

i dont read the dmv protocols as implying otherwise when they mention what they expect..

from what i understand its not their job at the dmv to judge artistic merit so much as to ensure that year by year theyve reacted to the bar that has been set by participants themselves, by making better and better creations participants cause the dmv to adjust protocol accordingly to ensure some kick ass art out there within the limits set by the BLM, and while considering past history of vehicles out there..

I think burning man is better off for the bar being continually raised..there can only be so many vehicles riding around at once and I am glad to see that someone is looking to ensure they are not all fur covered golf carts and chopped Buicks with 50,000 nickels glued on..
lemur

Postby gyre » Sat Jun 18, 2011 8:55 pm

While that is definitely the intent, writing protocols must ultimately make or force artistic judgments by making assumptions.

It is the blm that drives the rule making.
The restrictions on numbers are starting to cause some good examples to not make the cut.

The proportion of mvs to the population is dropping too.

Just as in the custom world, there is more than one way to get it right.
gyre

Postby lemur » Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:04 pm

gyre wrote:
there is more than one way to get it right.

indeed.. and thankfully that brings us with lots of variety of stuffs

as to the original topic...yep more than one way to get it right..
lemur

Postby gyre » Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:34 pm

I would mention that street legal is possible for some mvs, but invariably more work.

It can be cost effective for someone driving a long distance.

The car I mentioned, is street legal, but more track car than street.
The only person to spot the axle relocation was a ditzy 18 year old girl, incidentallly a math whiz on a high level.
She grew up around cars.
Still amazing.
That includes the tech inspectors at the track.
Axle relocation may not have passed tech in some places, or the relocated forward front suspension either.
Awaiting restoration now, sadly.

The bar for street legal here is pretty low, if you're not in the city.

The hard part wouldn't be building a street legal mv, but building one I could tolerate driving on the street.
And I can tolerate a lot.

The suspension on the race car is all rod ends.
gyre

Return to Transportation