How essential are bicycles?

Bikes, trikes, personal mobility and mutant vehicles - this is the place to discuss general transportation issues. For ride and RV shares, please go to Share Resources.

How essential are bicycles?

Postby Alienhair » Fri Jun 03, 2011 7:40 am

was wondering how important is it to have your own bicycle on the sands?
Thanks!
LOVE
AlienHair
Alienhair

Postby TomServo » Fri Jun 03, 2011 7:44 am

It's not quite sand, and BRC is bigger than you'd think.
anything worth doing..is worth overdoing

Vor Gebrauch Sprengkapsel einsetzen
TomServo

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: BloodBath&Beyond

Postby Alienhair » Fri Jun 03, 2011 7:58 am

sorry did not mean to reduce it..i read it's a whole planet bigger than a city..
bikes?
LOVE
AlienHair
Alienhair

Postby unjonharley » Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:02 am

Alienhair wrote:sorry did not mean to reduce it..i read it's a whole planet bigger than a city..
bikes?

What is the dia of Bm anyway :?: .. I know it's more than a easy walk to the apex and back to camp..
unjonharley

Postby Elorrum » Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:02 am

How far do you like to walk? How long do you like to walk?
What's the name of the act? The Aristocrats.
Elorrum

Postby unjonharley » Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:03 am

oops
unjonharley

Postby Bob » Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:05 am

Thing is, if you're a strong walker, a bike is an unnecessary hassle, and if you're not, a bike is still a constant hassle.

Plus, they have a Yellow Bike system.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby TomServo » Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:06 am

yes bikes. Car's aren't allowed. A half hour trip on the playa will seem like an hour. The playa is hard packed, hopefully, so almost like riding on concrete.wider the tires the better...

TomServo

Postby Alienhair » Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:07 am

such a silly question! i back up!! :Dwith a funny smile:D:Dnice to meet you:D lol
LOVE
AlienHair
Alienhair

Postby Alienhair » Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:09 am

i mean it is not really necessary, you can always find a ride from one camp to another or so?
LOVE
AlienHair
Alienhair

Postby TomServo » Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:10 am

although...you do see more, walking. In your area anyways..

TomServo

Postby ConnieH » Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:24 am

For me, I don't think a bike is necessary, I like to walk...I think BRC is only a mile across(?), so I never found it a problem. We also camp with enough people that there is always a bike laying around to borrow if I need to get somewhere faster, and they do make ice runs easier if you aren't close to an ice station. Hauling bikes is a major PITA for me and my little car that is already packed to the gills, so I don't bother. One of my friends, however, didn't bring a bike last year and regrets it - but she was a virgin and had way more on her list of things to do and see than I did. So it really depends what you plan to do.
ConnieH

Postby Alienhair » Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:30 am

okay! thank you.. i am a virgin too, it's gna be my first year! but doesnt sound that important, especially if there are bikes all around, i'm gna be travelling from London anyway! would love to get all the advice in the world, although it's never an issue if i'm not very well equipped, you can always create things or methods out there, but maybe jsut the essentials! :D
LOVE
AlienHair
Alienhair

Postby gyre » Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:38 am

Essential to me.

Pedelecs are allowed now too.

You seem like a very calm person.
Maybe you won't miss one?

Some are happy to walk slowly across the city.
gyre

Postby Alienhair » Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:50 am

hmmm! just at first, wait till we meet up!!!
pedelecs interesting option!:D
LOVE
AlienHair
Alienhair

Postby Elorrum » Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:51 am

there are not bikes all around for anyone's use. there are lots of unlocked bikes, and that is not the same thing. The yellow bikes, are bright green, and are for anyone's use from place to place, you may see some while you are walking. A bike is not essential to enjoy Burning Man. I'll bet you'll have neighbors or new friends who will let you borrow a bike to see what it's like.
What's the name of the act? The Aristocrats.
Elorrum

Postby Ugly Dougly » Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:56 am

Yes, having a pair of bicycles in your camp will enhance your enjoyment of Burning Man for sure!

Trudging from here to there with sort feet and a limited range will quickly get old. With a pair of bikes allows you to go out onto the open playa where great works of art glitter seductively in the darkness. Two because you can share the experience with someone else.

Yes, you can catch a ride on Mutant Vehicles from time to time, but I wouldn't advise relying on that.
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby AntiM » Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:01 am

If someone does lend you a bike, do be sure it has a lock and use it even if it is a hassle. And return it to them, please don't say, I left it over at so and so, you can pick it up on your way out.

That's just rude.

Black Rock City is walkable, but there are times when a bike makes for a different, and speedier, experience. Both ways have advantages. Burn Night, you don't want a bike at all.

Three days into my first burn, my back pinged me into intense pain while riding my bike out by the trash fence. That was ten years ago, and we've been working on transport solutions since then. I've not been able to sit a traditional bike in all that time, nor walk far. Still relying on pedals, just more wheels.

You'll find what works for you, if not this year, then the next. Burning Man is as much a process as an event. Like lightwaves.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby snake » Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:04 am

bikes are just fun to ride...unless there are alot of soft spots in the playa. early morning rides out to deep playa to see the art before it gets too hot. they sell some used ones in gerlach.
snake

Postby illy dilly » Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:20 pm

There is another program that allows you to buy a bike, then sell it back. I bet they make you buy it, instead of rent it, because too many were stolen/lost and there are liability issues, I suppose.

The JRS will cover all those details some time soon, if not in the most recent edition.
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave
illy dilly

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Gnome Dome

Postby Ugly Dougly » Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:15 pm

What's the issue, IH? Getting a dirt bike? I found one so cheap at Target that I could afford to give it away afterwards rather than clean it.
Transportation? That can be a bit of a struggle. Many of us leave out other gear so we can bring our bikes.
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby some seeing eye » Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:56 pm

I have had a bike for most years, but I don't think a bike is necessary. Camp further in - within, say D. I find biking, I'm rushing between places where I think the experiences will be, and am often mistaken! Walking, you will have more unexpected interactions 1on1 all the way along, which for visitors from other countries, is a plus, in my view. Without a bike, it's easier to take advantage of the art cars, though sometimes they are full or only taking on the cool kids.

You will get more mileage out of costumes, than bikes in my opinion, especially first year, and some camps, including the Black Rock Boutique will outfit you. Also find people in your camp to trade costumes with. Have fun!
some seeing eye

Camp Name: Woo

Postby mudpuppy000 » Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:18 pm

I love riding my bike out there but you can get by without one I suppose. It's pretty handy for checking out the art on the deep playa. It's amazing cruising around out there in the dark, with a nice strong drink. :D
mudpuppy000

Camp Name: Orphan Endorphin

Postby Savannah » Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:35 pm

There was at least one year where I never touched my bike at all (2009) and other years where I rode all over creation during the day, or biked at top speed in the open playa at night (agreed, quite fun). This was years ago when the crowd was smaller, but thank god I was lit up, 'cause if there were any unlit darkwads out there they could at least take evasive action.

Last year I took two several-hour rides to look at art and visit Center Camp, and three roundtrips to my volunteer shifts, but did not touch a bike at night when the crowd is a bit thick and visibility is harder.

It's not worth getting upset if you don't find a cheap bike in time, but it is quite a nice option.

If you can't find one, bring a lock anyway, and use it for a bike you have borrowed with permission or one of the public neon green bikes.

Do not rely on art cars; getting a ride is pretty unpredictable unless you make friends with the driver or crew.
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby jkisha » Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:39 pm

mudpuppy000 wrote:I love riding my bike out there but you can get by without one I suppose. It's pretty handy for checking out the art on the deep playa. It's amazing cruising around out there in the dark, with a nice strong drink. :D

I'll bet you didn't do that a few years back when there were all those dunes and the playa was like mush in places. I got so frustrated getting bogged down I ended up walking my bike many times. Especially at night.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby mudpuppy000 » Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:55 pm

jkisha wrote:
mudpuppy000 wrote:I love riding my bike out there but you can get by without one I suppose. It's pretty handy for checking out the art on the deep playa. It's amazing cruising around out there in the dark, with a nice strong drink. :D

I'll bet you didn't do that a few years back when there were all those dunes and the playa was like mush in places. I got so frustrated getting bogged down I ended up walking my bike many times. Especially at night.

Haha, yeah that would suck... My first year was 2009 so not sure if that was a good or bad year but I only remember hitting dune traps a few times. :D
mudpuppy000

Camp Name: Orphan Endorphin

Postby Sic Pup » Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:55 pm

I wouldn't use a lock on a yellow bike, YMMV.
"Enjoy every sandwich" - W. Zevon
Sic Pup

Postby Boijoy » Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:56 pm

I ditch my bike by thurs. am. TOO many people.
don't forget to floss
Boijoy

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Metro Mart

Postby gaminwench » Fri Jun 03, 2011 5:50 pm

the yellow community bikes (which are green) are one way only...

take one that's parked, go somewhere, park it.
If it's still there when you leave, take it again.
repeat as needed.
If someone else takes it while you're distracted by sparkly blinky things, call it playadipity...

Do not lock a yellow bike or 'adopt' it and take it into your camp;
they are free agents, and roam the playa without fetters...
gaminwench

Camp Name: DOTA, EoD, OBOP

Postby Savannah » Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:23 pm

Aye, I did not mean to imply that the public bikes should be locked or monopolized. Only gainfully borrowed private bikes. :)
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Next

Return to Transportation