Bike Racks?

Bikes, trikes, personal mobility and mutant vehicles - this is the place to discuss general transportation issues. For ride and RV shares, please go to the year-specific Share Resources board.

Bike Racks?

Postby Magiccannoncat » Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:52 pm

Does anyone have or know where to find easy to build bike racks?
I am looking to build one for my camp!
Figured I'd ask ya'll before I just make my own up!
MAGIC CANNON CAT ATTACK!!!!!!!
watch yourself!
Magiccannoncat

Postby Sic Pup » Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:58 pm

Take your pick (or not)
"Enjoy every sandwich" - W. Zevon
Sic Pup

Postby Magiccannoncat » Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:22 am

Thank you! Ill check them out!
watch yourself!
Magiccannoncat

Postby Elorrum » Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:40 am

playatech has plans for lots of things. pack flat.
Vada a bordo, cazzo!
There’s no WIFI but you’ll surely make a better connection.
Elorrum

Postby Elderberry » Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:47 am

Yup, we made their king size bed from playa tech plans and might be using their plans for seating too this year.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
Elderberry

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby Magiccannoncat » Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:19 am

How well does that playa tech stuff work?
I really like that it all packs up flat, but how well does it hold up? is it kinda like a 1 year thing, or do they last years?
I guess it would depend of wear and tear out there.

Ive always wanted to build some of it before.
Ill have to check it out for the bike rack, I thought they only had plans for like beds and chairs. I didnt realize they had so many different plans

Thanks!
watch yourself!
Magiccannoncat

Postby Elorrum » Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:17 am

whenever I see a discarded futon frame out by the dumpster I think "bike rack"
Vada a bordo, cazzo!
Elorrum

Postby TomServo » Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:44 am

Elorrum wrote:whenever I see a discarded futon frame out by the dumpster I think "bike rack"

Where you from Magiccannoncat? I got an old metal futon frame. collecting cobwebs
anything worth doing is worth overdoing..
TomServo

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: BloodBath&Beyond

Postby Elderberry » Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:59 am

Magiccannoncat wrote:How well does that playa tech stuff work?
I really like that it all packs up flat, but how well does it hold up? is it kinda like a 1 year thing, or do they last years?

Ill have to check it out for the bike rack, I thought they only had plans for like beds and chairs. I didnt realize they had so many different plans

Thanks!

Well last year was our first year using their stuff, and I don't see any reason that it won't be making many more trips to the playa. How long does exposed plywood or painted plywood, depending, last?
JK
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
Elderberry

Postby Magiccannoncat » Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:12 am

Actually that was what we used last year!

I just felt alot of people didnt really get what it was for since they would just throw their bikes on the ground next to it. I would say through out the week, maybe only about 20 people actually put their bikes in it.

I mean I thought the giant sign with a bike on it attached to it would be enough for them to figure it out, but sadly no!

that is kinda what started this whole thinking about building different ones.
because we are going to be using more of front area for entertaining this year and less for rat fucked bike parking! hah

but futon frames are very nice and easy, maybe they just need a bigger sign and to paint it brighter! hah

I live in Reno, so if you are as well I could come pick it up

Thanks again for all ya'lls help!
watch yourself!
Magiccannoncat

Postby Magiccannoncat » Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:15 am

jkisha wrote:

Thanks!

Well last year was our first year using their stuff, and I don't see any reason that it won't be making many more trips to the playa. How long does exposed plywood or painted plywood, depending, last?

good point! did you use just normal ply wood? Im trying to figure out if OSB boards could handle it? its less friendly to the envoirment, but I believe it is a stronger material.
They are pretty much the same price at home depot from what I remember.
Magiccannoncat

Postby Elderberry » Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:24 pm

Magiccannoncat wrote:
jkisha wrote:

Thanks!

good point! did you use just normal ply wood? Im trying to figure out if OSB boards could handle it? its less friendly to the envoirment, but I believe it is a stronger material.
They are pretty much the same price at home depot from what I remember.

I used CDX plywood. I considered using pressboard and particle board because it was way cheaper, but the advice I got was (maybe here) that they wouldn't hold up near as well.

Also, I took the plans to the lumber yard and they did all the cuts for me, except for the grooves. I bought a power hand held jig saw and did those myself in about a half hour.
JK
Elderberry

Postby Minxy » Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:37 pm

jkisha wrote:
Also, I took the plans to the lumber yard and they did all the cuts for me, except for the grooves. I bought a power hand held jig saw and did those myself in about a half hour.

Now that is cool. Jkisha, what lumber yard did this for you? We're hoping to make some playatech this year. :)
Minxy

Postby jojofroyo » Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:13 pm

I changed my eplaya user name, but I use to be be magiccannoncat(Never make up a forum name when youre drunk)
Home Depot and Lowes can do plywood cutting too!

I tried making the playatech loveseat this last weekend, minus some issues I had cutting the slots, it came out very nicely from just osb. The back of the seat is a little flimsy, But I think I could fix that by adding a piece of conduit behind the seat back for support.
since Ive never built a piece of playatech out of plywood I cant compare, but buts still cheaper to buy OSB and reinforce with metal I think. Im planning on using either conduit(if I want to buy it) or angle iron(which I have) to reinforce the back rests. If you didnt have to plan for drunks slamming their backs into seats, I would say you probably wouldnt even have a problem. But it is Burning Man.

I am pretty stoked to start building more playatech stuff for my camp! I got away with making all my slots with just a skill saw and 1/2" drill bit. I had a jig saw but it was way faster to cut the sides of the slot with skill slot and drill out the tips of the slot with a drill.

I am not so much of a fan of the playatech bike rack though, it seems like it would be a good thing for a smaller theme camp, or a private camp. But our camp has(atleast last year) had pretty good amount of people moving in and out, I dont think their bike rack offers enough bike spots! Futon frame it is!

I am planning on sinking either 2'x4's or some other pole into the ground and just zip tying futon frame sections to the poles. do yall think zip ties would be enough, or should I go up to a U bolt?
jojofroyo

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Champagne Loumge

Re: Bike Racks?

Postby dbraun » Sat Jun 23, 2012 4:26 pm

Our camp uses these racks:

http://www.racesmith.com/triathlonbikerack.html

We made our own though. All the parts are standard EMT conduit except for the heavy walled pipe that the legs socket into. We were able to get this at a salvage pipe dealer. It is not a common size. The racks work very well and they break down real compactly for storage. Each 10 ft section holds 9 bikes. As I remember, each 10 ft section cost us $25. But steel prices have gone up a lot lately.
dbraun

Postby Rice » Sat Jun 23, 2012 5:05 pm

These seem to work well:

aka: http://blog.burningman.com/2010/08/buil ... all-purty/

Actually, they are pretty cool - reusable and durable...
Love Rice

Roach: "I feel like in this day and age, every girl should know how to build a flamethrower."
Rice

Postby Bob » Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:27 pm

Those Cafe bike racks use 3/4 EMT in a 2x4 frame. Holes for the conduit are drilled thru the 2x4s, then capped off w/ 3-1/2" wide strips of plywood. Secured to the ground with 4' steel stakes.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby Canoe » Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:18 am

movable bike rack, rack bike.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Highway to Hell. Stairway to Heaven.Traffic prediction?
Odd. No bears in the dump. Oh well, lets go across the road & pick blueberries.
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.
Canoe

Postby Rice » Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:18 am

Bob wrote:Those Cafe bike racks use 3/4 EMT in a 2x4 frame. Holes for the conduit are drilled thru the 2x4s, then capped off w/ 3-1/2" wide strips of plywood. Secured to the ground with 4' steel stakes.

Very robust and reusable. - They do take up a bit of space when being transported. Very good though...
Love Rice

Roach: "I feel like in this day and age, every girl should know how to build a flamethrower."
Rice

Postby Bob » Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:47 am

They are what they are. Monkeyboy designed them to be reproducible using materials and fasteners DPW commonly orders in bulk, function for keeping bikes upright on both sides, and stackable for storage and transport to & from the container yard at the ranch. The battle at the Cafe is to keep people from tossing bikes higgledy-piggledy on the paths in & out, and keep them from leaning bikes up against the cables holding the shade.

If I were looking at a simple compact rack for a camp, I might buy or scavenge a couple of pieces of steel deck railing w/ vertical bars, strap them together at the top, spread them so they sit on the ground like an A-frame, and drive 3 ft steel stakes at each corner or use rebar staples to secure the bottom rails to the ground or somesuch, eg a pair like this:

Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby CornMan » Sun Jul 29, 2012 7:24 pm

I made one of those racks. Mine used 1/2" EMT conduit. It uses 4' foundation stakes to hold it in place. It sure is sturdy.

The camp with a difference
Never mind the weather
When you camp with Plug & Ply
Your holiday's forever
CornMan

Postby Elorrum » Sun Jul 29, 2012 7:38 pm

Valet parking might be a fun thing to do...
Vada a bordo, cazzo!
Elorrum

Return to Transportation