Bike rack help!!

Bikes, trikes, personal mobility and mutant vehicles - this is the place to discuss general transportation issues. For ride and RV shares, please go to the year-specific Share Resources board.

Bike rack help!!

Postby flower123 » Tue May 17, 2011 10:43 pm

Does anyone know of a good reliable trunk-mounted bike rack that will fit a 02 chevy tahoe? I have been searching endlessly and have not been able to find one!

Thanks!!!
flower123

Postby gyre » Tue May 17, 2011 11:28 pm

Does a tahoe have a trunk?

I use a swagman receiver mounted rack.

There is also thule, yakima, inno, various chinese brands.

I recommend one that does not rest on the paint.
Some are much better than others.
Some rest on the glass.
gyre

Postby mudpuppy000 » Wed May 18, 2011 6:40 am

Hmm, it might be possible but I've never seen a "trunk mount" rack on the back of a SUV. Do you have a trailer hitch? Those work well, or you could potentially put the rack on the front of the truck also.
Orphan Endorphin Camp - 7:00 and A for 2015
Micro/Homebrew - Infused Vodkas - Magic Goats
http://orphanendorphin.com/
mudpuppy000

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Orphan Endorphin

Postby AntiM » Wed May 18, 2011 7:42 am

Surprisingly, they do make bike carriers that hook onto the spare tire mount or the tailgate for SUVs, including the Tahoe. The drawback is you can't use the rear hatch/window while the rack is attached.

A hitch mount is your best bet, getting a hitch installed isn't all that expensive and gives your vehicle some versatility.

JC Whitney is your friend, even if you don't buy from them, they are a great "idea" resource.

http://www.jcwhitney.com/bike-racks-and-carriers/chevrolet-tahoe/c1486d334j1s21.jcwx
Read Me!! Ticket Sellers and Seekers!

Really, read the damn sticky posts.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby Super Evil Brian » Wed May 18, 2011 8:16 am

Or, try either Performance or Bike Nashbar (really, the same company but two different brands). They have all sorts of bike racks.

Yakima, Thule, Saris are all good brands. I would avoid the cheap ones from pklaces like Wal-Mart. Cheap shit is always bad news and always costs more in the long run. It may cost less but won't work as well or may damage your car or the bike.

Even better, try local bike shops to see what they say. Many can get almost anything from their distributors while giving personal service you only find when people rely on the business for their well being. Ask them or other riders what they like. Suport a local business and you may even discover a fellow burner.

(I'm a big fan of sustainability and local business)
"I knew it was wrong, but I did it anyway."
Jesus fuckhole, what the fuck was that?
"Playa dust might be the cleanest, most corrosive filth you'll ever love," Savannah said.

Danger is funny
Super Evil Brian

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Journeylizm

Postby flower123 » Wed May 18, 2011 9:47 pm

Thanks for all the advice! And by "trunk mount" I meant the tahoe doesn't have a hitch.

I'm thinking that getting a hitch installed might be out best bet. We would definitely get other uses out of it.
flower123

Postby gyre » Wed May 18, 2011 10:02 pm

Many prefer a roof mount.
gyre

Postby duder9000 » Thu May 19, 2011 12:48 pm

For those interested in the spare tire solution and on a budget, this one is ridiculously cheap (as bike racks go) for 50 bucks. I bought it 3 burns ago and it's still going strong. It ain't pretty, and I reinforce with a shit-ton of bungees (okay, 6), but it does the job. Says it holds 3 bikes. While it holds 2 very easily, it takes us a bit of maneuvering to get the 3rd on, but we do it.

Successful albeit inelegant product for the budget-minded:

http://www.prolineracks.com/Proline-ts3 ... -rack.html

Thought I'd post because I was reaaaalll nervous about quality when I found this one for so cheap (cheapest spare tire bike rack on amazon is 85 bucks), but I've been really impressed with it. It's sturdy. (Also, by jimmying I was able to maneuver it low enough so I can still use the rear window.)
duder9000

Postby Clar-i-ty » Sat May 21, 2011 7:53 am

I've been using the same bike rack for about 5 burns on just about as many vehicles, and I got it at a rummage sale for $1.

It's a trunk rack that sits at about a 45 degree angle. I've used it on two different station wagons, a Eurovan and my 04 Beetle. A few years ago I covered it with fur. Works great!

Seriously, I'd try some yard sales. My bet is you may have luck finding what you need, especially since so many folks are ditching their SUV's. Of course for me the hunt for a specific item is half the fun. I'm just weird that way.
GET OUT OF MY TRUCK HIPPIE!
Clar-i-ty

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: GET OFF MY LAWN!

Postby Elorrum » Sat May 21, 2011 8:16 am

trunk mount works on a hatchback. Basically two padded supports and then 4 or more tie out tensioners that attach to the edges of the hatchback, or hook it down under the bumper... according to product instructions. The bike rack arms are adjustable to get them level from whatever position the rack is at. I looked at J.C. Whitney to get some ideas, but I agree with Brian to stay with some major brands. I got a Saris 2 bike on Sierra Trading post recently for under $100.
Midnight on a carousel ride
Reaching for the gold ring down inside

2015 eplaya meet and greet/ Barbie Death Village/ 7 and E/ Wed. 6PM
Elorrum

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Baby fell in the Bucket (BDV)

Postby brodi wan » Wed May 25, 2011 7:54 pm

I was considering picking up a trunk mount rack. will that be an issue at the greeters when they want to search the car? I could see that being a big hassel.
brodi wan

Camp Name: Hamster Camp-- The Wisco

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed May 25, 2011 7:58 pm

Gate does the searches, not Greeters.
Gate has to do the down and dirty business, greeters are all sweetness and light and fun.
Now that we have that taken of, I'm sure that gate has seen this all before. I don't really know what to say, because I want to be helpful after that bit o'snark. But there are actually gate folk who would have better things to say.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby mudpuppy000 » Wed May 25, 2011 8:58 pm

brodi wan wrote:I was considering picking up a trunk mount rack. will that be an issue at the greeters when they want to search the car? I could see that being a big hassel.

I haven't been hassled at gate but I guess I don't look like I'm smuggling hippies or feathers. :)
Orphan Endorphin Camp - 7:00 and A for 2015
Micro/Homebrew - Infused Vodkas - Magic Goats
http://orphanendorphin.com/
mudpuppy000

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Orphan Endorphin

Postby gyre » Wed May 25, 2011 9:04 pm

brodi wan wrote:I was considering picking up a trunk mount rack. will that be an issue at the greeters when they want to search the car? I could see that being a big hassel.
It can be.
gyre

Postby Clar-i-ty » Wed May 25, 2011 11:29 pm

The good folks at gate are going to want to look in the trunk/hatch whether bikes are on there or not.

Be sure that the back hatch can still lift when the bottom straps unhooked. They will want to lift, probe and feel around. Be sure to tell them if you have anything sharp or breakable before they start poking around.
GET OUT OF MY TRUCK HIPPIE!
Clar-i-ty

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: GET OFF MY LAWN!

Postby brodi wan » Thu May 26, 2011 11:53 am

thanks. I figure after 3 days en route, a five minute bike dismantle won't be all that big of an issue.
brodi wan

Camp Name: Hamster Camp-- The Wisco

Re: Bike rack help!!

Postby rideincircles » Thu Aug 20, 2015 10:06 am

I am looking into a bike rack for my cargo van rental. Are there any that will work with double swinging doors?

The van looks like this and the back doors are almost totally flat.

I was hoping to avoid cramming the bikes in there, but have no idea what bike rack to buy at the moment. I doubt it will have a tow hitch. The van is not an option on the yakima website and I have not heard back from them on my question.

rideincircles

Burning Since: 2015

Return to Transportation