Refueling at BRC

Bikes, trikes, personal mobility and mutant vehicles - this is the place to discuss general transportation issues. For ride and RV shares, please go to Share Resources.

Refueling at BRC

Postby KenfromLA » Thu May 12, 2011 5:48 pm

I'm bringing a new art car to the Playa this year. (Charlie the Unicorn, details on our Kickstart page here http://kck.st/CandyMt )

We'll need to refuel at some point. People have been telling me to contact Bear from Sierra Fuels, but I can't seem to find a contact. Anyone have his info or other possible fuel services?

Sparkle, sparkle!

Ken
Sparkle Sparkle!
KenfromLA

Postby Token » Thu May 12, 2011 6:13 pm

Bringing a full gas can or few works for most people.
Token

Burning Since: 2001

Postby dragonpilot » Thu May 12, 2011 6:28 pm

There are no fuel sales permitted inside the venue. If you need supplemental fuel make arrangements before arrival or bring your own.
Don't bore your friends with all your troubles. Tell your enemies instead, for they will delight in hearing about them.
dragonpilot

Burning Since: 2005

Postby KenfromLA » Thu May 12, 2011 6:28 pm

Big art car, two gennys. We'll need at least another 50 gallons on playa. That's way to much for jerry cans
Sparkle Sparkle!
KenfromLA

Postby dragonpilot » Thu May 12, 2011 6:35 pm

KenfromLA wrote:Big art car, two gennys. We'll need at least another 50 gallons on playa. That's way to much for jerry cans

Whether you're trailering or driving your cars and they are that big, isn't there room for a 50 gallon fuel drum with hand pump?

That's not to say you can't pay someone to bring extra fuel in for your use, but again...no vending except for ice and espresso. There's time...get to planning! Good luck!
Don't bore your friends with all your troubles. Tell your enemies instead, for they will delight in hearing about them.
dragonpilot

Burning Since: 2005

Postby KenfromLA » Thu May 12, 2011 6:56 pm

I've heard from several people that you can set up an account with Sierra Fuel, basically pay in advance, I just don't know how to reach them.

I'd do the big drum of fuel with the pump, but don't have a lift gate. Damn thing weighs to much. Plus the fire hazard in camp.

I just love the idea of someone pulling up and topping us off. It would make things very easy.

That being said, thank you for the tips, we might just have to do what your saying.
Sparkle Sparkle!
KenfromLA

Postby jkisha » Thu May 12, 2011 7:35 pm

KenfromLA wrote:I've heard from several people that you can set up an account with Sierra Fuel, basically pay in advance, I just don't know how to reach them.

Hmmm...have you tried Google?
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby Sham » Thu May 12, 2011 7:47 pm

These urls sometimes have a snarky tone, but they work.
http://tinyurl.com/443gcm9
Sham

Postby brodi wan » Thu May 12, 2011 8:30 pm

Sierra Fuel CO
317 Sutro Street
Reno, NV 89512-3536
(775) 322-2111
brodi wan

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Sparkle Spaz Carny Tron

Postby Trishntek » Thu May 12, 2011 9:08 pm

So is somebody going to make the phone call for him too?
RETROFROLIC, the place of Pink, Pain and Pleasure!
http://www.retrofrolic.com
Some call me Tnt,,,, works for me!
Trishntek

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Retrofrolic!

Postby mdmf007 » Thu May 12, 2011 9:52 pm

We have bought fuel from Sierra in the past. There is usually a pretty hefty surcharge. You would be better of bringing an empty drum and filling it at Brunos.
mdmf007

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: ESD

Postby KenfromLA » Thu May 12, 2011 11:33 pm

Thanks Brodi. I just want to gather all the information, decide what is best solution for our situation.

Now we someone please dial the phone for me...
Sparkle Sparkle!
KenfromLA

Postby Dustdevil » Thu May 12, 2011 11:50 pm

I would NOT count on getting fuel from Beer at Sierra Fuels. Yes he is out there, but his crew and time is limited. He sells fuel to the larger users. He fuels the Center Camp generators etc. He will fuel Theme Camp generators if the consumption is large enough. He does not have a fixed location. He has a route that he drives for the large users. Our camp uses him, but we also take on 75 gallons a day or more. The other issue is in trying to find him. His route times vary. He has maps of the genny locations and they do not need someone there when he fills them, thus the prepayment plan. You leave him a credit card and he sends you a receipt after the event.
You will be much better off bringing your own fuel. Most of the camps that use under 200 gallons for the week bring their own. It is not that much trouble. If you filled out a theme camp app, you will notice there was a box to check off for fuel storage over 20 gallons. Checking that box notifiess the Fire Art Safety Team and the ESD for fuel storage. You may or may not get a visit from FAST to make certain you are storing it correctly and have a fire extinguisher near by. NOT on the fuel cans. You wouldn't believe how often we see that.
The FAST team will be making more camp inspections this year.
Those who think they can and those who think they can't are both right.
Dustdevil

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: Brain Freeze / Got Stickers Camp

Postby KenfromLA » Thu May 12, 2011 11:56 pm

Dustdevil, thank you for this info. Very helpful indeed.
Sparkle Sparkle!
KenfromLA

Postby Dustdevil » Fri May 13, 2011 12:02 am

The other issue I failed to mention is finding Beer or him finding you once you are out there. Yes, if you registered your theme camp you will have a general idea of the location, but it won't be exact until you get placed.

Beer is mobile so finding him can be challenging. The large theme camps get there early and it is easier to find him without a huge crowd. Then he can get you on his route.

There really is no problem with storing fuel, if it is done correctly. For Megatropolis, The Raygun Gothic Rocketship and Crude Awakening we stored hundreds of gallons of Methanol and JP8. If you have large quantities it can be stored at the BM fuel depot.

I would suggest 5 or 10 gallon cans as they are easier to deal with than a 55 gal drum.
Those who think they can and those who think they can't are both right.
Dustdevil

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: Brain Freeze / Got Stickers Camp

Postby motskyroonmatick » Fri May 13, 2011 9:05 pm

I brought 25 gallons of fuel to the burn twice in jerry cans securely strapped in to place under my trailered mutant vehicle. It was no big deal. I could have done 50 gallons if necessary. I stored them in the shade on a tarp with the tops cracked just enough to let them breathe. 5 gallon jerry cans are great as you can take them to the mutant vehicle rather than maneuvering the mutant vehicle to a specific point like a hard to move drum.

Can you increase the fuel capacity of your mutant vehicle? Can you mount a dispensing tank on an unused space on the vehicle? I had plenty of room next to the frame rails.

Let us know what your solution is so that others can consider it. I'm sure there are many people considering the same thing.

Good luck!!!!
Stag Camp 8, 2014. Black Rock City Welding and Repair.

When you pass the 4th "bridge out!" sign; the flaming death is all yours.-Knowmad-
motskyroonmatick

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: StagCamp+B.R.C. Welding&Repair.

Return to Transportation