Weeklong truck rentals

Bikes, trikes, personal mobility and mutant vehicles - this is the place to discuss general transportation issues. For ride and RV shares, please go to the year-specific Share Resources board.

Weeklong truck rentals

Postby belisama » Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:41 am

I apologize, because I'm sure this is probably in the boards somewhere, but searching on various terms brings up so many unrelated threads that don't help me that I was lost trying to sift through them all.

My camp is interested in renting a U-Haul truck or trailer to bring all our stuff out this year. I've seen all you other folks with them, despite your laudable efforts to obscure the logos.

I'm wondering about how to go about getting an "in-town" rental for so many days for the best price.

In-town rentals seem to be the appropriate choice since it'll be the same pick-up and drop-off, but then if you go truck instead of trailer you pay per mile and since we'll likely be coming from LA, that's like $900 just in mileage fees let alone the gas! The in-town rentals also only quote the rate for one day and don't have a way to get additional days, and I'm hesitant to tip them off that we plan to burnify the equipment by asking about 8 days before we know for sure what our plan is.

The one-way rentals usually offer unlimited mileage and easy ways to add additional days, but then you have to drop the truck off somewhere different than you started. I'm guessing picking two different locations in LA wouldn't really work.

So those of you that have done the U-Haul thing, how did you do it? What's the most economical solution when combining rental fees and gas costs?
belisama

Postby TomServo » Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:50 am

It was posted here a while back....but if you find two rental companies within a reasonable(for you, not them) distance from each other, you pay the one way rate. Research it, but I believe their are ways around the extra costs.
anything worth doing is worth overdoing..
TomServo

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: BloodBath&Beyond

Postby Elderberry » Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:55 pm

One way rentals work with the pickup and drop off locations being as close as 20 miles, maybe even less. We got a quote picking up in Long Beach and dropping off in Las Angeles, about 20 miles or so, and avoided all mileage charges and even got two free days.

However, we never got to take advantage of the offer because they would not rent to anyone going to Burning Man and my partner wouldn't let me lie to them.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
Elderberry

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby Savannah » Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:18 pm

20 miles' difference is good idea.

Someone posted on the board last year (or the year before) about their 1-way rental being canceled inconveniently close to the Burn when the rental place realized people had figured out how to take flagrant advantage of 1-way rates.
Savannah

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby Ugly Dougly » Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:52 pm

One solution: find a few other burners in your area and go in on a larger vehicle.
Another: look into buying something with the idea to sell it when you get back.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby Elderberry » Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:58 pm

Savannah wrote:20 miles' difference is good idea.

Someone posted on the board last year (or the year before) about their 1-way rental being canceled inconveniently close to the Burn when the rental place realized people had figured out how to take flagrant advantage of 1-way rates.

In my case I actually made a point of telling them exactly how many miles I anticipated putting on the truck and the person I spoke with told me it made no difference. He was a manager.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
Elderberry

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby Savannah » Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:00 pm

I'm glad to hear it--I'm just speaking for the guy who got his reservation canceled when his pickup and drop-off locations were only a few miles apart. I don't know what company he was dealing with.

eta: I would (personally) risk less than 20 miles apart, but if it was feasible . . .
Savannah

Postby belisama » Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:56 pm

Thanks for all the tips! I will definitely check out what kind of used old things might be a good deal to just buy and resell.

We have enough people to spread costs around, except many in our group are of limited means (underpaid non-profit workers, nonsalaried part-timers, those taking a "year off" from employment, etc.) so we're still trying to watch our budget. Last year we spent about $200pp on infrastructure, food, and water (on top of most of us spending a few hundred dollars crossing the country and of course the ticket cost), and we'd really like to get that down to more like $100 this time around given that we aren't a fancy theme camp. We've worked out a food/water list that amounts to about $25 per person for the whole week, which leaves us about $75pp for our monkey hut PVC and rebar and a truck (including gas). Times 15 people that's still several hundred dollars, but it's not exactly a $1500 truck rental =)

Some of my sifting through threads indicated it might easier to find burner-friendly rentals in Nevada or more specifically in Reno. My camp thinks this might be possible for us. We're actually mostly coming from the East Coast but 4 of our 15 campers are based in LA so we are using LA as a jumping-off base, with some of us riding in from there and the rest crossing country by planes and trains and hitching their way into the city by various means to meet us there. Now it seems like the smart choice might be for our LA party to drive regular ol' cars to Reno, and rent a truck from there to do the rest of the journey. Not to mention gas mileage from LA to Reno would be better in a car.

What are the odds this fellow Steve at the Budget on Gentry Way still has trucks left? Are there other burner-friendly places we might consider? How early would we need to get to Reno to ensure the stores aren't totally wiped out of all their supplies?
belisama

Postby davem » Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:24 pm

belisama wrote:What are the odds this fellow Steve at the Budget on Gentry Way still has trucks left? Are there other burner-friendly places we might consider? How early would we need to get to Reno to ensure the stores aren't totally wiped out of all their supplies?

I just rented my box truck from Budget on Gentry through their website a few weeks back. I called into their office and they said they were going to be stocking up on extra trucks for the burn. The office would not take my reservation... I had to reserve through the corporate site: https://www.budgettruck.com/

** When reserving online, you are not charged until time of rental

** Extra Tip ** - Do a search on Google and you can often times find 15 to 20% off coupon codes for Budget (or most any other company) that you can enter at the time of your order. That should help save a few extra bucks.

Here are some links I kept in my notes about Box Truck rentals.

viewtopic.php?t=35289&highlight=box+truck+budget

viewtopic.php?t=35777&highlight=box+truck+budget

Good luck!

:)
davem

Postby TomServo » Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:11 pm

Another tip: Never mention Burning Man!
anything worth doing is worth overdoing..
TomServo

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: BloodBath&Beyond

Postby lucky420 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:39 am

You can say you're going to the Rib Cook-Off in Sparks, Nv...
lucky420

Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby Lassen Forge » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:00 am

Your Relative who's been staying with you is starting school in San Francisco (or hell, UNR), and you're helping her move her stuff out there so she doesn't have to pay for a mover, then enjoying a "mini-vacation" during the drive back, to see the sights...

(Of course, you don't have to tell them you're relative is a dead parakeet , and that your "mini-vacation" goes by way of Gerlach... and points beyond...)

Just make sure you clean the hell out of your truck. And don't forget to cover their logos and crap on playa...
Lassen Forge

Location: Where it's always... Wednesday. Don't lose your head over it.

Return to Transportation