A MV question

Bikes, trikes, personal mobility and mutant vehicles - this is the place to discuss general transportation issues. For ride and RV shares, please go to the year-specific Share Resources board.

A MV question

Postby Recoil » Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:26 am

Do any of you know how long it normally takes for the DMV to respond to a MV app? put mine in the day it opened and was just wondering
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, "Damn...that was fun!"
Recoil

Postby TomServo » Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:30 am

Ive never applied, but it takes a while from what Ive heard. Can you post a pic of your project? I was a DMV hottie a few years back, and can give you an idea of what to expect.
anything worth doing is worth overdoing..
TomServo

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: BloodBath&Beyond

Postby Recoil » Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:43 am

got some in the works pics and the basic idea pics on a flicker just for the project that was linked to the app

http://www.flickr.com/photos/59608534@N ... otostream/

it will have a small sound system that will play the chicken dance song for people to dance to but will not be playing all the time just at random times and place's when i feel the time is right lol
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, "Damn...that was fun!"
Recoil

Postby VeganChoirGirl » Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:48 am

PM motskyroonmatick, he will be able to give you a better idea. He recently posted in this thread.

http://eplaya.burningman.com/viewtopic.php?p=644257&highlight=#644257
Finally moving to SF...can't WAIT!
VeganChoirGirl

Postby TomServo » Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:02 am

If your MV is anything like the sketch, you should be ok! Key is to make the base vehicle unrecognizable....radically modified. Looks like youve done that. Also, safety features give hotties a hard on....even the female hotties. Being able to transport burners is a plus as well.
TomServo

Postby Elderberry » Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:05 am

TomServo wrote:If your MV is anything like the sketch, you should be ok! Key is to make the base vehicle unrecognizable....radically modified. Looks like youve done that. Also, safety features give hotties a hard on....even the female hotties. Being able to transport burners is a plus as well.

I agree
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
Elderberry

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby Major Krash » Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:17 am

neat concept...

is it electric or gas cart? The accelerator pedal will be an interesting job re-positioning...

I think the DMV Hotties just started reviewing apps a few weekends ago...typically there are 3 possible outcomes; Immediate Approval, Immediate Rejection, and More Study Needed...(which vehicles with flame effects often get put into by default so the FAST Team can review them). Last year some people were getting responses within 3 weeks or so...others that put in on opening day did not get an approval for months. Not hearing might mean it is in the "more study needed" pile, or that they have not gotten to it yet...did you get a confirmation email that it had been received?
Major Krash

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Sideshow

Postby Dustdevil » Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:24 am

Do not expect an answer in the near future. The DMV data base has been rewritten, testing is done and we should be live within 3-4 weeks. I have not been able to start processing the flame effect MV's yet. I would expect word to be going out mid April.
Those who think they can and those who think they can't are both right.
Dustdevil

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: Brain Freeze / Got Stickers

Postby TomServo » Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:38 am

Dustdevil wrote:Do not expect an answer in the near future. The DMV data base has been rewritten, testing is done and we should be live within 3-4 weeks. I have not been able to start processing the flame effect MV's yet. I would expect word to be going out mid April.

When will volunteers be notified? I sent in my questionaire...didnt have to do that in the past.
TomServo

Postby Dustdevil » Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:57 am

I handle volunteers for the Flame Effects team, but as far as the DMV Hotties go, I really couldn't answer that. I would suggest a followup letter to the DMV.

Jack
Those who think they can and those who think they can't are both right.
Dustdevil

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: Brain Freeze / Got Stickers

Postby Recoil » Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:17 pm

its a gas, i just got the base started and the driver seat in place now but shouldent be to bad to do

making the wings and head move might be a little challenging but i have a basic idea of how it can work in my head using pulleys cables and springs

thank you guys for the heads up on the time frame since i started work on it all ready i was just a little worryed that id be half way threw the project with time and money invested to hear that it was turned down witch would suck but none the less ill keep working away as planed
Recoil

Postby motskyroonmatick » Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:59 pm

These not optimal dark pictures are of the hand throttle and brake control I made for Golficus Carticus a golf cart that I loan out to a disabled person for the burn. Push forward to apply pressure to the go pedal and pull backwards to apply the brakes. Something like it may work for extending your controls.

It is hinged at the floor with a simple bolt hinge. There is a bearing at the end of the tube that acts on the throttle pedal. It makes for smooth application and with the balance of the arm it will return to off on it's own if let go.

The small cable for the brake control goes through the fire wall entering a small copper tube at the fire wall making a U turn in the tube to come back out of the fire wall directly behind the brake pedal where it is attached on the back of the pedal. The end that is attached to the throttle control lever goes through the square tube closer to the hinge point for mechanical advantage and is shortened or lengthened by the turnbuckle on top of the throttle arm.

Clear as mud?

The small button at the top of the arm is the horn button and the wires run through the tube. It is located in a very good spot for use with the index finger and is exceptionally easy to bump unintentionally for those priceless extremely loud horn surprises.

I can't wait to hear the chicken dance and see people doing it with the chicken. That's going to be awesome.
Black Rock City Welding and Repair. The Night Time Warming Station.

Card Carrying Member BRCCP.

When you pass the 4th "bridge out!" sign; the flaming death is all yours.-Knowmad-
motskyroonmatick

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: B.R.C. Welding&Repair.

Postby Recoil » Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:37 pm

thats basicly what i was thinking but my base ended up being 5 feet from the ground to get a good shape for the chicken with out it looking smushed so i might just use cable for the gas and break to hand control just because to get it all the way to the top the amount of movement needed to engage would be very far but well see i get to play around with these idea's next time i go to the shop on monday

whats the rest of it look like if i might ask?
Recoil

Postby motskyroonmatick » Sat Mar 12, 2011 12:31 am

Run of the mill club car gasser. It is built for practicality. I added a CB and OHHHOGAHHHH horn to it after this picture was taken. It was fun to bring it back in to really good shape after it had been trashed. It only leaves the garage to play in the snow, short jaunts around town and to go to the burn as a disabled vehicle. Not mutated and no real plans too. There is a really great sticker collection developing on the underside of the roof. :)

A cable system would be a very practical solution for what you have planned especially since you can route it using guides and pulleys.

When you pass the 4th "bridge out!" sign; the flaming death is all yours.-Knowmad-
motskyroonmatick

Postby Recoil » Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:01 am

since yours is gas and looks similar to my cart (mine is a G2 if i remember right) how dose it handle staying under the 5 mph limit? mine seems to be a little jerky trying to keep it going slow but is doable just a little annoying
Recoil

Postby motskyroonmatick » Sat Mar 12, 2011 12:17 pm

All the linkages having to do with the throttle and speed governor were set short when I got my cart. It was impossible to drive it slow without stopping and starting the engine and it spent one year at the burn doing just that.

I asked on a golf cart message board about how to make it drive super slow and the experts told me that frequently people shorten all the linkages/cables to make the cart go fast and to try to bypass the governor.

I readjusted the throttle linkage at the carburetor to open just after the run microswitch is activated. It was shortened to WFO previously. You may need to open the electrical/linkage box to observe/hear the linkage action or to adjust the length of the cable if it is anything like my club car. I also had to tighten the return spring on the carburetor so that it would naturally want to close and help keep the linkages in that area taut. This helped with fine throttle control and sticking immensely.

I loosened the nut on the governor lever that secures the lever to the arm that goes forward to act on the throttle. This is in the transaxle area just inboard of the driven clutch on my GC. I secured it back in place where I observed marks on the rod where it seemed to be set at at the factory. It was perfect. I then fucked with it several times and had to return it to the first place I reset it at. :P

Now it's minimum speed is about half of walking speed and maximum is probably 15mph or so. I was concerned with possibly burning belts going so slow but I have never seen, smelled or had any indication that there is excess wear going on from driving it slow.

Hope this points you in the right direction.

motskyroonmatick

Postby Recoil » Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:44 pm

i think i know of the governor screw, ill have to fiddle with it to find out what direction it needs to go, at the moment its in the middle of the threads

not 100% sure what your talking about the the linkage box but ill mess with it some on monday lol
Recoil

Postby motskyroonmatick » Sun Mar 13, 2011 8:21 pm

The "linkage box" is a box where some electronic and mechanical parts work together to either tell the cart to start, run or to stop. The throttle cable goes through there and acts on several things as part of the normal operating process. The adjustment to lengthen or shorten the throttle cable was there. I was mistaken when I said I adjusted it at the carburetor.

motskyroonmatick

Postby Recoil » Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:26 pm

fast update

messed with the gov screw and it runs perfect! thanks for the heads up hehe
Recoil

Postby motskyroonmatick » Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:49 pm

Fuck YEAH!

motskyroonmatick

Postby Bob » Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:49 am

As awesome as the advice in this thread appears to be, I still weep for anyone hoping to show up at the Burning Man gate with anything spontaneous.

Good luck, you youngsters, and don't let the bastards grind you down.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby Recoil » Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:34 pm

not sure i understand what your trying to say bob
Recoil

Postby Dr. Pyro » Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:03 pm

Well Recoil, I certainly do.
Dr. Pyro

Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Return to Transportation