DIY Scooter

Bikes, trikes, personal mobility and mutant vehicles - this is the place to discuss general transportation issues. For ride and RV shares, please go to Share Resources.

DIY Scooter

Postby zupermike » Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:11 am

Check out my motorized scooter that I recently built. I was hoping to bring it with me this year to burningman. I've read the rules about single rider and no seats for stand up scooters so I was planning on removing the seat and seat post. I will also be adding neon lighting as well as a normal headlight and possibly a small sound system. What do you think? Will I have problems bringing it through the gates? Do I need to contact DMV about this? Anyone else build this sort of thing? If so what did you do?



Image
zupermike
 
Posts: 23
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:43 pm
Location: Santa Ana, CA

Postby AntiM » Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:27 am

If the seat is off, you will be fine.
You're supposed to stay at 5 mph. Practice the slow, balanced ride. Also, if it is noisy, you will be universally despised, so consider a muffler. I hate that angry sewing machine sound some of these things have. (Opinions will vary)

Sound system? Why? You'll be too busy to listen to your own tunes and there so much else going on ... sorry, I just never have understood the urge to put sound on everything.
Some sunshine, some dust, a little paint and a tutu. Yeah.
User avatar
AntiM
Moderator
 
Posts: 17533
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2004 6:23 am
Location: Wild, Wild West
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby gyre » Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:06 am

Not sure the wheels are wide enough.

I would ask the dmv, if I were you.
User avatar
gyre
 
Posts: 15465
Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2005 6:01 pm
Location: ΦάÏ

Postby gyre » Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:13 am

Note the speed limit is 5 mph or less, depending on dust and safety.

In the city, usually less.
If you aren't geared for that and stable, you'll be pushing it in crowds and chased for dust everywhere else.

Narrow tires are usually worse generating dust.
Wide and smooth works best.
User avatar
gyre
 
Posts: 15465
Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2005 6:01 pm
Location: ΦάÏ

Postby zupermike » Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:17 am

@AntiM yea I probably won't end up putting speakers on it. I was considering making a better muffler for it but its really not that loud. Only at high speeds does it really get noisy. I'll still probably make one though. It idles nicely just above walking speed :-)

@Gyre The tires are the standard BMX width so I think I should be good wouldn't you think? I plan to test it on some dry lakes in the next few months to make sure. As far as gearing goes, it has none. It has a spindle friction drive on the back wheel with a hand clutch that lifts the motor off the wheel.

Also this won't be my only form of transportation since I also build tall bikes :-)

Image
zupermike
 
Posts: 23
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:43 pm
Location: Santa Ana, CA

Postby AntiM » Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:30 am

Nice tall bike! LOL, just the color of the community bikes....
Some sunshine, some dust, a little paint and a tutu. Yeah.
User avatar
AntiM
Moderator
 
Posts: 17533
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2004 6:23 am
Location: Wild, Wild West
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby TomServo » Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:47 am

Lose the seat, and you'll be fine. Love the tall bike! heres my long bike..R.I.P.

Image
anything worth doing is worth overdoing..
User avatar
TomServo
 
Posts: 6128
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2004 2:17 pm
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: BloodBath&Beyond

Postby Bounce530 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:28 pm

I've always wanted to try riding one of those tall bikes.
What other people think about you is none of your business.
User avatar
Bounce530
 
Posts: 1580
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 11:26 am
Location: 6:30 & H
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: BRC Guardian docking pad

Postby gyre » Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:28 pm

Rim size can matter too..
User avatar
gyre
 
Posts: 15465
Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2005 6:01 pm
Location: ΦάÏ

Postby zupermike » Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:24 pm

Here are a few more I've built.


Image

Image

Image

Image
zupermike
 
Posts: 23
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:43 pm
Location: Santa Ana, CA

Postby TomServo » Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:42 pm

Fucking Awesome! I'm impressed! I especially like #3
anything worth doing is worth overdoing..
User avatar
TomServo
 
Posts: 6128
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2004 2:17 pm
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: BloodBath&Beyond

Postby zupermike » Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:58 pm

TomServo wrote:Fucking Awesome! I'm impressed! I especially like #3


Thanks. I call that one my "Hi-Lo" rider bike. I've seen that pic of your long bike before and love it! Did you build it?
zupermike
 
Posts: 23
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:43 pm
Location: Santa Ana, CA

Postby TomServo » Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:09 pm

zupermike wrote:
TomServo wrote:Fucking Awesome! I'm impressed! I especially like #3


Thanks. I call that one my "Hi-Lo" rider bike. I've seen that pic of your long bike before and love it! Did you build it?


I designed it, but my friend did the welding. The flames I cut myself with his plasma torch....

The flame affects...not shown...I did myself.

Curious...have you ever tried making a tracked bicycle?
anything worth doing is worth overdoing..
User avatar
TomServo
 
Posts: 6128
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2004 2:17 pm
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: BloodBath&Beyond

Postby zupermike » Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:15 pm

TomServo wrote:
zupermike wrote:
TomServo wrote:Fucking Awesome! I'm impressed! I especially like #3


Thanks. I call that one my "Hi-Lo" rider bike. I've seen that pic of your long bike before and love it! Did you build it?


I designed it, but my friend did the welding. The flames I cut myself with his plasma torch....

The flame affects...not shown...I did myself.

Curious...have you ever tried making a tracked bicycle?


You mean with tank like tracks instead of wheels? No, not sure how you would go about do that. Next on my list is going to be a side car.
zupermike
 
Posts: 23
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:43 pm
Location: Santa Ana, CA

Postby TomServo » Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:18 pm

zupermike wrote:
TomServo wrote:
zupermike wrote:
TomServo wrote:Fucking Awesome! I'm impressed! I especially like #3


Thanks. I call that one my "Hi-Lo" rider bike. I've seen that pic of your long bike before and love it! Did you build it?


I designed it, but my friend did the welding. The flames I cut myself with his plasma torch....

The flame affects...not shown...I did myself.

Curious...have you ever tried making a tracked bicycle?


You mean with tank like tracks instead of wheels? No, not sure how you would go about do that. Next on my list is going to be a side car.


Tracks are a different ballgame... please post a pic of your sidecar! I love mutated bicycles!
anything worth doing is worth overdoing..
User avatar
TomServo
 
Posts: 6128
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2004 2:17 pm
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: BloodBath&Beyond

Postby zupermike » Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:27 pm

TomServo wrote:
zupermike wrote:
TomServo wrote:
zupermike wrote:
TomServo wrote:Fucking Awesome! I'm impressed! I especially like #3


Thanks. I call that one my "Hi-Lo" rider bike. I've seen that pic of your long bike before and love it! Did you build it?


I designed it, but my friend did the welding. The flames I cut myself with his plasma torch....

The flame affects...not shown...I did myself.

Curious...have you ever tried making a tracked bicycle?


You mean with tank like tracks instead of wheels? No, not sure how you would go about do that. Next on my list is going to be a side car.


Tracks are a different ballgame... please post a pic of your sidecar! I love mutated bicycles!


Ok one last pic :-) This is the trike I modified for my GF.

Image
zupermike
 
Posts: 23
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:43 pm
Location: Santa Ana, CA

Postby TomServo » Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:30 pm

You need to do this for a living.
anything worth doing is worth overdoing..
User avatar
TomServo
 
Posts: 6128
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2004 2:17 pm
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: BloodBath&Beyond

Postby motskyroonmatick » Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:38 pm

Nice work zupermike. Take the seat off of the scooter and it will be fine for BRC. Maybe put a little basket on the seat post so you can carry things? Or a box to make it a little more secure?

Keep up the good work.
Black Rock City Welding and Repair. The Night Time Warming Station.

When you pass the 4th "bridge out!" sign; the flaming death is all yours.-Knowmad-
User avatar
motskyroonmatick
 
Posts: 1647
Joined: Sun Jul 09, 2006 11:37 am
Location: Aurora Oregon
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: B.R.C. Welding&Repair.

Postby zupermike » Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:59 pm

TomServo wrote:You need to do this for a living.


I would love to but I just can't seem to find any buyers yet.
zupermike
 
Posts: 23
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:43 pm
Location: Santa Ana, CA

Postby lonestoner916 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:57 am

zupermike wrote:
TomServo wrote:You need to do this for a living.


I would love to but I just can't seem to find any buyers yet.


I'd like one trike please! :twisted:

Seriously, that thing and the "Hi-lo Rider" are in need of serious medical attention because they are TOO SICK! All of your work is quality I agree with TomServo, you should be a bike builder!
User avatar
lonestoner916
 
Posts: 891
Joined: Sun Jul 29, 2007 4:41 pm
Location: Gerlach, Nevada

Postby zupermike » Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:40 am

@lonestoner916 Thx. Everyone goes crazy over the "Munster Trike." :-)


BTW does anyone know why there is the rule about no seats on scooters? I'm totally fine with removing my seat I was just wondering. It's the homeschooler in me that was always taught to "question authority."
zupermike
 
Posts: 23
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:43 pm
Location: Santa Ana, CA

Postby TomServo » Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:58 am

zupermike wrote:@lonestoner916 Thx. Everyone goes crazy over the "Munster Trike." :-)


BTW does anyone know why there is the rule about no seats on scooters? I'm totally fine with removing my seat I was just wondering. It's the homeschooler in me that was always taught to "question authority."


its the fucking BLM that hands out these stupid rules.
anything worth doing is worth overdoing..
User avatar
TomServo
 
Posts: 6128
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2004 2:17 pm
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: BloodBath&Beyond

Postby motskyroonmatick » Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:51 am

TomServo wrote:
zupermike wrote:@lonestoner916 Thx. Everyone goes crazy over the "Munster Trike." :-)


BTW does anyone know why there is the rule about no seats on scooters? I'm totally fine with removing my seat I was just wondering. It's the homeschooler in me that was always taught to "question authority."


its the fucking BLM that hands out these stupid rules.


I believe it comes down to a state of Nevada law having to do with scooters with seats being motorcycles and subject to regulation and stand up scooters not being subject to regulation. The engine size of under 50CC is part of the law too. Don't worry. Gate is not going to check the CC of your engine should it be beyond that.
Black Rock City Welding and Repair. The Night Time Warming Station.

When you pass the 4th "bridge out!" sign; the flaming death is all yours.-Knowmad-
User avatar
motskyroonmatick
 
Posts: 1647
Joined: Sun Jul 09, 2006 11:37 am
Location: Aurora Oregon
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: B.R.C. Welding&Repair.

Postby lucky.bastard » Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:21 pm

sic bikes.., i need to learn how to weld.. i love the idea of the sidecar, if it was a recumbant attached to a hi-boi would be crazy

Image

this is my bike as a kid i found in my dad's garage and hooked up
"In cultivating my own personal sojourn of enlightenment, I've had to forego employment opportunities "
User avatar
lucky.bastard
 
Posts: 174
Joined: Thu Dec 09, 2010 6:25 pm

Postby zupermike » Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:54 pm

lucky.bastard wrote:sic bikes.., i need to learn how to weld.. i love the idea of the sidecar, if it was a recumbant attached to a hi-boi would be crazy

Image

this is my bike as a kid i found in my dad's garage and hooked up


can't seem to get the link to work.
zupermike
 
Posts: 23
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:43 pm
Location: Santa Ana, CA

Postby maryanimal » Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:02 pm

I want a munster trike!!!
Sometimes I'm confused by what I think is really obvious. But what I think is really obvious obviously isn't obvious.
User avatar
maryanimal
 
Posts: 3916
Joined: Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:41 am
Burning Since: 2011

Postby Martiansky » Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:21 pm

Zuper that trike ROCKS!!!!
I think that a chopper would look sweet with the trike attachment too!

Back in the 80's they used to make side hacks for bmx bikes....they were similar to a side car but no seat.

http://www.patriotbicycles.com/Sidehacks.htm
User avatar
Martiansky
 
Posts: 3415
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2003 6:24 pm
Location: Duluth, MN
Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: --->Hushville

Postby zupermike » Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:43 pm

Martiansky wrote:Zuper that trike ROCKS!!!!
I think that a chopper would look sweet with the trike attachment too!

Back in the 80's they used to make side hacks for bmx bikes....they were similar to a side car but no seat.

http://www.patriotbicycles.com/Sidehacks.htm


Nice. I was just researching sidehacks last night :-) Looks like wal-mart now sells a version of the sidehack too....but I'm still building my own :P
zupermike
 
Posts: 23
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:43 pm
Location: Santa Ana, CA

Postby lonestoner916 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 2:02 am

Tandem, dual sidehacks!
User avatar
lonestoner916
 
Posts: 891
Joined: Sun Jul 29, 2007 4:41 pm
Location: Gerlach, Nevada

Postby Martiansky » Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:30 am

Hey Zuper....
I was just wondering how comfy that seat is on the 3rd bike down that has no nose on it? Ive seen those in stores and wonder if they are worth it?
Thanks!
User avatar
Martiansky
 
Posts: 3415
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2003 6:24 pm
Location: Duluth, MN
Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: --->Hushville

Next

Return to Transportation

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: ridingnitro and 1 guest