Has Anyone Tried a Site to Store Bike Purchase?

Bikes, trikes, personal mobility and mutant vehicles - this is the place to discuss general transportation issues. For ride and RV shares, please go to the year-specific Share Resources board.

Has Anyone Tried a Site to Store Bike Purchase?

Postby jcliff » Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:48 pm

My two previous Burns I've bought a playa bike from Reno Kiwanis and then donated the bike back after the Burn. My problem is that I always fly in late on Monday and can't pick up a bike until Tuesday morning. By then all the decent playa bikes seem to be gone. I was thinking that this year I might buy a cruiser bike from Walmart.com, have the bike shipped to the Reno store and I can pick it up there. I can then donate the bike to Reno Kiwanis after I'm done with it. Has anyone tried this "site to store" purchase? I'd hate to drop the $80 and show up and not have a bike. Any suggestions?

Thanks!
jcliff

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Lamplighter Village

Postby Elderberry » Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:36 pm

I've never used site to store for a Bike but I have used it for other items I've ordered from them online with no problem.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
Elderberry

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby Martiansky » Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:49 pm

I have also used site to store for items other then a bike and had no problems.
You do have to figure shipping time to the store though...It could take 2 weeks to even get to the store. The site gives you a guess-timate.
Somewhere its says how long they allow you before they send it back so you have some lee-way time when ordering to pick it up before BM.
Martiansky

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: --->Hushville

Postby mdmf007 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:24 pm

Sounds like a solid way to get a bike lined up. A buddy of mine works at Walmart north of town there, the last one in fact you pass if you go up Pyramid way.

Anyways hes a burner and I am told they will be playafying display bikes. christmas LED lights, tassels, all sorts of unique stuff as an in store contest. Bikes to be sold for only what the cost of the items is worth. Hes been full of shit before so Ill ask his wife.
mdmf007

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: ESD

Postby TomServo » Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:29 pm

Its a gamble, but I've seen bike rentals in gerlach the past few years. Have no idea what they charge, but...just a thought.

The green bikes are no more?
anything worth doing is worth overdoing..
TomServo

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: BloodBath&Beyond

Postby gaminwench » Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:10 am

the green bikes are yellow, or is that the other way round??

The program is still in place (as of last year);
however, those bikes are NOT to be 'adopted' for the week - they are ONE-WAY... take one from Center Camp, ride to the Temple for the ceremony you're late for, DO NOT LOCK IT(or hide it, decorate it, mutate it) at the Temple; afterwards, if it's still there, ride it to 9:00 for pancakes, DO NOT LOCK IT( or hide it, decorate it, mutate it); continue as long as your luck holds out...

Don't count on a yellow (green) bike for your transportation all week long;
don't adopt it,
decorate it,
lock it,
hide it,
mutate it,
or remove it from the city...

Keep our community projects functional!!!!!!
gaminwench

Camp Name: DOTA, EoD, OBOP, Destiny Lounge

Postby TomServo » Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:29 am

gaminwench wrote:the green bikes are yellow, or is that the other way round??

The program is still in place (as of last year);
however, those bikes are NOT to be 'adopted' for the week - they are ONE-WAY... take one from Center Camp, ride to the Temple for the ceremony you're late for, DO NOT LOCK IT(or hide it, decorate it, mutate it) at the Temple; afterwards, if it's still there, ride it to 9:00 for pancakes, DO NOT LOCK IT( or hide it, decorate it, mutate it); continue as long as your luck holds out...

Don't count on a yellow (green) bike for your transportation all week long;
don't adopt it,
decorate it,
lock it,
hide it,
mutate it,
or remove it from the city...

Keep our community projects functional!!!!!!

I dont remember either, but i seem to remember "yellow bikes" being painted green..Maybe DPW was out of yellow...or whoever brought them
anything worth doing is worth overdoing..
TomServo

Camp Name: BloodBath&Beyond

Postby Lord Of Ruin » Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:19 am

They're called "Yellow Bikes" and are indeed painted green.

As others have said, these are a gift program by a camp for the last few years.

If one is idle, you are free to take it to your destination. When there, you're to leave it for someone else.

They're not to be adopted, hidden or locked. Ever. Nope, not even if you rode all the way out to the trash fence and you'll need it later.

Rumor has it that some people form little repo squads and go around undecorating and liberating them under the cover of darkness.

LoR
The fox provides for himself, but God provides for the lion - W. Blake (attribution corrected)
Lord Of Ruin

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Just_Joe » Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:29 am

I've done the site to store thing here in Carson City twice. Once you get the confirmation email, call the store, ask to talk to the "Bike Guy"and make sure he has it assembled before you arrive. FWIW, my last bike was was in stock locally, but it was $40 cheaper via site to store!

2010 MOOP :
Just_Joe

Camp Name: ABC (Alphabet Block Camp)

Postby phil » Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:55 pm

> make sure he has it assembled before you arrive.

This is key.
phil

Postby Freesponge » Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:41 pm

One of the fellows in the unicycle parade was going to donate one of his old unicycles. Should be interesting to see if randoms can actually get up and use the thing.
Noodles
Freesponge

Postby Strata » Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:35 pm

Which of the WalMart bikes worked for you with the site-to-store shipping?

I foolishly left my bike unlocked (it was only Tuesday, dammit) at Distrikt (well, hell, girl, that was dumb) and it vanished. I had clipped the name and address tag off it and not replaced it, since I had a camp tag on it (stoopid).

Sigh.

I tried all the rest of the week to find a green/yellow bike that wasn't locked down or obviously occupied, but no dice. Folks would park one, and if you moved towards it say "I'm using that one". I thought the point was to ride it somewhere and then pass it on? Ah well.

So yah, looking for a new playa bike this year; described the tags and stuff on mine to the sweeps folks in the hope mine would surface but no luck.
Engineer, Artist, Gardener, Slacker, Bodhisattva
BearHug * KF6NBZ * Comms9060
* 1995, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011 *
Strata

Burning Since: 2006

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:18 pm

Strata wrote:I tried all the rest of the week to find a green/yellow bike that wasn't locked down or obviously occupied, but no dice. Folks would park one, and if you moved towards it say "I'm using that one". I thought the point was to ride it somewhere and then pass it on? Ah well.

it is the point. but sometimes people push it. entitlement...
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Postby oneeyeddick » Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:41 pm

If someone's ass ain't on it, then it is yours to ride....be sure to flip them off as you ride away next time.
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.
oneeyeddick

Burning Since: 1996

Return to Transportation