What to expect on the drive in police wise

Bikes, trikes, personal mobility and mutant vehicles - this is the place to discuss general transportation issues. For ride and RV shares, please go to Share Resources.

Postby AntiM » Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:16 pm

MyDearFriend wrote:
mode-of-operation wrote: ...a bunch of really really good stuff and...

have a nice day.

Thank you, sir! 8) And thank you all. I have been laying awake at night thinking about my ten-hour drive up from Vegas but now I feel better. I am used to seeing lots of LEOs of all types here in DC, but I don't know too much about the situation out west. Information always helps!

You've been watching that Desperation movie, haven't you? Tak tak.
Some sunshine, some dust, a little paint and a tutu. Yeah.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby Sail Man » Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:47 pm

Boijoy wrote:::: waving at the nice copper :::::and showing a little potato skin :wink: :D

:lol:
Excuse me Ma'am, your going to feel a small prick.

Algorithms never survive the first thirty seconds of patient contact
Sail Man

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Kidsville: Delicious

Postby MyDearFriend » Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:01 pm

AntiM wrote:
MyDearFriend wrote:
mode-of-operation wrote: ...a bunch of really really good stuff and...

have a nice day.

Thank you, sir! 8) And thank you all. I have been laying awake at night thinking about my ten-hour drive up from Vegas but now I feel better. I am used to seeing lots of LEOs of all types here in DC, but I don't know too much about the situation out west. Information always helps!

You've been watching that Desperation movie, haven't you? Tak tak.

What Desperation movie? :shock: Wait wait don't tell me, I changed my mind: some information does NOT help! :P
Practice Love. Exercise Sex.

FREE THE SHERPAS
MyDearFriend

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp DREAD PIRATE BARBIE

Postby AntiM » Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:40 pm

Google is your friend. I preferred the book. By Stephen King, set in Nevada. You'd love it. Hehehehe.
Some sunshine, some dust, a little paint and a tutu. Yeah.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby DoctorIknow » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:04 pm

Two stops in 10 years.

Justified: First one coming back, down the big hill going west on 80. Speeding. My ears had not "cleared" from the altitude and my van was very quiet (it sounds different past 65mph.) I was going 75 and didn't even notice.

Complete BS: Stopped going to BM 10 miles out of Reno because trooper says "CA plate wasn't found in database." He does the "talk up the driver" routine, goes back to his car, waits 5 minutes, comes back and says "the dispatcher got your plate numbers mixed up. Have a nice day"

Never had THAT one before.
DoctorIknow

Postby MyDearFriend » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:29 pm

AntiM wrote:Google is your friend. I preferred the book. By Stephen King, set in Nevada. You'd love it. Hehehehe.

*fingers in ears*

la la la I can't hear you!

Thanks AntiM but I think I'll wait & Google that when ( IF ) I get back. Stephen King knows exactly how to unsettle my brain stem.

:shock:
Practice Love. Exercise Sex.

FREE THE SHERPAS
MyDearFriend

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp DREAD PIRATE BARBIE

Postby ibdave » Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:25 pm

12 years with the 1st four midweek entry I have seen 3 cars pulled over and emptied on the roadside in Nixon right at the curve... One year left midweek to get my Wife in Reno and I got a written warning for speeding. I had just set the speed control right @ 65 headed towards Gerlach. Local heading to the BM pull off got me in the radar. Told him bla bla and he pointed out that from Gerlach to the Oregon Border it's 55. I'm clean and so was the car so I got the warning... The dude was wearing a dab Green uniform KILT... I asked and he said we burner can't have all the fun.... 8) 8) 8)
I was Born OK the 1st Time....

Don't bring defaultia to Burning Man, take Burning Man to defaultia...... graidawg
ibdave

Burning Since: 1998

Postby lonestoner916 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:16 pm

AntiM wrote:Google is your friend. I preferred the book. By Stephen King, set in Nevada. You'd love it. Hehehehe.

The book was great! Tak-a-lak!
lonestoner916

Postby lucky420 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:52 pm

agreed, the book is better than the movie....Tak tak
lucky420

Burning Since: I'm not sure
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:06 pm

lucky420 wrote:agreed, the book is better than the movie....Tak tak

The book, regardless of what book it is, usually is better than the movie. Ak-ak.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby teardropper » Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:11 pm

Shambala wrote:I usually wait until I'm inside BRC to request the strip search.

Yep. The Greeters give much better strip search...
\^/
/..\ Furthur
teardropper

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: The late Lazy Fucks. Now Orphan Eaters.

Postby jcliff » Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:58 am

This has already been addressed well, but having been pulled over two years ago....I can't help chiming in. I can't emphasize the speed thing enough. We were leaving about 4am after the Burn and had open roads. I got pulled over for being literally 4 miles over the speed limit. Thankfully, I was extremely polite to the officer and he let us go. Live and learn.....2 under for now on.
jcliff

Camp Name: Lamplighter Village

Postby Rilopie » Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:49 am

My boyfriend told me that some of his friends were pulled over and searched after making an illegal u-turn.
as far as the speed issue goes I like to keep my cruise control set the just a hair under the speed limit, which seems to work because I haven't been pulled over yet!
Rilopie

Postby teardropper » Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:35 pm

jcliff wrote:This has already been addressed well.....2 under for now on.

Not so fast there, or slow... Don't know this personally, but was told that going through the Res someone was pulled over going UNDER the limit. Something about obstructing traffic or suspicious behavior. But was going SLOW, not too fast. Could be a horrible rumor, though. Don't have it on first word authority.
\^/
/..\ Furthur
teardropper

Postby teardropper » Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:42 pm

I come in from the north, doesn't seem like so many weird places to get stopped, but I have a car, potable GPS unit stuck on my windshield that tells your exact speed, which is a couple to few mph different than trucks speedo. I rely on this, instead of the vehicles speedo. In addition to being very handy fro getting around in town, strange or not, and getting through strange towns freeway systems, the speedo feature is very nice.
\^/
/..\ Furthur
teardropper

Postby moonrise » Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:48 pm

Off Topic:

Huh, when I drove OUT Weds, crack of dawn, the Reservation police sheltered me behind a dune/hilll, I did stop and ask nicely, offered to pay $ too, nope, woudn't take any money from me.

They were super cool! I slept for 8+ hours in my truck (w/keys out of ignition!) Thanks pals, I was one tuckered out dude!
I'm the MAN in a truck, burner who is stuck, you're in luck! I'll whip out my BIG tow chain and not charge you, not even one lousy buck!
moonrise

Postby DB Cooper » Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:13 pm

The LAST thing I want is an unexpeced run in with the law.

I don't speed through any small town, just because it the law (and a likely way to get pulled over), but because people live there, how would you like people treating your street like the autobahn.
Anyone seen my briefcase?
DB Cooper

Postby socks » Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:22 pm

Mode a question for you if you see someone breaking the law at burning man what do you do?
socks

Postby DB Cooper » Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:30 pm

Join em!

well really it depends on WHICH law they are breakin.
Anyone seen my briefcase?
DB Cooper

Postby mode-of-operation » Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:13 am

Socks, that depends on the law that was broken. Just becuase you break the law doesn't mean you'll get arrested. Misdemeanors can be ignored because the law gives an officer discretion. We can decide to arrest you or not. Sometimes a verbal warning or making someone aware that you were in violation works better than being heavy handed. But with that said don't push or try and use the discretion factor against us. We don't like that.

Felonies are a whole different ballgame. We are required to take action on all felonies. So there is no room for negotiating. And really why would you want to comit a felony in the first place. That sticks with you for the rest of your life and can really make your life hell.

If I were on the playa and saw someone screwing up, first I would remind myself of where I am. It's a party and people are going to be stupid. Second, I am seriously out numbered. I know that just because I can take action, I may not want to because the situation may not be safe for myself or other people in the area. Third, talk to the suspect and see where it leads me. Like I said earlier people who are nice and honest, I usually let go. If I have to take action, be nice but be firm. If that don't work....let the situation dictate my actions. I have to protect the innocent people out there as well and if that means getting a little rough with one person then so be it. I'd rather have to deal with one person than have several people affected by the same person. I have had times where I've been so mad at someone and once I showed him how mad I was, his firends handled the moron for me and to the level where he got way worse than what I could have done legally. It's those times when I really like my job.
mode-of-operation

Postby gyre » Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:42 am

I don't have to tell you there are some pretty stupid things that are felonies these days, and it's a growing trend too.
So what about those paper crimes?

Part of your earlier post was a little hard to read, but depending on what happens, some of us are very good with a pen, after a case is over.
The last officer I thought really over stepped, I am still pursuing through
IA two years later.
My goal is to stop their advancement, and render them incapable of being used for testimony, ever.
I'd like to see them in jail, but I'm realistic.
My success rate with complaints is pretty good.

For the most part, I don't have issues, though some have told me I have a bad attitude, which translates as 'innocent' to a bad cop.

I think most people are just nervous and don't know how to behave around police.
Few people mean to be insulting.
gyre

Previous

Return to Transportation