E-Z Roll Regal Trike on playa? Any good?

Bikes, trikes, personal mobility and mutant vehicles - this is the place to discuss general transportation issues. For ride and RV shares, please go to Share Resources.

Postby phil » Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:31 am

¡Niers! wrote:Anybody know what "1 brake horsepower" means?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horsepower#Brake_horsepower
phil

Postby Bob » Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:24 am

Lucidvegas wrote:Bob- do you have experience with a pedal trike? I'm hearing different things, now I'm even more confused. Why do you say scrap it?

Harder to negotiate tight turns in the midst of pedestrian traffic, and soft dusty patches of ground that grab your wheels. Have you ridden the thing? Biking through dust patches is like pedaling uphill. YMMV, maybe you have thighs of steel.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby CapSmashy » Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:26 am

Lucidvegas wrote:Bob- do you have experience with a pedal trike? I'm hearing different things, now I'm even more confused.

Why do you say scrap it?

Don't scrap it.

We've had pedal trikes out for the past 3 years and they are pretty awesome. Thye can kind of suck in the dune areas, but usually are not any worse than a 2 wheeler with the advantage of not falling over.

Trikes also have a very nice feature of having a built in seat where ever you ride to.
CapSmashy

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Terminal City://404 Village Not Found

Postby Bob » Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:40 am

There, fixed it.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:11 pm

The more people with trikes the more possible rides for me there are.

Not that I can help...
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby LittleJack » Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:32 pm

Lucidvegas wrote:Do you think a folding trike would be okay?

Last year I brought a folding trike, a Workman Port-O-Trike. I drive a small car (a civic), so the folding trike was the only way I could get one there - the top of my car held the 10' poles for my monkey hut, and my cargo box for the rest of my shelter stuff (and other camping gear). The trike, folded, fit beautifully on the car-back bike rack.

The good:
Great for hauling ice, and the basket in the back is the perfect size to hold the tupperware tub in which I keep my fire spinning / safety kit. It's also great to have a nice seat wherever you pedal to, especially out in deep playa. Furthermore, it's also fairly easy to spot in the endless rows of dust colored bikes, especially since I put a big flag on it. Finally, as a delivery boy for the Black Rock Beacon, it was the perfect vehicle - the basket held the papers, I could wheel slowly through the city hawking the news, and easily stop for a chat, a treat, or a spanking. :)

The bad:
It's got 20" wheels, which are pretty small. When the playa got somewhat thick with dust, it was impossible to ride - the drive wheel just kept spinning. It's hard to walk next to, like you would a bike, because of the width of the back wheels. In a moment of frustrated inspiration, I ended up taking some of the lovely hemp rope I was gifted and tying it around the handlebars, and dragging it behind me. That's how it got it's nickname, The Mule. Once on harder stuff, though, it wast great. Also, it's not fast, although with determination you can get it going pretty good.

-Little Jack
--------
I like my coffee like I like my women: strong, earthy and full bodied!
LittleJack

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Hushville

Postby Elorrum » Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:10 pm

Sorry Niers, don't have an answer for you.

A big hurray for trikes! I wanted a trike, but was hesitant because of "the old lady with the small dog in the back" picture I had in my mind.
Last year, I finally made one and I LOVE IT! It's easier to ride and stay relaxed, you don't tip over when you go slow to look at things. You don't have to put your feet down when somebody stupid cuts you off. you just stop. and then go again. If you have a basket on the back, you can haul stuff easily. That big seat looks very comfy on your trike lucid. Any bike is nicer on the playa with fatter tires, but my first year I took an english style ladies one speed and got around o.k. With the trike, I never thought first, "will it be a hassle?" I rode it everywhere last year, to the portos even.
Elorrum

Postby Lucidvegas » Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:53 pm

I got a chance to ride it today and boy what a blast! I really want to make a canopy for it! At a festival last year I watched all the little kids with their pimped out wagons and I was so jealous....I'm 31 lol.

So with this trike I can add some cushion to the seat and ad a canopy I can pimp out with lights and stuff!

Thanks so much for all the replies and stuff everyone. I think I'm gonna bring it to at least try it. If nothing else it will become a camp center piece! But I have faith I'll be able to use it!

Going to look into electrifying it!.
Lucidvegas

Postby gyre » Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:58 pm

Test the canopy at freeway speeds.
gyre

Postby Lucidvegas » Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:01 pm

Yea, I'll have a way it can collapse! hehe.

Also, special thanks to ¡Niers!. Appreciate your information!
Lucidvegas

Postby TomServo » Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:06 pm

Elorrum wrote:Sorry Niers, don't have an answer for you.

A big hurray for trikes! I wanted a trike, but was hesitant because of "the old lady with the small dog in the back" picture I had in my mind.
Last year, I finally made one and I LOVE IT! It's easier to ride and stay relaxed, you don't tip over when you go slow to look at things. You don't have to put your feet down when somebody stupid cuts you off. you just stop. and then go again. If you have a basket on the back, you can haul stuff easily. That big seat looks very comfy on your trike lucid. Any bike is nicer on the playa with fatter tires, but my first year I took an english style ladies one speed and got around o.k. With the trike, I never thought first, "will it be a hassle?" I rode it everywhere last year, to the portos even.

Exactly! Bring your trike Lucidvegas!
anything worth doing..is worth overdoing

Vor Gebrauch Sprengkapsel einsetzen
TomServo

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: BloodBath&Beyond

Postby Lucidvegas » Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:14 pm

I'm going to have a friend help me out on the mechanical stuff. He's good at that. I'll be the one doing the logistics of the entire trip :)

He'll probably know the answer, but if anyone can answer this for me awesome. Np if not.

The tires on the bike I have right now. Narrow street tires. Do I need all new wheels, or will a new fat, smooth tire just fit right on those rims?

I always sucked at bike mechanics even though I know it's pretty basic stuff. Ah well.

EDIT- Also. How WOULD you attach that electric bike motor to a trike? I see it has spokes on it......but I'm not sure I understand how it goes on.
Would the motor attach to the LEFT wheel? And the right wheel and chain stays the same?
Lucidvegas

Postby TomServo » Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:22 pm

Lucidvegas wrote:I'm going to have a friend help me out on the mechanical stuff. He's good at that. I'll be the one doing the logistics of the entire trip :)

He'll probably know the answer, but if anyone can answer this for me awesome. Np if not.

The tires on the bike I have right now. Narrow street tires. Do I need all new wheels, or will a new fat, smooth tire just fit right on those rims?

I always sucked at bike mechanics even though I know it's pretty basic stuff. Ah well.

They should fit....but you may only need them for the rear wheels. If you cant find em, dont sweat it. Your trike will work fine on hard playa. If their are mini dunes, youll have the same problem with a 2 wheeler...with less disasterous results.
anything worth doing..is worth overdoing

Vor Gebrauch Sprengkapsel einsetzen
TomServo

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: BloodBath&Beyond

Postby gyre » Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:36 pm

Most use a front motor on trikes.

There are some specialty wide tires for most sizes.
Smoother is better, or reverse pattern.

viewtopic.php?t=26065
gyre

Postby Elliot » Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:39 pm

There is a reason they talk about 1 HP and 750 Watts. It is roughly the same. I have a chart that says 1 HP = 746 Watts.
:D
Elliot's Bicycle Service, Camel Saddlery and Beverage Salon 5 & G as before, probably.
Ali Elliot Fy Fasan, proprietor

Caravansary Black Rock 2014

ImageImageImage
Millicent The Bus; pedal-vehicles on Playa and in Kinetic Sculpture Races.
Elliot

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Elliot’s Bicycle & Beverage Emporium

Postby ¡Niers! » Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:09 pm

Elliot wrote:

There is a reason they talk about 1 HP and 750 Watts. It is roughly the same. I have a chart that says 1 HP = 746 Watts.
:D

That makes alot of sense. I was thinking that 750 watts was at or more than 1 hp, but was too lazy to figure it out.

Lucidvegas wrote:How WOULD you attach that electric bike motor to a trike?

If I was there, looking at your trike.....I could give you an answer. That's why I suggested a smitten young lad with skills.
Work it!
¡Niers!

Postby CapSmashy » Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:49 pm

Lucidvegas wrote:EDIT- Also. How WOULD you attach that electric bike motor to a trike? I see it has spokes on it......but I'm not sure I understand how it goes on.
Would the motor attach to the LEFT wheel? And the right wheel and chain stays the same?

We motorized the wife's trike last year. It was an aftermarket kit from the Electric Bike Factory.

http://www.bikemania.biz/ProductDetails ... iction_Kit

We got it for less than that price through a local bike shop. Very easy installation.

And for the tires, yes, get the widest tires you can for the rims you have.
CapSmashy

Postby Lucidvegas » Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:43 am

Thanks Cap! Mid sharing some details? How Dix it run? Any issues? Charge time out at the playa? Run time? And cost at the bike store?

You like this batteries better than the others.....what lithium?
I noticed the link was the lead/acid kind.

Thanks for the info!
Lucidvegas

Postby ¡Niers! » Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:23 am

I just found what I'ma gonna git!

The Magic Pie.

http://www.goldenmotor.com/

It's glorious!
¡Niers!

Postby Lucidvegas » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:07 am

I was checking that out too. The hub motor right? Kathy that entire kit pretty expensive? 700 800 or so after batteries and controller? I'm so new to this motor stuff I'm a tad overwhelmed.
Lucidvegas

Postby ¡Niers! » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:27 am

Lucidvegas wrote:I was checking that out too. The hub motor right? Kathy that entire kit pretty expensive? 700 800 or so after batteries and controller? I'm so new to this motor stuff I'm a tad overwhelmed.

Who you callin Kathy? :roll:

Yes....the hub motor. Specifically, the one they call MagicPie. It's only $185. You'd still need a rim, tire, spokes, throttle, and batteries. Personally, I wouldn't buy any of those items from the same company. There's cheaper batteries out there. I'd love to have the ones they sell, but for $280 I can find more than 16 amp hours. After reading up on that motor, it seems like a pretty awesome hub motor.
¡Niers!

Postby gyre » Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:03 pm

You have to look at an electric system like buying a car with all the gas for it at once, for the life of a battery pack.

A matched battery pack can costs $400 for a 7ah NIMH matched pack and be worth it.

You have lithium phosphate, often said to last thousands of cycles, and the older lithium ion, for hundreds of cycles, and NIMH and nicad, and then lead acid.
Even the lead acid varies in cost and durability, quite a bit.

The lower weight batteries have a bigger payoff on a bike than they do on a heavier vehicle.
gyre

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:33 pm

I suppose a motorized trike is completely out ofr me.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby gyre » Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:43 pm

There is a lot more on the market used and new on the west coast.

A trike can get away with lead batteries much easier than a bike.
gyre

Postby FIGJAM » Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:30 pm

If you keep an eye out you can find them cheaper.

Mine went for $1900 new, I got it for $325.
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby CapSmashy » Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:13 pm

Lucidvegas wrote:Thanks Cap! Mid sharing some details? How Dix it run? Any issues? Charge time out at the playa? Run time? And cost at the bike store?

You like this batteries better than the others.....what lithium?
I noticed the link was the lead/acid kind.

Thanks for the info!

It ran good. Charge time was an hour or so? We'd fire up the gennie to make coffee in the morning and plug the chargers to top them off.

Lead acids are okay if you keep them tendered and charged. Never had an issue with either her trike or my bike (EZip Trailz) having low battery issues. But, for the longevity factor, I am probably going to switch out both battery packs from lead acid to Lion this year.
CapSmashy

Postby Elorrum » Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:55 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:I suppose a motorized trike is completely out ofr me.

It's the perfect thing for you! I'm guessing you need a regular chair type seat. how about this one with a nice little electric hub motor on the front?
I like looking at atomic zombie for ideas or just day dreaming.

also... I think it wouldn't be hard to put a motor on just about any old trike... a hub motor wheel on the front, or a chain driving motor (I have a cyclone kit on my regular bike, and it would work fine on a trike.) Costs will jump a great deal with the different types of batteries and storage capacity. Lead acid batteries are not a bad option for a trike, since the additional weight of higher capacity batteries would not make the trike any more difficult to ride, as it would a bicycle. Lead acid batteries will be much less expensive too, just need to be charged soon after use.
this is the cyclone type set up, engine mounts under the bike, right behind the pedals. Then add a lawn tractor sort of seat?
Elorrum

Postby gyre » Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:09 pm

Some mobility scooters do well on the playa, in spite of looking unsuitable.
I've seen the same one come back for many years now.
gyre

Postby Elorrum » Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:20 pm

having the wheels spread out farther front to back like in a bike or trike I think helps a lot with smoothing the ride.
Elorrum

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:08 pm

I must really have been thinking of one of the great huge ones, because I envisioned my chair being cargo, so I can get off the damn thing.

What if I had to go to the jots?
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

PreviousNext

Return to Transportation