Bike rentals for long-distance burners

Bikes, trikes, personal mobility and mutant vehicles - this is the place to discuss general transportation issues. For ride and RV shares, please go to Share Resources.

Bike rentals for long-distance burners

Postby phil » Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:57 pm

According to today's JRS:

RAT'S BIKES NOW OPEN FOR BIKE RENTAL RESERVATIONS FOR BM2011

Our friend Rat sez:

"Rat's Bikes for Long-Distance Burners is open for all the "Get It Done Early' Burners, with preference given to Burners crossing an ocean to attend. For more info or reservations, contact: nv_desert_rat at nvbell.net.

Thanks!

Rat"

I've removed the @ sign in the hopes that this foils spammers from dumping loads of email on rat.
phil

Postby junglesmacks » Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:01 pm

FYI, a brand new non beat up and caked with playa dust from last year bike from Walmart is around $60 (vs $40 or so for a beat up rental).. and you can easily donate it afterwords to the Reno Bike Project which is a 501(c)3 charitable organization.. or many other charities.

http://www.renobikeproject.com/index.php/about/

For my money, I'd much rather put it in charity project hands and have a nice working bike that fits me while I'm out there. Just sayin..

PS.. didn't mean to dog your thread, Phil.. just offering additional info on the same subject.
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Camp Name: Your mom's tent

Postby phil » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:26 am

> didn't mean to dog your thread

No problem, the more information the better. Some people may prefer the security of having a bike in advance; some will prefer buying from a charity, then returning the bike.
phil

Postby dubz » Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:15 am

Yes, inexpensive bikes can be had at WalMart, but they are such pieces of crap that they can not even be worth the $60. My lady had one last year, and after a couple hours of riding, was falling apart in many, many ways. If I were to go out without a bike, I would prefer an older bike from one of the bike projects that is more reliable over a WalMart special....
dubz

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Raised by Wolves

Postby dubz » Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:19 am

Yes, inexpensive bikes can be had at WalMart, but they are such pieces of crap that they can not even be worth the $60. My lady had one last year, and after a couple hours of riding, was falling apart in many, many ways. If I were to go out without a bike, I would prefer an older bike from one of the bike projects that is more reliable over a WalMart special....
dubz

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Raised by Wolves

Postby gyre » Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:41 am

Bikes are very sensitive to assembly.
This may be the real issue.
gyre

Return to Transportation