Motorcycle Side-Car disabled mutant

Bikes, trikes, personal mobility and mutant vehicles - this is the place to discuss general transportation issues. For ride and RV shares, please go to Share Resources.

Motorcycle Side-Car disabled mutant

Postby bm_cricket » Sun Dec 12, 2010 12:53 pm

Hello and I missed you all! I haven't been back on here since last year pre-burn. I think I may have convinced my father to pry himself away from racing at Bonneville for a few days and make it to the playa with me. (The deal is that I need to join him for a while on the salt. A fair trade.)

Now I am trying to help him take care of business and get out to the playa. He is disabled with some foot, ankle, serious knee problems and has a hard time getting around. I'm looking into disabled art car stuff and they list motorcycles as a no-go. My dads specialty is motorcycles, race bikes, and land speed motorcycles. I informed him that the DMV people are usually willing to be flexible but the rules are for his safety. He said he would meet them in the middle and make it into a side car. A scooter-turned-WW2 replica maybe. It sounded cool but I can't see anything saying yes or no about side cars. It would be three wheels and pretty low horsepower. The alternative is another-god-damn-golf-cart. That seems to be what the DMV expects disabled people to use to get around. This will be his first burn so I'm trying to make the experience a little less overwhelming. Unfortunately he isn't in good enough health to just show up and pitch a tent. He has everything he would need to be comfortable out there in his already fully stocked trailer, he just needs on-playa transportation.

So, any ideas? A side car would be amazing so I want to get started thinking well before the DMV registration needs to happen. If the side car doesn't work we need to start thinking about alternatives...

PS, Nice to see everyone again and I hope you are staying cozy this December. Snuggle up with your favorite pictures of the playa, beautiful partners from the playa, and maybe bottle of delicious brew. I can't wait to taste my latest brew. It just won't stop fermenting! 9.9% and it's still going! Smells and tastes good for fresh beer too. I think it will take until January before I even bottle it at this rate...
)'(
bm_cricket

Burning Since: 2008

Postby dragonpilot » Sun Dec 12, 2010 1:19 pm

There's lots of motorized vehicles, but they are all mutated to not look like what they are.

Pasting plastic flowers all over a motorcycle does not a mutant vehicle make. Make it into a sperm cell or cupcake, etc and it should pass muster.
Don't bore your friends with all your troubles. Tell your enemies instead, for they will delight in hearing about them.
dragonpilot

Burning Since: 2005

Postby bm_cricket » Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:56 pm

dragonpilot wrote:There's lots of motorized vehicles, but they are all mutated to not look like what they are.

Pasting plastic flowers all over a motorcycle does not a mutant vehicle make. Make it into a sperm cell or cupcake, etc and it should pass muster.

Ah! I think I understand the misunderstanding. When I said "look like a side car" I mean "look like a side car." the way the giant volkswagon bus on the playa in recent years look like a volkswagon. But that is beside the point. We can make it look cool, trust me, I've got the art car genes. ;-)

What I really wonder is about the rules on three wheeled cars. Do you know what the rules are on three wheeled cars?
)'(
bm_cricket

Postby oneeyeddick » Sun Dec 12, 2010 7:42 pm

If he is disabled and has disabled plates for his regular cars, this should be no problem for DMV.
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.
oneeyeddick

Burning Since: 1996

Postby AntiM » Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:06 pm

That is the critical bit of information. Does he have a state issued handicapped placard, or is he one of the unofficial walking wounded?
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby bm_cricket » Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:25 am

AntiM wrote:That is the critical bit of information. Does he have a state issued handicapped placard, or is he one of the unofficial walking wounded?

Yes, he is official with the blue permanent disabled placards and plates.
)'(
bm_cricket

Postby moonrise » Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:47 am

dawg-damned-golf-cart saved my arse and over 100+ others

blue placard = you can drive anything

some peeps are truly in pain; my dawg-damned-golf-cart was kewl lookin'

hope you can do that with yer dawg-damned-motor-sickle-side-car-show

welcome back; some were wondering why you vanished btw

i need my coffee and no handicapped shall be left behind!!!!!!!!
I'm the MAN in a truck, burner who is stuck, you're in luck! I'll whip out my BIG tow chain and not charge you, not even one lousy buck!
moonrise

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:19 am

I would ask the DMV directly. All the rest of this is just going to be eplayans spouting opinions.

However, even with contacting a Hottie, you might find things change between the answer and the whole process' end. And by that I mean "yes" to "no." Hate to by cynical, but I don't think that a "no" would be a "yes."

Possibly POWERCHAIR has more to say.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby phil » Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:41 pm

If the issue is disability, mutant vehicles are not the topic for the DMV. My wife came with a broken leg one year, and we got permission to bring a go-cart for her to ride around in. She was flagged down by the occasional ranger for not being a mutant vehicle, but we had the appropriate sticker for her disability, so they let her go.

I don't discourage you from making the ride as mutant as you want to be, but meeting the mutant requirements will not be necessary if you get a dispensation for disability.

Have fun with it.
phil

Postby moonrise » Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:42 pm

Purple Koosh of DMV Hotties is awesome...she handled my disability paperwork/questionaire/sticker with grace and style.

They were also extremely helpful at the actual BRC DMV, be sure to have head lights and tail lights...night drivin' is key.
I'm the MAN in a truck, burner who is stuck, you're in luck! I'll whip out my BIG tow chain and not charge you, not even one lousy buck!
moonrise

Postby ygmir » Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:44 pm

moonrise wrote:Purple Koosh of DMV Hotties is awesome...she handled my disability paperwork/questionaire/sticker with grace and style.

They were also extremely helpful at the actual BRC DMV, be sure to have head lights and tail lights...night drivin' is key.

agreed:
PK is the best!!!
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby bm_cricket » Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:13 pm

Thank you everyone! That was about my understanding of the issue. If you have the paperwork then it should be fine but I will still make sure my dad meets everyone in the middle and turns his weird contraption into a piece of art. I expect him to get into the spirit once he gets motivated. He is a fabrication artist and engineer by trade and a gear head by lifestyle. Do you know the right way to go about contacting Purple Koosh? I see hints of her around the DMV website but I'm not really sure how to contact her or generally the DMV to ask such a hypothetical question.
)'(
bm_cricket

Postby moonrise » Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:39 am

I would attempt to send Purple Koosh an email

The eplayan regulars might be able to tell you if PK is year round...I would guess yes but I have no clue...
moonrise

Postby gyre » Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:18 am

I think contact is dmv@burningman.com

The intent of the restrictions is safety, but disabilities vary so much that what should matter is your ability to handle the vehicle safely.
One concern is low speed stability of motorcycles.
A three wheeler doesn't have that issue.
Gear for slow.

It should be borne in mind that city driving is among the most difficult anywhere and quite challenging for anyone.
And unlike most places, pedestrians actually have the right of way, and many of them aren't too bright.
5 mph or less is the rule in black rock city.
Congestion often means very slow.

He may find a two wheel electric bike quicker, if he can handle one.
With his driving experience, he should have no problem driving though.
He can expect bombay-like traffic.
The open playa is easier.

Wide angle lighting is called for.

Restrictions beyond legally mandated ones for the handicapped are probably not binding, and beyond the scope of the llc, but the ability to handle a vehicle safely is something that can be addressed.
Many people are not up to driving in the city itself, handicapped or not.

Remember no dust.
Smooth tires are best for that.

Mutant rules are no alcohol use at all if driving.

Bring enough gas.
gyre

Postby gyre » Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:29 am

bm_cricket wrote:
Ah! I think I understand the misunderstanding. When I said "look like a side car" I mean "look like a side car." the way the giant volkswagon bus on the playa in recent years look like a volkswagon. But that is beside the point. We can make it look cool, trust me, I've got the art car genes. ;-)

What I really wonder is about the rules on three wheeled cars. Do you know what the rules are on three wheeled cars?

Three wheels motorized are treated the same as four on the playa, generally.

A golf cart is a good mutant base once the body is removed.
gyre

Postby TomServo » Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:23 am

Last time I issued one, a Disabled sticker doesnt need to be on an "art car", especially, but yeah, check with the DMV first! Their rules come directly from the BLM.
anything worth doing..is worth overdoing

Vor Gebrauch Sprengkapsel einsetzen
TomServo

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: BloodBath&Beyond

Postby gyre » Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:36 am

TomServo wrote:Last time I issued one, a Disabled sticker doesnt need to be on an "art car", especially, but yeah, check with the DMV first! Their rules come directly from the BLM.

True.
Not required.

But he expressed the intent to modify anyway.
Many with placards do, to the best they can.
gyre

Return to Transportation