a mutant question

Bikes, trikes, personal mobility and mutant vehicles - this is the place to discuss general transportation issues. For ride and RV shares, please go to Share Resources.

Postby Elliot » Sun Oct 31, 2010 3:42 pm

:D
That reminds me of the matter of speed. The Lady Sophia has some electrical problems, and she goes forward only at full speed. This proved to be too fast for most situations in BRC. No speedometer, but it was probably something like 10 or maybe even 15 mph. So I was constantly stepping on and off the accelerator to keep the speed down.

I know that Recoil's gasoline engine works entirely differently, but it's something to keep in mind.

If a golf cart is geared to go up to 15 mph on the golf course, it might be a good idea to gear it down to 5 mph, and you would get three times the torque for pulling more passengers and flapping the wings.

Jafe, perhaps there is a way you could downgear yours to avoid that engine overheating?
Elliot's Bicycle Service, Camel Saddlery and Beverage Salon 5 & G as before, probably.
Ali Elliot Fy Fasan, proprietor

Caravansary Black Rock 2014

ImageImageImage
Millicent The Bus; pedal-vehicles on Playa and in Kinetic Sculpture Races.
Elliot

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Elliot’s Bicycle & Beverage Emporium

Postby theCryptofishist » Sun Oct 31, 2010 4:02 pm

Okay, it's official. I'm not tall enough to read this thread.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Recoil » Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:52 pm

ya i was thinking on the speed problem my self but i found that for the gas engines at least you can buy a after market tork spring that will reduce the top end speed and give you some more low end tork but by how much i do not know, not to sure on what to do with electric but if it use's the same drive train as a gas you might have to pull it apart to regrease it so that it engages properly, never seen under the hood of a electric tho so i'm not sure on that BUT i have a great forum that has been fantastic with info for carts and the people really know there stuff

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/

if the spring dosent ''gear'' it down enough speed wise im not sure what else i could do to bring it down to the right speed

i will defently be putting in a fan to blow on the engine wired to the power system so it will only blow when running, the more and more i dig into this project the more i think i am going to HAVE to get a geny to do it the right way with the least problems
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, "Damn...that was fun!"
Recoil

Postby Elliot » Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:27 pm

Thanks for posting that link! I would never have dreamed there were people who play with golf carts. That is, people who consider a golf cart an end in itself. :lol:
Elliot's Bicycle Service, Camel Saddlery and Beverage Salon 5 & G as before, probably.

ImageImageImage
Elliot

Postby dragonfly Jafe » Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:06 am

yes, I second the thanks for the link...

Elliot, I am considering changing the gearing somewhere...about 1/2 speed (and double the torque) sounds good. I think another issue was the engine not getting enough air. Originally I had a "snorkle" that was a 4" dryer hose attached via a 1" elbow (original air manifold had 1" hole). The idea was to draw "clean" air from ~7' up, thus limiting the dust the air filter had to catch. Although this seemed to work OK at home, it did not work on the Playa, the engine being "gutless" and overheating quickly. I removed the link (returning the system to the original) but still had issues with the air filter dusting up quickly. I ended up cleaning the air filter at every stop, and had to clean it every ~30 minutes of operation or the engine would over heat & stall. Once the engine was smoking, it was so hot (had the extinguisher out for that one!) - this was after driving back from the trash fence thru the deep stuff for 15 minutes or so of "pedal-to-the-metal" driving barely moving with 3 passengers, since if I had stopped or slowed we would have been stuck.

If I keep the golf cart, in addition to the gearing, I will be stripping it down to the frame and removing every ounce of weight, make light weight seats, etc. and have an improved air system that delivers clean, cool, air in large amounts to the engine. An engine oil thermometer might not be a bad idea either....
Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer
dragonfly Jafe

Postby Elliot » Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:59 am

Weight (mass) is indeed the Great Enemy. Some of us know that from our construction and use of human-powered vehicles.

As for air, I was actually thinking of cooling air, not combustion air. If you lose power when your gasoline engine gets very hot, it may be on the verge of seizing. Or the piston rings may be softening, which would be permanent. Ages ago when I was an automobile mechanic, a car was towed into the shop with a burst radiator hose. The owner had kept driving until it would go no further. It would crank, but not fire. When we disassembled the engine, we found that the piston rings, which are normally very hard and stiff, were now so pliable that we could twist them like paper clips. The rings had been so hot that they had lost their original heat-tempering. I'm thinking that this might happen to an engine in Playa service.

ImageImageImage
Elliot

Postby Recoil » Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:19 pm

part of the issue as i understand is that there made to run at full speed for the air cooling so even if you get it tuned down gear wise you are still having to deal with getting the air flow it needs to function. Hopfully putting a fan on the engine is enough to keep it cool
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, "Damn...that was fun!"
Recoil

Postby Recoil » Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:40 pm

thought i would give a update

after some brain storming with a few friends and trying over and over to solve some issues i decided to change the cosept to something much more do able and fun

chickzilla!

i can use the window moter idea on the head to give it a very jerky feel like a real rooster, the wings will flap with the use of cable and a counter weight spring but since they wont be up at all times the risk of getting damaged in a dust storm is much lower then in the dragon

would like to have a fire poofer in his beak but with the idea to make the head move im not to sure on how well that will work out till i talk it over with a buddy of mine who has some experience with propain effects

the deck will be up about 5ish feet (depends on the proportion of course) so it will be like we will be riding it

the tail that is drawn there was just a place holder, i have a very sweet idea for a tail that i think will work out great hehe
Recoil

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:33 am

You better find out if Big Cock has that playa patented...
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Recoil » Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:00 pm

found another great website, isent a whole lot of info or helpful people but it dose have exploded veiws of all parts on a gold cart of your picking and you can even order the replacement parts

http://www.tntgolfcar.com

with out this site i would have never known i was missing two major pieces in my air box

enjoy!
Recoil

Postby plumblove » Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:19 pm

Here's my experience. For two years our group brought a Yamaha G2 (I think) gas powered golf based mutant vehicle. We left the structure of the golf cart original because it was borrowed. The mutated part was a steel frame that went over the cart that increased the seating from 2 to 6. To support the extra weight we added a fifth wheel in the back. The frame and full camouflage probably added an extra 450-550 lbs. We did nothing to increase airflow, ventilation or change the gearing. We had very good luck and the cart was very reliable. We used it every day and night. The motor never struggled with the extra weight even in the deeper stuff. And it didn't show any signs of over heating.
plumblove

Postby Recoil » Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:54 am

got the cart running great and am in full build mode now, turned the gov turned all the way down but it still feels to fast heh
Recoil

Postby Recoil » Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:58 am

all most current pic for those who care hehe

Recoil

Postby TomServo » Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:16 pm

another thought... maybe add 2 sets of training wheels to the base? as a base vehicle, it looks pretty top heavy. But then its a golf cart...maybe one set, to prevent damage to the body?
anything worth doing..is worth overdoing

Vor Gebrauch Sprengkapsel einsetzen
TomServo

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: BloodBath&Beyond

Postby Recoil » Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:03 pm

ya ill probably add something just in front of the back wheels as tip stoppers and i can make them look like chicken feet lol
Recoil

Previous

Return to Transportation