a mutant question

Bikes, trikes, personal mobility and mutant vehicles - this is the place to discuss general transportation issues. For ride and RV shares, please go to the year-specific Share Resources board.

a mutant question

Postby Recoil » Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:55 pm

So last year i spent a lot of time helping a friend build a three wheeled trike from scratch and had a blast doing it and have been playing around with the idea of building a MV of my own for the past year or so. After all the time welding and fabricating i feel confertable that i can mutate something to my liking and found a great deal on a gas powered golf cart that i took the plung on.

My current idea is to cut the front off just in front of the gas pedal to strech out the wheel base enough to have a place to build on to. I would like to add two more seats behind the current ones so i could carry 4 people max but that kinda depends on how well the rear axel will hold up. All and all it will end up being a ''rickshaw being pulled by a dragon'' the dragon it self will be as detailed as i can possibly make it and i want to have the wings spred out like in mid flight but on cables so i can bring them in for driving threw the streets with out trouble.

After reading a ton from not just these forums but all so from talking to friends the word is the DMV is looking for the smaller MV's to be interactive in some way to be approved to drive. I am not to sure on idea's to make it interactive, i had thought of using window moters to make the arms, head and neck move but after looking into it the moters wouldent last long and the power source is beyond what i can muster with how the drive train works

My question is can anyone think of something that would give me a ''edge' per say to be sure my MV fits the bill to be registered with out hassle? or would my basic idea be just fine if implemented right.
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, "Damn...that was fun!"
Recoil

Postby gyre » Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:37 am

Doing a good job on the concept and execution is enough.
It must meet the MV requirements.

You can send in the idea for review before you go on the wrong track.

Are you going to remove the body?
I don't know what the axles will support, but someone will.
They are built for golfers and clubs, so that much weight for certain.
gyre

Postby Recoil » Thu Oct 28, 2010 3:59 am

The body will be removed front and back. When I'm done the only thing that would give away that it was a golf cart will probly be the wheels
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, "Damn...that was fun!"
Recoil

Postby dragonfly Jafe » Thu Oct 28, 2010 4:58 am

gas golf carts cannot carry much extra weight for long, especially in the deeper dune areas. I added 2 seats to my 1985 EZ-GO, 2 deep cycle batteries with a large solar cell, and various other light weight decorations (but it all adds up quick!). Fully loaded, I could go for maybe 30 minutes before the engine stopped and I had to let it cool off before it would start again. removing the body will help (I left most of it on, since it matched my art design). If you can, weigh what you remove, then assume 2x 250 lb golfers with 2x 75lb golf bags (650 lbs plus what you remove). If you stay within that, you should be OK. 4x "burners" at ~150 lbs leaves you with 50 lb plus what you remove for added decorations...

bring extra air filters and clean them regularly....and an extra gas filter
Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer
dragonfly Jafe

Postby Killbuck » Thu Oct 28, 2010 5:39 am

Jafe Comrade!!!!

Good to see you.

My MV is an electric. I have been going back and forth about future rigs gas vs electric, but for the immediate future I'll keep with the electric.

It's a 1966 Cushman that came out of a dump. It was put in the chop shop and lengthened, then a new basic adaptable steel frame added. It was boosted from 24 to 36 v.

It's had three different body designs since 2007.

The electric does require a charger and a genny on playa. That's a bit more rigamaroll, but I do like the quietness of the drive.

The first year it was a bit o a dog- it lost power too fast and as the battery went limp it took long and longer to charge and the range was not good.

Later we changed the resister coil speed control to an electronic one and put a micro switch in the accel pedal. Wa la- more than doubled the range!

This past year I remodeled it with a much lighter body and with batteries that spent the summer slowly sipping juice, I increased the range even more. The rejuvenated batteries charged up on playa really fast (honda EU 2000 and a 36 volt charger) and we ran around all night most every night all over BRC with ease.

The rig has a two seater bench and a two seater jump seat above the battery deck- so it has a 4 seat capacity. It's important that the MV be seen and used as a public conveyance, so access to passenger seats while cruising BRC is an important consideration.

I'm still debating the gas vs electric thing... but at this point after recent years, I have kinda worked the bugs out and am very happy with the status quo.

Here is the web page detailing the modification process this year.
http://www.apokiliptika.com/Roamin_off_mv_2010_page.htm

SIDESHOW: Carnival of Smoke and Mirrors 2015 is looking for drop-in performers!! Do you have a freaky talent, skill or characteristic? Do you lay on a bed of nails, or swallow swords? PM me if interested.
Killbuck

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: Sideshow

Postby Recoil » Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:42 am

I thought the MV registration wasn't till feb? am i still able to send in my thoughts early to see if it will be accepted?

I would really like to have 4 people on it to give ride's to those who need/want it. Even went so far as to have 4 friends jump on the cart the otherday to test the engine to see if it would handle it and it drove just like it did with just me(plus me is 5 total weight was in the 1050 range) Ive read a few places of people being able to tow 1500 pounds with the type of cart i have but towing is a little different then the wight being right on the back axel.

mine is a G2 Yamaha

filters and belts are defently on my list of things to bring extra's of plus a tire or two

I saw the roamin-off before and i have to say very nice work, it looks much better in person then in the pics. I hope my MV comes out just as good lol

Ive read a lot of horror storys about electric moters having to be replaced every other year that steered me away from going that direction plus i figor if im going to bring cans of gas to charge the thing i might as well just skip the geny all together witch is why i went for the normal engine rout my self.

Thank you guys for the info by the way!
Recoil

Postby Killbuck » Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:18 am

Thanks and good luck with your project-- MVs become habit forming.
SIDESHOW: Carnival of Smoke and Mirrors 2015 is looking for drop-in performers!! Do you have a freaky talent, skill or characteristic? Do you lay on a bed of nails, or swallow swords? PM me if interested.
Killbuck

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: Sideshow

Postby TomServo » Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:56 am

My old camps art car was based on an electric golf cart. A couple times, we had to push it back. I know nothing of motors, weight ratios and all that, but if you can post a pic, I can at least give you an idea of what the DMV will think. Its been a couple years, but I still remember the hottie standards.
anything worth doing is worth overdoing..
TomServo

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: BloodBath&Beyond

Postby Dr Helix » Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:09 am

Several threads on this very topic. The most recent I posted below:

viewtopic.php?t=37958&highlight=

You can do a lot with a golf cart including lift kits and high profile tires. Lot of stuff out there. I added an extra floating rear axel to mine and can carry 6 people easliy. And IMHO gas is the correct call. You're going to burn fuel one way or another unles you're on the grid, and even then you have to wait for it to charge. And light it up radically or no night license
"Love, Rockets and write when you get work"
Dr Helix

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Interaction Cafe

Postby Recoil » Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:13 pm

i like the idea of the floating axel but how would the thing turn like that or even drive if a lot of the weight isent on the drive wheels?

my MS paint skills are very good but just to give you the idea of what i had in mind i made a side and top veiw

the first one was when i was thinking about using a front fork and tire from a motercycle but desided to just extend the current front wheels as it will give me more stabitly to be holding the dragon and wings plus it will allow me to build the body closer to the ground but you get the idea

Recoil

Postby Dr Helix » Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:36 pm

Ambitious.....especially when you talk of running the steering all the way out. That's a lot of work. What you might consider instead is leaving that intact and running a mono wheel out front on a pivoting caster (front fork of a bike would work). Allows you stretch out but keeps the front steering intact. Remember this will be operating in the playa sand so there's give there. That's why my second rear axel isn't an issue; the sand gives so it doesn't dig, although I've had it on pavement and it doesn't seem to grab. Like your concept though. Saw some dragons last year in somewhat the same vein and they were a huge hit. The operators could animate the heads and they had flame effects. Very cool.
Dr Helix

Postby Recoil » Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:07 pm

running the steering all the way out isent a huge deal as ive all ready thought out of a way to do it proper.

Keeping the current wheel base would make things much easyer but it would still be a golf cart and im trying to get away from the ''look'' of someone who just took a golf cart frame and just welded shit to the body and going for more of a mutated look of something you might not think used to be a golf cart

if that makes sense lol

not to say i don't like those MV's, like the roamin-off when done right they can look quite good but for me personal i wanted to try and ovoid that aspect

ive all ways loved dragons since i was a kid so this project makes me happy to think about finally building one

do you happen to have a pic of your rear axel? i am kinda curios how that would look and work
Recoil

Postby Dr Helix » Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:57 pm

I would but I can't figure out how to put pictures on this response.
Dr Helix

Postby Recoil » Fri Oct 29, 2010 2:09 pm

If the pic is on your computer I normal use tinypic.com
It's a really easy to use host site
Recoil

Postby TomServo » Fri Oct 29, 2010 2:14 pm

Based on the pics, DMV should have no problem with it. Its radically modified, and I couldn't tell that it was ever a golf cart. After solving your weight/power issue, id focus then, on safety and lighting....
TomServo

Postby Dr Helix » Fri Oct 29, 2010 4:06 pm

I'm on flickr with some of these, but I tried loading and nothing comes up. I'm not that good at this, just an old hack welder.
Dr Helix

Postby Elliot » Fri Oct 29, 2010 4:25 pm

:D
Hey, I just have to jump in here to be part of the fun!

My MV is the Lady Sophia, which was GIFTED! to me by the good folks at Deviant Playground!

She is an electric cart, but I was able to get around quite a bit -- including towing a full size upright piano on its own dolly. Granted I do worry about range, so I'm making a spot to carry a Honda generator along with the cart's charger. I guess that will make it a "hybrid" drivetrain, like a Prius!

I am also interested in weight-carrying capacity, because I plan to stretch the frame and install a baby grand piano. So I will be paying attention to the information youse guys come up with.

And I'm interested in the type of electronic controller The Kernul put on his cart, since mine has the old solenoids, and half of them do not work.

Granted, a gasoline engine cart is preferable. But now Jafe reports overheating of his.... So... How about a big electric fan? Or upgrade to a motorcycle engine?

Luckily, it is only October.

(As for posting pictures, I use Photobucket. Even I was able to figure it out, and I'm an idiot with computers. And it is free. Once the picture is on Photobucket, use the bottom of the four links provided. )
Elliot's Naked Bicycle Service & Piano Bar - on 4:30 Plaza

--------Bike come unglued? Take it to the nude dude!--------

Camp website:
http://www.elliotsbikes.org

Elliot

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Elliot’s Bicycle Service

Postby Recoil » Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:05 pm

TomServo wrote:Based on the pics, DMV should have no problem with it. Its radically modified, and I couldn't tell that it was ever a golf cart. After solving your weight/power issue, id focus then, on safety and lighting....

lighting im planing on a mix of these LED strips that my friend used on the trike project that worked great, they can run on there own small battery for all most a full two nights with 7 1 and half foot strips before a recharge and are rather bright along with some EL wire in strategic spots

I would much rather use rope light but in the end buying a new geny just to run lights seems a bit much price and noise wise and the way the gas moter works running them off its own battery would end up killing it if i was sitting in one place since the engine dosent idle

the trike i help build at its first burn this year, it gets the final touches to make it what it was meant to be in the original design ...a chariot for 2011!

go go dolomite!

and very nice cart elliot, during my searchs for other carts for idea's i came across a few on youtube of that cart being built, thing sure took a beating out on the playa it looks like tho haha
Recoil

Postby TomServo » Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:49 am

Recoil wrote:
TomServo wrote:Based on the pics, DMV should have no problem with it. Its radically modified, and I couldn't tell that it was ever a golf cart. After solving your weight/power issue, id focus then, on safety and lighting....

lighting im planing on a mix of these LED strips that my friend used on the trike project that worked great, they can run on there own small battery for all most a full two nights with 7 1 and half foot strips before a recharge and are rather bright along with some EL wire in strategic spots

I would much rather use rope light but in the end buying a new geny just to run lights seems a bit much price and noise wise and the way the gas moter works running them off its own battery would end up killing it if i was sitting in one place since the engine dosent idle

the trike i help build at its first burn this year, it gets the final touches to make it what it was meant to be in the original design ...a chariot for 2011!

go go dolomite!

and very nice cart elliot, during my searchs for other carts for idea's i came across a few on youtube of that cart being built, thing sure took a beating out on the playa it looks like tho haha

You'll be fine! If you have a trailer, make sure to light up the hitch! When displaying your MV to the hotties, point out safety features! They get a hard on for those things. Don't look!....just trust me! They do...
TomServo

Postby Elliot » Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:31 pm

Yes, the Deviant Playground folks apparently got a lot of good use out of the Lady Sophia, which is how things are supposed to be. Now she is rather weathered, and I had to clamp a battery terminal with Vice Grips just to make her go. But what a fabulous gift! Now I want to rebuild her a bit differently -- keeping the basic steampunk style, while adding the baby grand piano.

One option is to put the piano on a trailer. I do understand that the DMV is leery of trailers, but I am confident I can do it safely. I believe the key is to make sure people cannot get into the "pinch point" between the two units. And the trailer must not be wider than the main vehicle, so I would have to widen the body of the cart. That's my thinking, anyway.

Now... back to the original poster's questions, about animating dragon wings and such with electric motors. I have not done this at Burning Man, but I have built Halloween and Christmas displays with automobile window-motors and windshield-wiper-motors. Ought to work for light-weight gadgets on an MV. You might want to bring spares, and make sure they can be easily replaced, in case they burn out. I would go to a pick-n-pull type of salvage yard and see what kind of cars they have a lot of, so you can pull several identical motors.

Camp website:

Elliot

Postby Recoil » Sat Oct 30, 2010 3:39 pm

how easy are they to wire?

i took a look at a few wiring diagrams and it looked like they needed to run threw resisters or some thing to function

they would defently be geared down if i was to use them on the arms with some levrege
Recoil

Postby Elliot » Sat Oct 30, 2010 5:30 pm

It's been some years, so I don't remember details. But the window regulator was easy. Just the two wires of 12 volt DC. (In fact I still have it here -- yep, just two wires.) Run the power one direction and the motor runs that way. Reverse the power and it runs the other way. I operated it manually with... I think a double-pole-double-throw (?) toggle switch from Radio Shack, since I only needed occasional movement. I used it to aim a toy cannon in a Halloween display.

To run it continually up and down like the wings of a flying dragon, you would have to invent an automated switching mechanism. I would probably simply use my old double-double toggle switch, and attach a string to it (thin steel cable) and to the moving arm, so that the arm itself would yank the switch from "down" to "up" and vice verse. You might need a coil spring in the cable to allow for excess movement. Thru the movement the string would simply go slack, and your only concern would be to keep it from catching on anything.

Of course, this was before windows that would go all the way down at one touch of the button. But if you ask me to guess, I would guess the actual motors work the same.

An other thing.... There are different designs of window regulators. Some use a stiff cable that pushes the window up and down. I'm talking about the kind with a sturdy steel arm. I seem to remember this one is from a Chrysler, like a "K-car". I remember having to drill out rivets to remove it, so you might want to look for some that are bolted in.

The windshield wiper motors have more wires, for different speeds. And they park by themselves. But I ran those continuously, so all it took was to find the two connections that gave a suitable speed. The resistors were inside the unit. These were from Audi cars -- they just happened to be readily available at Pick-n-pull that day.

Now... for your dragon wings, I would go straight for the window regulators. Quite a bit of force with a foot-long arm. The windshield wiper motors have just a tiny crank with less force.

I'm not saying window regulators will do the job for you, but there were no clever resistors involved. Just straight-forward switching of 12 volt DC.

Camp website:

Elliot

Postby Recoil » Sat Oct 30, 2010 8:42 pm

Very good info thank you elliot

gonna make a trip to pick and pull this sunday for some parts for a friends car anyway so ill take a look around to see what i can find mwhahahaha
Recoil

Postby mdmf007 » Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:21 pm

Recoil wrote:Very good info thank you elliot

gonna make a trip to pick and pull this sunday for some parts for a friends car anyway so ill take a look around to see what i can find mwhahahaha

Changing directions back and forth for an effect is not the best motion for reliability.

find a rotary motor and rig it up like an old fashioned windshield wiper. the motor spins and however far out you hook your arm is the amount of motion - the RPM's would be the flaps per minute. Some wiper motors are pretty small and stronger than a window motor.
mdmf007

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: ESD

Postby Elliot » Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:03 am

Thanks mdmf007, now that you mention it, I agree that the sudden change of reversing a motor is not the best idea in the world. The wing motion may appear unnatural, and the sudden change of direction may cause the wing to break.

The rotating motion of a crank, such as on a wiper motor, is much smoother. This will let the wing slow down gradually before starting gradually in the other direction.

I used my Audi wiper motors for a very light load, but perhaps those things are stronger than they look? Windshield wipers are certainly designed to be pretty close to unstoppable -- it's a vital traffic safety item.

So now I'm inclined to reverse my advice -- Recoil might want to look for large wiper motors, like off a truck.

And now I'm also thinking that the wings would not need to move very fast. Seems to me, the speed of a door window or a windshield wiper is far faster than needed. So as you mentioned earlier, Recoil, gearing this mechanism down sounds good to me. My first thought on that subject is bicycle chains and sprockets.

Oh.... Looking back in the thread, I see you suggested tall fake wheels on your drawing. Those look at lot like the fake wheels on Lady Sophia. (Photo above.) Those worked fine. That axle was attached quite simply with hinges, so the wheels could move up and down with the movement of the cart's suspension. They had no weight on them other than the weight of the wheels themselves. The only problem was that they made a hecka lot of rattling noise!
In the photo the fake front wheels are above the ground, but they touched down enough to roll most of the time. A minor adjustment would have fixed them completely.

Camp website:

Elliot

Postby ygmir » Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:06 am

seems any motor would work, as long as you make an eccentric wheel and arm.
you could adjust travel, speed, and load, then, with varying attachment points.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby Recoil » Sun Oct 31, 2010 12:25 pm

little confused, dont windshield moters move back and forth?

yea ill probly tack weld some sprockets of the right size to the moters and use bike chain to a larger gear/wheel to get the action i want i am just a little worried that a continuous use of a window moter will kill it in a few hours under the playa conditions as window moters are prity well known to die and need to be replaced under normal use lol
Recoil

Postby Elliot » Sun Oct 31, 2010 12:25 pm

Right. A starter motor, for example. That probably draws too much power, but the point is to think "outside the usual envelope".

Now, if you are going to carry a 110 Volt AC generator, to keep lights and animation going when the golf cart engine is off, you could use a swamp cooler motor. These are readily available in hardware stores. Common sizes are 1/4 and 1/3 Horsepower. A 1000 Watt generator like a Honda EU1000 is good for around 1 HP, so this should work fine. (1 HP = 746 Watts, last time we discussed this around here.)

I once used a swamp cooler motor to drive a Ferris Wheel as a Christmas decoration in my front yard. The Ferris Wheel was 12 feet in diameter, made of sprinkler pipe, and carried teddy bears for "passengers". I had to gear the speed way down of course, and I did that with several stages of V belts.

Camp website:

Elliot

Postby Elliot » Sun Oct 31, 2010 12:39 pm

little confused, dont windshield moters move back and forth?

No, windshield wiper motors run continuously in one direction. The back-and-forth movement of the wiper blade comes from a crank and connecting rod. It works just like your leg on a bicycle pedal -- but in reverse. Your knee moves up and down, but the crank rotates steadily in one direction.

If you buy windshield wiper motors, make sure you get the connecting rods also. You can attach anything you want at the far end of the rod, but you need the ball joint on the crank end of it.

Camp website:

Elliot

Postby penguin » Sun Oct 31, 2010 2:36 pm

If you don't mind only having the movement effects while the vehicle is in motion you can avoid all of the extra motors and how to power them by just belt driving all of the effects. If the cart has a rotating axle you could just stick a pulley on that axle, else just drop another wheel on the ground somewhere and power off of that.

Like I said the only problem that way is when you're static you get no motion from the effects, but the faster you move the faster the effects.
http://www.playafire.com <- my BM resource links - got any I can add?
penguin

Burning Since: 2009

Next

Return to Transportation