Truck rental woes, no penske now what?

Bikes, trikes, personal mobility and mutant vehicles - this is the place to discuss general transportation issues. For ride and RV shares, please go to Share Resources.

Truck rental woes, no penske now what?

Postby Mothism » Mon Aug 02, 2010 5:59 pm

Hi ! :)

I am trying not to freak out, i finally after much time and consideration decided to rent a penske 16ft box truck and a minivan to get 5-8 people plus bike & stuff from los angeles out to the playa, it was going to be perfect , just the right amount of space and at the high end of our budget but not over it......now penske just called to tell me that they are doing no week long rentals during the week of burning man company wide. I really liked them because they offered unlimited mileage (one way at least, i was going to rent a truck to reno and then swap out the stuff bring the new truck to the burn and drive it back to LA all irrelevant now) ANyway i am just looking for some advice anyone know of any deals or ideas of how to get so many people and so much stuff so far to the playa?!? :( i was getting REALLY excited it was coming up so fast now i am a little concerned but still thrilled. Why penske why i have rented from you for the burn before why this year did you figure us out? :) Hoping someone can help......... i am off to google for now, will let you all know if i find a gem of a deal that y'all could hope on too any help tho would be ammaazinggg........

*LEe & Mark*
Mothism

Postby junglesmacks » Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:05 pm

I had the same reservation with Penske before I found out about the anti-burner stance. I asked around, and went with Budget. The rental guy knew what was up before I could even deny anything, and was totally cool.. even told me to send anyone else there that needed help. Booked a corporate rate for $22/day and $0.16/mile. Google Budget coupon codes, or search my posts.. I listed the coupon code. All systems go at this point :)
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby Token » Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:19 pm

Avon truck rental is burner friendly. Google them. Lots of LA based camps use them.
Token

Burning Since: 2001

Postby Elderberry » Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:31 pm

I still haven't gotten my call. You guys are scaring me now. I think I'm going to call them tomorrow and reconfirm our reservation.

JK
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
Elderberry

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby Elderberry » Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:40 pm

Token wrote:Avon truck rental is burner friendly. Google them. Lots of LA based camps use them.

So when you say "burner friendly" you don't have to worry about mentioning burning man when making the reservation?

JK
JK
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
Elderberry

Postby Token » Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:47 pm

Yep. All the cool kids at the brewery have used them in the past.
Token

Burning Since: 2001

Postby Elderberry » Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:49 pm

Token wrote:Yep. All the cool kids at the brewery have used them in the past.

Good to know. Thanks.

JK
JK
Elderberry

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:37 am

jkisha wrote:
Token wrote:Yep. All the cool kids at the brewery have used them in the past.

Good to know. Thanks.

I wish I were a cool kid at a brewery.

Although I'd trade that for being the Guiness delivery guy in a boat in Venice in an instant!
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Return to Transportation