Preburn auto care, any advice?

Bikes, trikes, personal mobility and mutant vehicles - this is the place to discuss general transportation issues. For ride and RV shares, please go to the year-specific Share Resources board.

Preburn auto care, any advice?

Postby geospyder » Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:12 pm

I was thinking of protecting the vehicle with a good paste wax. Driving by a car wash today I got to thinking - why take the time, especially in this heat, if I can take their $10 "super" wash. I presume that the $10 "super" wash, which includes a foam wax, is definitely not good for long term protection, but it might be good for the short term while the vehicle is sitting in camp. The vehicle is a 2007 so in theory the finish is fairly decent quality wise.

Would the foam wax applied by the drive through car wash be enough protection for the short time on the Playa? Any opinions one way or the other?
You know it's going to be a bad day when you jump out of bed and miss the floor.
geospyder

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Somewhere in Hushville

Postby Token » Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:21 pm

Why worry? Go to a proper car wash, bring your wax of choice and have em do the work.

Me, I consider the shiny stuff on the outside of my truck a "remove with use" item.
Token

Burning Since: 2001

Postby sportsmobile » Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:22 pm

that spray on wax won't last 2 days on your car. if you are concerned about your vehicles exterior i would recommend a good paste wax. like a carnuba wax of some sort.

and then while at the burn be very careful not to lean up against your car to prevent rubbing the dust against the paint.

do not use a car cover while on the playa.

personally, since the clear coat is pealing off my 88 yota i don't worry about it much
I hope we shall crush in its birth the aristocracy of our monied corporations which dare already to challenge our government to a trial by strength, and bid defiance to the laws of our country. - Thomas Jefferson
sportsmobile

Re: Preburn auto care, any advice?

Postby LostinReno » Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:25 pm

geospyder wrote:I was thinking of protecting the vehicle with a good paste wax. Driving by a car wash today I got to thinking - why take the time, especially in this heat, if I can take their $10 "super" wash. I presume that the $10 "super" wash, which includes a foam wax, is definitely not good for long term protection, but it might be good for the short term while the vehicle is sitting in camp. The vehicle is a 2007 so in theory the finish is fairly decent quality wise.

Would the foam wax applied by the drive through car wash be enough protection for the short time on the Playa? Any opinions one way or the other?

It's a Jeep dude....really? :? :lol:
**edited to give him crap for being such a worry wart
LostinReno

Postby geospyder » Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:37 pm

You know it's going to be a bad day when you jump out of bed and miss the floor.
geospyder

Postby Jackass » Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:45 pm

A good paste wax will be about the only thing that'll help, that "foam wax" they put on at the car wash makes it look shiny but offers little if any protection even off playa. They just tell you it's wax so you feel like you've done the right thing... it's crap!
Jackass

Postby ygmir » Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:51 pm

on word.......
cosmoline.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby geospyder » Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:56 pm

Cosmoline and Playa dust deadly mixture
geospyder

Postby ygmir » Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:58 pm

No way. It'll create a protective coating, that, will withstand a nuke......
no worries, under it, the paint will be shiney and last forever.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby geospyder » Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:03 pm

Key words - "under it"
geospyder

Postby sportsmobile » Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:25 pm

[quote="ygmir"]on word.......
cosmoline.[/quote]

of course!! cosmoline is the answer.
I hope we shall crush in its birth the aristocracy of our monied corporations which dare already to challenge our government to a trial by strength, and bid defiance to the laws of our country. - Thomas Jefferson
sportsmobile

Return to Transportation