afterburn auto care any advice? not just wash the car...

Bikes, trikes, personal mobility and mutant vehicles - this is the place to discuss general transportation issues. For ride and RV shares, please go to the year-specific Share Resources board.

afterburn auto care any advice? not just wash the car...

Postby moonrise » Sat Jul 24, 2010 7:33 pm

sooo, other than a good car wash, (do the Reno car wahses take us?) I'm wondering what sorta care my truck ought to get? A Reno local told me he thinks, brakes, bearings and such get dust in them and well...the conversation drifted off into another direction after that.

I know it's drive and park at a camp spot (5mph) I won't be attemping to break speed records buuuut...hmmm...I like my vehicles to last as long as possible.

Anyone have any advice? I have been told tap the dust out of your air filter but I'm wondering, is there more I can do?

And perhaps the Reno-ite is thinking of the off season, when they do allow people to drive like mad out there, I think they do, but I'm not sure.

Chevy Tahoe, 1999....4x4....
I'm the MAN in a truck, burner who is stuck, you're in luck! I'll whip out my BIG tow chain and not charge you, not even one lousy buck!
moonrise

Postby Token » Sat Jul 24, 2010 7:51 pm

Wash it.
Change oil and air filter.
Change the cabin air filter (under the glovebox)
Token

Burning Since: 2001

Postby moonrise » Sat Jul 24, 2010 8:11 pm

Thanks Token

I think the Reno local thinks of people driving very fast, during non burningman times...that could maybe screw things up

I wouldn t have thought of my casbin air filter. hmm...used to driving pavement and snow...lmao...

(the front brake pads and bearings need a re-do, i was thinkin' i'd hold off but, eh best do 'em now)
I'm the MAN in a truck, burner who is stuck, you're in luck! I'll whip out my BIG tow chain and not charge you, not even one lousy buck!
moonrise

Postby journey » Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:06 pm

It has been suggested to me to take an extra air filter and swap it out as soon as you drive off the playa, before the long drive back into the real world. This will be my first year driving my own vehicle to the burn and that is what I will be doing.
When you look out of your window, you do not see the world as it is, you see it as you are.
journey

Postby geekster » Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:15 pm

"It has been suggested to me to take an extra air filter and swap it out as soon as you drive off the playa"

Most people drive in Gate Road, find their camp, park their car, and it stays there for the rest of the event and doesn't run. Your air filter should be fine unless you are actually driving the vehicle during the entire event, then yeah, replace it.

So we have a big dust storm. If the vehicle isn't running, then there is no problem. No dust, or very little, is getting into the air filter.

Of course the correct answer to the original question is "obsess".

Do you think the people who live in Gerlach and Empire change their air filters every day? Sure, they change them more often than someone in SF does but come on. You are going to make one ride in, one ride out, that's it. If the car is not running, it is not sucking dust in.
Pabst Blue Ribbon - The beer that made Gerlach famous.
geekster

Postby moonrise » Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:57 pm

I Got pals from Gerlach/Empire
I Might have a disability placard, I might not bother but I shoulda mentioned I might get that. yup, pre-registered.
DMV Hotties have been very helpful! Gracias!
EVERYONE on eplaya has been VERY helpful, GRACIAS gang!
I have a tricky low back, due to damage from a botched surgery 10 years ago
I'd raher have an art car, but not this time aound.
Got any good ideas for decorating a YUKON????
I'll leave my leaf blower at home,. ha ha
I like to use my beloved leaf blower to blow out the SUV, vacuums suck!
Sorry, I'm tired......Gracias!
moonrise

Postby journey » Tue Jul 27, 2010 5:25 pm

"Most people drive in Gate Road, find their camp, park their car, and it stays there for the rest of the event and doesn't run. Your air filter should be fine unless you are actually driving the vehicle during the entire event, then yeah, replace it. "

That all sounds fine if you can actually just drive in and drive out. The reality may be hours of sitting in line in one direction or the other and many run their cars and AC the whole time. YMMV, but for me it seems reasonable to swap out the air filter . Do what you will, it is just a suggestion.
When you look out of your window, you do not see the world as it is, you see it as you are.
journey

Postby AntiM » Tue Jul 27, 2010 6:09 pm

MyLarry suggests KNM filters, the kind you wash out. I know nothing about them, but he says one improved the gas mileage on the Trailblazer "some". Just a random thought.
Some sunshine, some dust, a little paint and a tutu. Yeah.
AntiM

Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby ygmir » Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:41 pm

the thing about K and N air filters is, IMHO, they let dust through.
they improve power/economy by better air flow......and, how can that happen with the size being the same, unless, it allows more air/dust to pass?
and, ya gotta keep 'em oiled.

but, that's just my experience.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby Gorski » Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:47 pm

I brought an extra air filter last year and put it in after I got to a rest stop post-exodus.

I had only driven my car on and off the playa (no driving around during the week) and I was amazed at how much dust was in the old filter. If I bring my car to the playa this year, I'm planning on getting a car cover, getting EVERYTHING out of the car, and then sealing it up for the week.
Gorski

Postby sportsmobile » Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:00 pm

i use a k&n filter in my day to day driving. i have a paper filter i will be installing in place of the k&n for my drive onto and off of the playa. then once off the playa i will put my k&n back in.

as mentioned, a k&n will let it more air than a paper filter which means more dirt.
I hope we shall crush in its birth the aristocracy of our monied corporations which dare already to challenge our government to a trial by strength, and bid defiance to the laws of our country. - Thomas Jefferson
sportsmobile

Postby geospyder » Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:02 pm

Gorski wrote:I brought an extra air filter last year and put it in after I got to a rest stop post-exodus.

I had only driven my car on and off the playa (no driving around during the week) and I was amazed at how much dust was in the old filter. If I bring my car to the playa this year, I'm planning on getting a car cover, getting EVERYTHING out of the car, and then sealing it up for the week.

Be careful of a car cover. With the winds it can cause major damage to the finish just with the rubbing, let along what can happen if it tears loose.
You know it's going to be a bad day when you jump out of bed and miss the floor.
geospyder

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Somewhere in Hushville

Postby sportsmobile » Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:18 pm

other things i do are plug up my air intake prior to the filter while at the burn. i also do this for my heater blower motor to help but back on the dust in the duct work
I hope we shall crush in its birth the aristocracy of our monied corporations which dare already to challenge our government to a trial by strength, and bid defiance to the laws of our country. - Thomas Jefferson
sportsmobile

Postby Token » Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:28 pm

moonrise wrote:Got any good ideas for decorating a YUKON????

Big letters on sides and back.

Cripple Wagon
Veges & Gimps
Fuck yer day!
Token

Return to Transportation