Question about entering at midnight and pulling a trailer

Bikes, trikes, personal mobility and mutant vehicles - this is the place to discuss general transportation issues. For ride and RV shares, please go to the year-specific Share Resources board.

Question about entering at midnight and pulling a trailer

Postby winebuff » Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:02 pm

Hi everyone, virgin here and have a quick question. I am driving by myself to BM with a my "chick shack" vintage trailer. Never driven tthe road to BRC before. Meeting some friends at midnight Sun who will be inside already. Being a girl, I know, I know, I am a bit paranoid to pull the trailer in the dark on a road I do not know. Can I cue up in line by 9pm or so and park so I dont have to drive the road in the dark. I heard there are hyper bunnies in the road :)? Thx! Very excited.....
winebuff

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity at BDC

Postby Playa Foot » Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:03 pm

As long as you have a spot reserved there is little reason to hit the gate right at midnight. Stop in Cedarville. have a good meal, gas up, check out the little bookstore if it's open and drive toward the Black Rock. It is about 100 miles from Cedarville to Gerlach so you may want to find a wide spot to wait after about 80 miles, the last fifteen miles are pretty straight and easy to drive. The rabbits are a problem, most of us have an instinctive reaction not to run the things over but it is dangerous to try to avoid them. Cows and horses are different, hitting one of them will ruin your day. Make sure your wheel bearings have been greased sometime since the new millenium and that your lights work. Don't worry, it will be a good trio.
Playa Foot

Postby ibdave » Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:11 pm

Hey winebuff, glad to see ya again. I hope you put new tires on your sweet home on wheels.. As far as timing it just right, I have no clue.
I sneak in... shhhhhhh 8) 8) 8) 8)
I was Born OK the 1st Time....

Don't bring defaultia to Burning Man, take Burning Man to defaultia...... graidawg
ibdave

Burning Since: 1998

Postby winebuff » Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:29 pm

HIYA IBDAVE :)

Yep, I have new tires, bearings, axle. It is in FINE shape. Will hang in Gerlach then and see what transpires. Good to know the road isnt too bad. Coming from the North in Oregon so wasnt sure. Anyone else have a suggestion?
winebuff

Postby winebuff » Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:30 pm

playa foot, is there a place in Gerlach to pull over and have a beer or burger? (yeah right, with everyone else there in trailers, right) lol
winebuff

Postby Sham » Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:49 am

It's nice to see you back on here winebuff lady. I hope you get to make it to the M&G at BDC&WB. I will be bringing some bottles of the finest "two-buck chuck" that BRC has ever seen, to share with my friends.

Your best bet (Nevada type talk) would be to get there when it's light out. The city grid is well laid out and the streets have signs at all the intersections, but for a first timer to be doing this in the dark just as the gates open is major insanity. You might want to pull over and sleep a bit until dawn breaks and then head it to this amazing city when it's light out. My first year I was hopelessly lost and it was still daylight out. It was dark and windy when I finally found my camp and set up my tent. Also, the lines to get in are extremely long at that time since everyone is queuing up.

Again, WELCOME--I am very excited for you!!
Sham

Postby Cooky » Thu Jul 22, 2010 5:29 am

Winebuff -- just an FYI, if you pull onto the gate entrance road before midnight and you do not have an early entry pass you could be directed to park in what's known as "D Lot". D lot is the space where anyone arriving before the gates open who does not have early entry approval as well as folks going to Ticket Will Call are temporarily parked.

Some years the wait to leave D Lot right when the event opens can be a few hours. Imagine a few hundred cars, trailers and trucks parked. Imagine hundreds of people already driving in the Gate road. Imagine the attempts to keep this somewhat sane and safe. Imagine people laughing partying yelling and happy. Now add a dust storm or two and you might be able to imagine the midnight entry scene when the gates open. Oh yeah, and add some flame throwers going off around you too.

Yes, you can squeeze in and find a place to park off the road in Gerlach. Yes it will be absolutely packed. Yes Brunos will be open and packed but you can pick up a bite to eat and a drink there.

I haven't driven the northern route down but in general be very cautious pulling off the road; the 447 it is generally soft shoulders and you have a high probability of getting stuck.

As for the bunnies, run 'em over.

Do you have to get there at midnight? Could you redo your plans to get there after sunrise?
Cooky

Postby AntiM » Thu Jul 22, 2010 5:40 am

Winebuff, you're going to be next to Magic Marty, yes? Then hit the gate at first light, there will be a place for you and your trailer. Do you know if he has early entry this year?
we were riding the crest of a high and beautiful wave. . . .
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

entry

Postby winebuff » Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:20 am

Shambala, what is M and G camp? Will definitely have to go there. Going to Docs for the party. You will recognize me. Big sign that says: Hi I am winebuff :)
Cooky, great advice on Brunos

AntiM, yes I am camping with Marty. He has early entry but is going to be gone Mon at 9am for Artery so need to get there after midnight or before 8am.

Ok one more question then please. So if I arrive Mon am around 7am, any clue where I would park and sleep before I arrive there? I am coming from the North. God, have I told you all how much I love you :)
winebuff

Re: entry

Postby Sham » Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:43 am

winebuff wrote:Shambala, what is M and G camp? Will definitely have to go there. Going to Docs for the party.

M&G at BDC&WB = Meet and Greet at Barbie Death Camp and Wine Bistro!
We love you too---bring wine with you! :D I will look for you and give a piece of my finest laser cut swag.
Sham

Postby winebuff » Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:47 am

Duh :) Yes I will be there and you will know me when you see me by the sign. Will bring wine :) Cant wait to meet you....
winebuff

Postby Token » Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:35 am

Here Dahling, I bumped a thread you missed while on hiatus.

viewtopic.php?p=566325#566325
Token

Postby phil » Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:45 am

Lots of people arrive after midnight and set up in the dark. My personal view is that I'd never do that, especially towing a trailer. I time our arrival for early morning and set up before the heat of the day during daylight when people are all over the place and can help us when we need a hand - which is pretty much every time.

To each his or her own, however.
phil

Re: entry

Postby AntiM » Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:18 pm

winebuff wrote:Shambala, what is M and G camp? Will definitely have to go there. Going to Docs for the party. You will recognize me. Big sign that says: Hi I am winebuff :)
Cooky, great advice on Brunos

AntiM, yes I am camping with Marty. He has early entry but is going to be gone Mon at 9am for Artery so need to get there after midnight or before 8am.

Ok one more question then please. So if I arrive Mon am around 7am, any clue where I would park and sleep before I arrive there? I am coming from the North. God, have I told you all how much I love you :)

Not familiar with the north at all, but looks like others have given you pointers. We will know where Marty's camp is and can get you settled in if he is not there.
we were riding the crest of a high and beautiful wave. . . .
AntiM

Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby TomServo » Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:54 pm

If you're at gunpoint, and being forced to pull a trailer at midnight, on the playa... tape a few glo sticks around the trailer, especially the hitch area!
anything worth doing is worth overdoing..
TomServo

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: BloodBath&Beyond

Postby snake » Thu Jul 22, 2010 4:04 pm

i would time it so you drive in during the day. nothing worse than white knuckling worried about the narrow road edges, soft shoulders that can snag a tire, or cows appearing out of nowhere.
snake

Postby Token » Thu Jul 22, 2010 4:16 pm

For a bunch of rowdy anarchists y'all sure like to take the safe path.

If you are driving in from Oree-gone, down 139 and whatnot, check out this old codger:

profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=6815

Who owns this property:

http://www.eaglesnestrvpark.com/

A bunch of folks will come through there on the way in. Caravan with em.

Give the dirty old shirtcocking hippie a call. Tell im we miss his narrow ass here on the boards.
Token

Postby ygmir » Thu Jul 22, 2010 4:19 pm

Token wrote:For a bunch of rowdy anarchists y'all sure like to take the safe path.

If you are driving in from Oree-gone, down 139 and whatnot, check out this old codger:

Who owns this property:

Give the dirty old shirtcocking hippie a call. Tell im we miss his narrow ass here on the boards.

I second that........Wedeliver is uber-cool.
google "Eaglesnest rv park" it'll give you a location and contact info.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby TomServo » Thu Jul 22, 2010 4:23 pm

Token wrote:For a bunch of rowdy anarchists y'all sure like to take the safe path.

Who owns this property:

How can we smash the state, if we've killed ourselves by driving under a trailer?
TomServo

Postby TomServo » Thu Jul 22, 2010 5:43 pm

If you pull a trailer with an art car, its DMVs (BLMs) rules...and a smart idea to light up the hitch.
TomServo

Postby winebuff » Thu Jul 22, 2010 5:49 pm

you guys and gals are the BEST! ill figure it out. After all, I am radically self-reliant :)
winebuff

Postby motskyroonmatick » Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:19 pm

Find the gerlach water tower(actually holding tanks) by back tracking the route to the burn on google maps. There is a generous parking area across the road from the 2 water tanks. Do a web search for the Gerlach water treatment facility to get ground level pictures so you know what to look for. They remove radioactivity from the water there so there are pictures about on the web. Park there and wait until 1120 to leave. I'm sure there will be other burners there to hang with to pass the time.

This is untested and not a sure fire method. Just my suggestion.
Black Rock City Welding and Repair. The Night Time Warming Station.

Card Carrying Member BRCCP.

When you pass the 4th "bridge out!" sign; the flaming death is all yours.-Knowmad-
motskyroonmatick

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: B.R.C. Welding&Repair.

Postby winebuff » Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:35 pm

Perfect Motsky :) I may have a connection with someone in Gerlach also. Emailed her and we will see. Hope she likes wine :)
winebuff

Postby Token » Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:37 pm

They are selling water there this year so it could get interesting.
Token

Postby EspressoDude » Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:46 pm

don't worry about the rabbits, don't swerve, don't brake. Now COWS are a different matter! Don't swerve, do brake, and pray your brakes are set up right for the load you are carrying, like an overloaded trailer, etc. Cows love to come out on the warm pavement at night. Most are black...you see something dark, and at about 100 feet away realize it is a cow that weighs about 500 - 800 pounds. If you swerve, you will crash, if you hit the cow you will crash ( and owe the farmer $$ )
Is 4 shots enuff? no foo-foo drinks; just naked Espresso
Tactical Espresso Service http://home.comcast.net/~espressocamp/
Field Artillery Tractor
FOGBANK, GOD OF HELLFIRE
BLACK ROCK f/x Trojan Horse,Anubis,2014Temple
burn shit and blow shit up
EspressoDude

Postby motskyroonmatick » Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:46 pm

My method does not take you in to Gerlach. Part of the water system for the town is located miles away adjacent to 447 on the way in from the north. I think it could get very technical and possibly frustrating to actually venture in to Gerlach on Sunday evening. If you have a good reason to go though....Do it.
Black Rock City Welding and Repair. The Night Time Warming Station.

Card Carrying Member BRCCP.

When you pass the 4th "bridge out!" sign; the flaming death is all yours.-Knowmad-
motskyroonmatick

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: B.R.C. Welding&Repair.

Postby some seeing eye » Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:57 pm

I have traveled from Oregon to BRC many times. You can arrange to caravan with groups of vehicles traveling for the busy arrival times. It's also easy to meet up with other travelers in Cedarville, maybe suggested Eagle's Rest or Summer Hot Springs they are further out, so hard to maintain a caravan over the distance, but they are great burner parties before and after.

If you arrive at midnight it will take hours to get in. So arriving in the early morning has its advantages. On the other hand, things are unpredictable, so having a backup plan to meet your friend/ find the camp might help. If he's in early, he's likely placed, so you can navigate to the approx location and ask around/ find a camp marker.

My calculation of sunrise (I may be wrong) is about 5:30AM incoming.

The incoming 447 has some curvy downhills and unfenced free range cattle areas. But it flattens out and there are shoulders to park and sleep for the last few miles North of Gerlach on 447.

Coming from the North on 447 there is a Y with county road 34 on the left. You can see it in the maps linked below. If you go straight on 447 you go into Gerlach. If you take a left and head North on road 34, you are running along the West edge of the playa toward the gate. If you go into Gerlach, you end up in a big backup. So if you don't need gas you might rest to the North and skip Gerlach entirely incoming.

Alturas has 24 hour gas. Cedarville maybe. Eagleville unlikely. You need enough to get in and then get out to the fuel stop. Leaving certain times, Gerlach gas stations and roads are pretty clogged. But outgoing daytime often the Gerlach fire department charges a nominal fee for a car wash to benefit the schools - a great thing to support!

http://gwally.com/directions/ is a good resource for arrivers from Oregon, Washington and points North.
some seeing eye

Camp Name: Woo

Postby winebuff » Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:12 pm

Wow, thx everyone. Still not sure which way to play it but may just head down and see where my comfort level lies. You are awesome!
winebuff

Postby teardropper » Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:54 am

Winebuff, it sounds more and more like you should go with our group. We will be at Eagles Nest Sunday night and leave to try and get in at dawn. Yes, night road driving. It's a little curvy for a while, but we will drive slow, I have to, and there will be a group of us. That's basically how I did it last year. I was driving slow and many groups went around me headed for BRC. Dawn entry is great.

\^/
/..\ Furthur
teardropper

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: The late Lazy Fucks. Now Orphan Eaters.

Postby winebuff » Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:06 am

teardropper wrote:Winebuff, it sounds more and more like you should go with our group. We will be at Eagles Nest Sunday night and leave to try and get in at dawn. Yes, night road driving. It's a little curvy for a while, but we will drive slow, I have to, and there will be a group of us. That's basically how I did it last year. I was driving slow and many groups went around me headed for BRC. Dawn entry is great.

Wow, that sounds like a good idea. Let me pm you then. I am low maintenance :)
winebuff

Next

Return to Transportation