Penske canceling all trucks?

Bikes, trikes, personal mobility and mutant vehicles - this is the place to discuss general transportation issues. For ride and RV shares, please go to the year-specific Share Resources board.

Penske canceling all trucks?

Postby meeotch » Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:37 pm

Not to be alarmist, but I just got a call from Penske, saying that all one-way truck reservations into Nevada are canceled for the week of Burning Man, company-wide.

Anybody else get a cancellation? That's going to bone a lot of folks, I imagine - Penske's been pretty popular with burners, iirc.
meeotch

Postby Token » Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:01 pm

Why would you rent one way? Don't you have to take all your stuff back home?
Token

Burning Since: 2001

Postby FaeTora » Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:15 pm

thats what I was thinking, in that case they don't even ask. at least not the ones here in houston.
We break to remind us how to mend.
FaeTora

Postby meeotch » Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:36 pm

One-way rentals are significantly cheaper, since they charge by the day only, not by the mile. (Discovered this tidbit from several posts on the forums.) "Home" for us is New York City - so everything large either burns or gets donated. We only need a whole truck one direction.

I assumed they're only canceling the one-way reservations because there's no way of telling if round-trippers are going to BMan.
meeotch

Postby Token » Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:40 pm

How about a one way to Sacramento, Oakland or SF?
Token

Postby Sham » Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:41 pm

You could do a one-way rental, but drop it off in Salt Lake City, or Anytown USA other than Reno.
Radical self reliance works with dealing with truck rental places as well! :D
Sham

Postby Kinetik V » Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:47 am

I called to verify this earlier today and according to Penske they will NOT lease a truck to anyone that mentions Burning Man. In fact Penske corporate has provided their call center reps with a tip sheet for all Nevada rentals with questions to screen potential customers. They flat out do not want their trucks going to BRC.

If you want to find out more call them via the toll free number on their website but this is a shame as IMHO they have been the best company to rent from. They've always taken great care of me.
Kinetic V
~~~~~~
When you finally let go, only then will you learn how to live.
I bring order to chaos. And I bring chaos to those who deserve it.
Kinetik V

Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: Sanctuary West

Postby Mosin » Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:14 am

Not to be alarmist either (!) but anyone considering tyring to get around their BM policy by returning a one-way in another state should make sure the contract does not explicly state that BM is off-limits. Many car rental companies now track their vehicles with GPS and fine customers who violate their contract/s... including speeding! Here's an example:

http://news.cnet.com/2100-1040-268747.html
Come down with fire - Lift my spirit higher -Someone's screaming my name - Come and make me holy again....
Mosin

Burning Since: 2007

Postby Sham » Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:29 am

The only reason that Penske would be doing this, is that "someone" didn't clean their truck when they returned it and now they went and spoiled it for everyone else.
Which one of you slobs did this? You know who you are! :roll:
Sham

Postby Sham » Thu Jul 15, 2010 5:28 am

On another thread, I suggested using the "change of address moving kit" from the U.S. Post Office for discounts at various merchants. One of them is Budget Truck Rental for 20% off the entire rental of a box truck.

You can check out www.budgettruck.com/pmov and use coupon code PD226 for the 20% off. (AntiM: this is just a referal! :D )
Sham

Postby AntiM » Thu Jul 15, 2010 5:38 am

Referrals are fine, Sham.

This is going to screw anyone moving to the university in Reno.

Our first two years we used U-Haul. While they had not heard of Burning Man as afar as we knew, we told them we were going out of state, antiquing. We also cleaned the snot out of the little enclosed trailer.

Yeah, and I want a piece of slob-ass to chew.
we were riding the crest of a high and beautiful wave. . . .
AntiM

Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby C.f.M. » Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:45 am

I've never rented a truck or car, but I was also told (or read somewhere) not to mention Burning Man, when you get one.
C.f.M.

Burning Since: 2009

Postby oneeyeddick » Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:48 am

That would be the smart thing to do, but over enthused newbs can't stop bragging about where they are going to people who really don't care.
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.
oneeyeddick

Burning Since: 1996

Postby Fire_Moose » Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:22 am

Can't wait to see how many are out there this year.

Should be interesting. Best of luck to any one this affects.
2K8 Burning Man Virgin 2K11 Camp Envy
2K9 Camp Envy 2k12 Fucking Flamingoes
2k10 Stag Camp 2k13 Camp Envy
Fire_Moose

Postby Dr. Pyro » Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:16 am

While this may be of little use to those of you trying to rent large trucks, the AVIS dealership in downtown Sacramento is very burner-friendly. Ask for the manager of the place, Steve, and do not hesitate to tell him you are planning on taking it to BMan. His number is (916) 446-2695. You must be over 25 to rent from them. But I have heard nothing but positive feed back over the past three years. Good luck.
Dr. Pyro

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Postby Elderberry » Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:42 am

No cancellation here, but we got a one way rental originating in one city in CA and returned to another city in CA. Plus we go early and return late, so the dates don't correspond to BM and I also have a corporate address in Reno, so I'm sure that helps too.

I'm assuming that the one way rentals in Nevada are originating somewhere in Nevada and terminating somewhere in Nevada also?

JK
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
Elderberry

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Return to Transportation