third party rental truck insurance

Bikes, trikes, personal mobility and mutant vehicles - this is the place to discuss general transportation issues. For ride and RV shares, please go to Share Resources.

third party rental truck insurance

Postby meeotch » Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:11 pm

Does anyone have research to share regarding third party insurance when renting a truck? Googling didn't turn up much info. Some context:

o many personal auto insurance policies don't cover trucks, "commercial" rentals, or "off-road" operation.
o ditto the automatic insurance included with your credit card;
o the insurance offered by the rental companies adds up pretty quickly.

I know that getting a cargo van instead can get around some of the above - but would prefer to go truck.
meeotch

3rd party

Postby professorzed » Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:19 pm

you mean an additional driver of the truck you rent?

I thought it was automatic. Otherwise, just ask the company you rent the truck from. "Are additional drivers allowed?"
professorzed

Postby StevenGoodman » Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:12 am

Often, if you rent a vehicle, everyone who is going to be driver needs to show up and sign. Any rental, not just trucks.

Every place is slightly different.

But, by Third Party, do you mean something not associated with the rental company? Like my "automatic" Discover Card coverage?

Martini Steve
Playawaste Raiders and Megaton Bar and Grill
StevenGoodman

Postby meeotch » Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:08 am

>> But, by Third Party, do you mean something not associated with the rental company? Like my "automatic" Discover Card coverage?

Bingo. I'm asking whether there's a cheaper alternative than the coverage you buy from the rental company. (Given that credit card and personal policies may not automatically cover you.)
meeotch

Postby phil » Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:30 am

Ask the agent for your personal policy what he can do for the extra coverage.
phil

Postby gyre » Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:20 pm

Most companies no problem.
You can even insure a borrowed car.

And you can turn insurance on and off with some companies like progressive.
gyre

Postby This Woman » Sat Jul 17, 2010 6:38 pm

I'm an insurance agent in NV, though its been years since I've done personal lines. Phil is right to ask your agent and I will add read your policy BEFORE you expose your assets.

Start in the table of contents, and read the definitions, of terms like Other Vehicles, Replacement Vehicles or Substitute. Many policies consider trucks commercial vehicles (and vans too for that matter, depending on model), or the reason that you are using it as a replacement is restrictive. If excluded, it may be an easy fix to add in with an endorsement for little or no charge, but you have to do it before you leave.

If you are considering relying on your own coverage for physical damage to the truck, also proceed with caution, for above reasons, but even if it's covered, they have a process that takes time. It can take anywhere from 48 hours to months to adjust a physical damage claim. But the rental company will want their money immediately.

I'm not trying to to be pessimistic, it's actually my preferred mode of transpo. I empty it out and turn it into a lovely home. I can't afford it this year. :(
The Liver's End ~ Where the locals go.
This Woman

Burning Since: 1995

Postby jkisha » Sun Jul 18, 2010 9:57 am

I'm with Gieco and they do cover liability but will not cover damage to the truck and don't even offer a rider for this.

JK
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Re: third party rental truck insurance

Postby meeotch » Sat Sep 24, 2011 11:45 am

Less crucial now that the burn is over (we went with a car, ultimately, and bought the rental company insurance) - but I'm still interested in the answer. I also should have been more clear: I live in NYC, and thus don't have a personal auto insurance policy. I was/am looking for temporary coverage, other than what's provided by the rental company. At this point, I'm actually going to broaden my question to cover rental cars as well as trucks - so:

Does anyone know of a good source for *temporary* liability and/or collision insurance for people who have no personal auto policy, and who want to rent a vehicle without getting jacked by the rental company?

I know there's something called "non-owner liability insurance", for people who rent cars frequently. But I believe it's a long-term thing (like regular insurance), and I wasn't able to google up much info on who sells it or where to get the best rates. I also know that many states require the rental companies to provide minimum liability - but California is not one of those states. Someone suggested that "trip insurance" may include rental insurance - but google didn't come through for me on this either.

As an aside: on a recent 2-day rental from Dollar, the quoted rate was $20/day. The final bill: $200 dollars. Unreal.
meeotch

Postby BBadger » Sun Sep 25, 2011 5:52 am

Temporary insurance kind of goes against the entire concept of selling "insurance," which is to make a profit hedging against the cost of an occasional accident by selling long-term coverage to many owners. You're not likely to find any coverage that costs less than what the rental companies charge.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby essjay » Sun Sep 25, 2011 4:19 pm

BBadger wrote:Temporary insurance kind of goes against the entire concept of selling "insurance," which is to make a profit hedging against the cost of an occasional accident by selling long-term coverage to many owners. You're not likely to find any coverage that costs less than what the rental companies charge.

No. There are many forms of temporary insurance (flight insurance comes to mind) that don't rely on long-term payments. The actuaries still make the numbers work.
essjay

Postby This Woman » Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:14 am

Non-owned liability is long term insurance intended for people who drive, but don’t own cars…often people who require insurance to be licensed (DUIs, formerly revoked licenses, or work only).

Though there is such a thing as non-owned physical damage coverage, it’s difficult to procure. Most insurance companies only write it for businesses.

Another thing to consider, rental companies want their money when you return the vehicle. They will take it off your credit card if they can, and if not they are vicious and experienced at collecting. Most insurance companies on the other hand take days or even weeks to determine liability, determine values and negotiate with body repair shops.

I’m an insurance agent, and I have good coverage and I’ve even read my policy…and I buy the rental car coverage every time. I will sometimes forego the liability (if I’m very comfortable that I have the coverage under my own policy), but never the physical damage. I’ve seen the rental car companies in action and I don’t ever want to have one of them after me, even for the time it takes an insurance carrier to settle a claim.
The Liver's End ~ Where the locals go.
This Woman

Burning Since: 1995

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:49 pm

[quote="Marret321"]I´m just not sure wehther or not there is an english company offering coverage for the US market, vehicle independant as the Brits consider the driver as the important part, noct the vehicle and one has a chouce. I´ll check and post again. :)

M.[/quote}
I would guess there would have to be. Although I just want to say "Cooks" or "Travellers" since those are the only british companies I know of.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Return to Transportation