Will the I-80 Be In Ruin Again?

Bikes, trikes, personal mobility and mutant vehicles - this is the place to discuss general transportation issues. For ride and RV shares, please go to the year-specific Share Resources board.

Will the I-80 Be In Ruin Again?

Postby peachandpapa » Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:16 am

I know a lot of you on this board make runs on the I-80 between Sacramento and Reno. Are there still massive repairs going on and do you expect any delays like last year? Definitely made it exciting luging down the narrow lanes with a panel truck and trailer!
Go Forth and Tell the Story...
peachandpapa

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: At the Oasis

Postby LostinReno » Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:21 am

I drove it last weekend and the weekend before. The "luge" is presently still there (around Farad). It took us about 45 minutes to get from Truckee to Verdi on a non holiday Sunday afternoon. :x I haven't heard if it will go away soon, you might want to check Cal-Trans website since it ends as soon as you hit the Nevada line.
LostinReno

Burning Since: 2009

Postby ygmir » Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:21 am

yes.

and, check the caltrans website, it is your best source for that info.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby Jackass » Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:23 am

At least that way we won't have to flog the truck all the way up the hill and take every turn-out

EASTBOUND TRAFFIC IS REDUCED TO 1 LANE FROM THE DONNER LAKE INTERCHANGE
TO TRUCKEE (NEVADA CO) 24 HRS A DAY FROM 2200 HRS SUNDAY THRU 0900 HRS FRIDAY
THRU 7/2/10 - DUE TO CONSTRUCTION - MOTORISTS ARE SUBJECT TO DELAYS OF UP TO
30 MINUTES
Sooner or later, it will get real strange...

11th Principle: Depussyfication - Keeping Burning Man potentially lethal. Token
Jackass

Postby Dr. Pyro » Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:43 am

And keep in mind the rest station at the Donner Summit/Boreal Ridge is closed until May. That's where we would stop and either just use the facilities or rendezvoux with our fellow Barbiebarians and caravan to Black Rock City. Now we will have to rethink it. Anyone know of a good spot right off of I-80 that would do as a rendezvoux spot?
Dr. Pyro

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Postby LostinReno » Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:48 am

Dr. Pyro wrote:And keep in mind the rest station at the Donner Summit/Boreal Ridge is closed until May. That's where we would stop and either just use the facilities or rendezvoux with our fellow Barbiebarians and caravan to Black Rock City. Now we will have to rethink it. Anyone know of a good spot right off of I-80 that would do as a rendezvoux spot?

We rendezvoued in the West parking lot of the Alamo at 5am on Monday last year. Since your actually coming over the hill, you might want to consider Gold Ranch??
LostinReno

Postby Jackass » Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:51 am

Boomtown, has all the amenities.

Jackass

Postby Dr. Pyro » Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:52 am

I Googled it and see that there's one in Verdi. I think I've passed it a million times and never paid any attention to it. I presume it's easy-off easy-on coming from Auburn. Anything else about it should know? For now, it seems like a pretty good idea.
Dr. Pyro

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Postby LostinReno » Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:11 am

Jackass is on to something...Cabela's/Boomtown parking lot would be perfect, it's huge and easy on/off. Easier than Gold Ranch. Gold Ranch is fine when your in just a car, the on ramp is a little short if your pulling something and that's right past where the construction ends, people are stupid when they can speed up again.
LostinReno

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:35 am

ygmir wrote:yes.

and, check the caltrans website, it is your best source for that info.

And NDOT. And the transportation authority for any particular state you are driving through. A lot of stimulus money was earmarked for road repair, and it may have taken them some time before they started, and they do have to use it up by sometime next year, so there may be more than usual...
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Eric » Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:41 am

LostinReno wrote:Jackass is on to something...Cabela's/Boomtown parking lot would be perfect, it's huge and easy on/off.

The catch is that it's huge. Make sure you know what part of the lot you're meeting in.
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scammers and Scalpers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby LostinReno » Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:19 pm

Eric wrote:
LostinReno wrote:Jackass is on to something...Cabela's/Boomtown parking lot would be perfect, it's huge and easy on/off.

The catch is that it's huge. Make sure you know what part of the lot you're meeting in.

Cabela's parking lot would probably be better, at the north end (away from the building). You'll at least be able to "see" each other. Waaaaay over there, there, there! Just go all the way around the roundabout when you get to it. You'll know what I mean when you get there. :lol:
LostinReno

Postby Boijoy » Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:05 pm

LostinReno wrote:Jackass is on to something...Cabela's/Boomtown parking lot would be perfect, it's huge and easy on/off. Easier than Gold Ranch. Gold Ranch is fine when your in just a car, the on ramp is a little short if your pulling something and that's right past where the construction ends, people are stupid when they can speed up again.

YES YES !!! and make sure you are sporting your blue hair in the Cabellas parking lot. :lol: it will FREAK those shoppers out!
don't forget to floss
Boijoy

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Metro Mart

Postby Jackass » Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:31 pm

They're burners... you can't miss'em

Jackass

Return to Transportation