Drop Offs at the Playa?

Bikes, trikes, personal mobility and mutant vehicles - this is the place to discuss general transportation issues. For ride and RV shares, please go to the year-specific Share Resources board.

Drop Offs at the Playa?

Postby LemurLad » Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:40 pm

A friend of mine is going backpacking the week of the burn and is willing to transport my girlfriend and I to and from the playa, but I'm not sure what the policy on drop offs is. Has anyone ever gone this way?

Thanks!
~All who wander are not lost~
LemurLad

Postby AntiM » Sat Jun 19, 2010 7:00 am

He can drop you off at the Gate, not drive you into the city. Highway to Gate is about a mile or two, then Gate road is a mile or more into BRC, depending on configuration. Do you have any idea where you'll be camping? Walk in?

Exodus will suck eggs. Gate is gone and you have to make it out to the road for pick up. Not very safe.

Can you carry all your gear?

It can be done, but it will be quite the adventure.
we were riding the crest of a high and beautiful wave. . . .
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Re: Drop Offs at the Playa?

Postby bm_cricket » Sat Jun 19, 2010 7:19 am

LemurLad wrote:A friend of mine is going backpacking the week of the burn and is willing to transport my girlfriend and I to and from the playa, but I'm not sure what the policy on drop offs is. Has anyone ever gone this way?

Thanks!

My neighbors did that in 2008 and it worked for them but they were young, spry, and had already been backpacking around the US for almost a year. Camping, Couch surfing, etc. It can be done. I strongly recommend finding someone you trust and who you know to bring enough food and water for you to share. Give them ample money to buy the containers, buy the life-preserving things to put inside, and transport it for you. Otherwise you are in for a back breaking couple of mile hike. Oh, and you can probably expect a hassle at the gate and at greeters if you try to walk in without any food or water. Trust me, they are trying to save your life!
)'(
bm_cricket

Burning Since: 2008

Postby phil » Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:36 am

> Gate is gone and you have to make it out to the road for pick up.

Some of the backpackers I've met have arranged for their ride out before the end of the Burn, meaning they had their ride from camp to blacktop. Generally, Burners will be a helpful crew in whatever ways they can.
phil

Postby Token » Sat Jun 19, 2010 12:03 pm

Sheesh! All this preaching makes it sound like the gates of San Quentin.

You just need to make it to town in Gerlach. You can get a ride in and out to that point no problem. Have your friend meet you at Brunos for a bite to eat and whatnot.

It's BRC fer shouting fire, not a Siberian gulag.
Token

Burning Since: 2001

Postby Eric » Sat Jun 19, 2010 2:38 pm

Token wrote:You just need to make it to town in Gerlach. You can get a ride in and out to that point no problem.

I agree with Token. Just make a sign that says "have our tickets, just need to get to BRC" on it. Be willing to show your tickets to your potential ride so they know you're not trying to sneak in so they don't have problems with Gate.

Other than that, easy.
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scammers and Scalpers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby dragonpilot » Sat Jun 19, 2010 3:51 pm

Two Burns ago met a poor little waif in Center Camp holding a sign "BF and I need ride to Seattle."

They got it!
Don't bore your friends with all your troubles. Tell your enemies instead, for they will delight in hearing about them.
dragonpilot

Burning Since: 2005

Postby LemurLad » Sun Jun 20, 2010 12:49 pm

Awesome! Thanks for the help folks. :) Catching a ride from Gerlach sounds like the way to do it. We were thinking of bringing bike trailers to tow our stuff with so lugging it around shouldn't be too bad.

Woo! Can't wait!
~All who wander are not lost~
LemurLad

Return to Transportation