Art Transpo: Trucks, Containers & Trailers, Oh My!

Bikes, trikes, personal mobility and mutant vehicles - this is the place to discuss general transportation issues. For ride and RV shares, please go to Share Resources.

Art Transpo: Trucks, Containers & Trailers, Oh My!

Postby Quidam » Fri Jun 11, 2010 8:18 am

Our camp has an art installation (specifically, the Tesseract mirror-bungee hypercube) that has needed either a cube truck rented or a trailer pulled behind a camp member with a large enough vehicle- a luxury we don't always have.

A third alternative has occurred to me this year, namely the possibility of buying a storage container suitable for being hauled by a semi and hiring a trucker to pick it up from where it's being stored and drop it off on the playa, then to reverse the process come Monday.

This has several obvious benefits, but, having not yet looked too far into it, I wonder what the costs are like and if the hive mind has experience in these matters. The storage area is in Apple Valley, CA, to give you an idea of the distances involved- 'bout an hour outside of LA t'wards Vegas.

We can always brute force it with a truck- we've done it before. I just feel this might be The Way and the sooner, the better.

What say ye? Yay? Nay? Nonny-nonny hey?

mahalo nui loa,

∞Q
Quidam

Postby Jackass » Fri Jun 11, 2010 9:03 am

Your third alternative seems to be an ambitious but expensive one you could buy a decent used box van for what that would cost you...just saying
Sooner or later, it will get real strange...

11th Principle: Depussyfication - Keeping Burning Man potentially lethal. Token
Jackass

Postby Rusted Iron » Sun Jun 13, 2010 7:42 am

If you buy a box van, don't forget to factor in the commercial weight fee when you register it, and again every year, if you keep it.
Rusted Iron

Re: Art Transpo: Trucks, Containers & Trailers, Oh My!

Postby AntiM » Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:27 pm

Quidam wrote:A third alternative has occurred to me this year, namely the possibility of buying a storage container suitable for being hauled by a semi and hiring a trucker to pick it up from where it's being stored and drop it off on the playa, then to reverse the process come Monday.

Shouldn't be too hard to get a quote from a company or through a broker. There's at least one trucker on the board who is planning on attending in his tractor. I wonder if an arrangement could be made? The cost of fuel is crazy though.
Some sunshine, some dust, a little paint and a tutu. Yeah.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Return to Transportation