Newbie bike question!

Bikes, trikes, personal mobility and mutant vehicles - this is the place to discuss general transportation issues. For ride and RV shares, please go to Share Resources.

Newbie bike question!

Postby shroom » Thu May 27, 2010 4:47 pm

Is it possible to enjoy burning man without a bike? My friend and I are newbies and are trying to condense our load as much as possible. Of course not having 2 bikes would take up a lot less room.

If it's crazy not to bring one, we'll bring it.

Opinions?
"Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion. You must first set yourself on fire." Fred Shero
shroom

Burning Since: 2010

Re: Newbie bike question!

Postby bm_cricket » Thu May 27, 2010 4:59 pm

shroom wrote:Is it possible to enjoy burning man without a bike? My friend and I are newbies and are trying to condense our load as much as possible. Of course not having 2 bikes would take up a lot less room.

If it's crazy not to bring one, we'll bring it.

Opinions?

You don't need a bike but it makes it easier to be "independent" and still get out around town. I like having one if I am determined to just go exploring because it can be faster than walking (unless it can't handle the dust).

I also really enjoy walking because most art cars don't let you on with a bike (although some have racks).

So I'll ask you:
1)Do you like doing your own thing and being in control of your destiny?
2)Or do you enjoy going with the flow and seeing where it takes you?

I alternate between the two so I have a bike for my "control freak" moments and I have my feet for the "lets see what happens!" moments...
)'(
bm_cricket

Burning Since: 2008

Postby mudpuppy000 » Thu May 27, 2010 5:33 pm

I really liked having mine, but there was a few times that I just went out walking and left the bike at camp and was just fine. It takes longer to get places but I found that I noticed more when I was walking vs zooming by on the bike.
mudpuppy000

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Orphan Endorphin

Postby teardropper » Thu May 27, 2010 5:40 pm

Georgia is a long way to haul that old, garage sale beach cruiser you're going to buy. And that is what you should get, if you can. Smooth tires, 2.125"x26, don't need to be knobby, but a mountain bike will also work. Some nights I walk, because you can stop and do the thing you would have missed had you beem riding by. And sometimes it's too hard to ride. But you will NEED a bike. Too much to see and do and sometimes out on the playa it's a long way between stuff to see and do.
\^/
/..\ Furthur
teardropper

Camp Name: The late Lazy Fucks. Now Orphan Eaters.

Postby bm_cricket » Thu May 27, 2010 5:53 pm

teardropper wrote:Georgia is a long way to haul that old, garage sale beach cruiser you're going to buy. And that is what you should get, if you can. Smooth tires, 2.125"x26, don't need to be knobby, but a mountain bike will also work. Some nights I walk, because you can stop and do the thing you would have missed had you beem riding by. And sometimes it's too hard to ride. But you will NEED a bike. Too much to see and do and sometimes out on the playa it's a long way between stuff to see and do.

I guess that I don't have any hope of seeing everything anyway. In 2008 my bike had no ball barrings on either wheel and the brakes didn't work. It got me around just fine! It was best when I wanted to go way-the-freak across the playa and I knew I wouldn't be stopping anywhere in between. Good example is if I was going to go work a shift someplace...
)'(
bm_cricket

Postby junglesmacks » Thu May 27, 2010 5:55 pm

I was talking to my dear friend the Ice Queen today, and she was telling me about how on the road out there there are people selling used bikes out of trucks. I think that would be the best option possibly? Load the car up, and then somehow strap the used bikes to the roof..? I'm wondering this myself as I'm flying in to RNO from Florida and obviously can't pack one. That, or try and get friends that are coming to throw an extra one on the bike rack..
junglesmacks

Camp Name: Your mom's tent

Postby bm_cricket » Thu May 27, 2010 6:01 pm

junglesmacks wrote:I was talking to my dear friend the Ice Queen today, and she was telling me about how on the road out there there are people selling used bikes out of trucks. I think that would be the best option possibly? Load the car up, and then somehow strap the used bikes to the roof..? I'm wondering this myself as I'm flying in to RNO from Florida and obviously can't pack one. That, or try and get friends that are coming to throw an extra one on the bike rack..

In years past there have been places in Reno selling them, and places on the road back "accepting donations".. for the same company. But I've never had any experience with them and I have always heard that they either sell out or fill up really early. If you think you will need a bike, start looking at garage sales now and don't buy anything even remotely nice.. and figure out a way to strap it to the roof... if you think you can manage without it and you think it's going to be a big hassle to get it there.. well, don't bother.

But don't rely on buying one at the last minute in Reno or on the road. One of my camp mates did, it was fine.. sometimes luck is on your side.
)'(
bm_cricket

Postby shroom » Thu May 27, 2010 6:06 pm

That's for all the comments so fast! I love you guys already! :D
"Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion. You must first set yourself on fire." Fred Shero
shroom

Burning Since: 2010

Postby Savannah » Thu May 27, 2010 6:22 pm

I didn't bring a bike my 1st year, and didn't ride one (even though I brought one) my 5th year. Years 2, 3, & 4 I really enjoyed one, in order to view the maximum amount of art and get across the playa during the day for random events. At night, I found biking unnecessary (even annoying, in the crowd) though it was fun to go way out on the playa away from everything, zipping around.

So it's entirely possible to get along fine without one, or to share one with a campmate (discuss it first).

So I would bring one if possible . . . but don't worry like crazy if you can't.
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby robotland » Thu May 27, 2010 7:15 pm

I've seen bikes for sale along 447, but don't count on them being there!

The harder you stress over bringing a bike, the more likely it'll be that there are spares in camp or that you'll be too happy/drunk/distracted/tired/other to want one.
Howdy From Kalamazoo
robotland

Postby teardropper » Thu May 27, 2010 7:27 pm

Yeah, if it's going to cause a lot of stress, you might not do it. You could see how it goes. Unless I am going deep I don't ride at night either. And maybe you could share. Good ideas.

But if you can figure it out, and it's not really hard to do, try to find that perfect, $40 beach cruiser.
\^/
/..\ Furthur
teardropper

Postby dragonpilot » Thu May 27, 2010 7:35 pm

Not absolutely necessary, but you get the idea from the previous posts. It's nice to have when you need it.

I, too, have learned to leave the bike at camp when I go out for the night. There's a tendency at night to blow by little nuggets of road side attractions on your bike, while on foot you'll be more likely to wander in and see what's going on...what with the hassle of locking it up, then trying to find it again.
Don't bore your friends with all your troubles. Tell your enemies instead, for they will delight in hearing about them.
dragonpilot

Burning Since: 2005

Postby trystanthegypsy » Thu May 27, 2010 9:29 pm

Honestly bikes don't really affect your packing that much... you can get those strap-on racks that will go on to the back of any car that doesn't have a spare on the back for pretty cheap on craigslist. Last year we put 2 bikes, a pair of jumping stilts, and a massive tarp on that bike rack on the back of my little 4-door cavalier.

I stole the bike rack from my mom, but I think they are around a $100-$150 brand new if you absolutely can't find a garage sale one, and they are pretty useful. You can even unstrap the whole rack, bikes and all, if you absolutely need to get into the trunk.
trystanthegypsy

Postby mode-of-operation » Thu May 27, 2010 10:44 pm

My first year, the bike I had bruised my anus. Not knowing how uneven the ground would be, the constant jaring from the bumps made it rough. By the end of the week we ditched the bike and walked. Still rough if you want to see everything but my anus appreciated my efforts.
mode-of-operation

Postby teardropper » Thu May 27, 2010 11:16 pm

I got a big padded sheep skin saddle cover. I ride a bike a fair amount but my playa bike has a different kind of seat. And it's just not good enough to ride around at home. It is tough to adjust and I, too, get a little sore. I'm so padded this year I think I'll make it.
\^/
/..\ Furthur
teardropper

Postby Snow » Thu May 27, 2010 11:47 pm

Personally I wouldn't go out there without a bike, or 4, but that is me. One of my favorite parts of he burn is solo sunrise bike rides. I also often have burns/performances/shifts that I need to make it to, a bike is the best for commuting to "work." Keep in mind I am a regular desert mt biker and used to be a bike commuter in the default world, and would never not own several bikes. Riding for insane amounts is something I actually enjoy.

You however may never want to get on a bike at the burn, it's more of a personal thing than a necessity. ESPECIALLY if you know someone with an art car.

My ice cream making bike has a furry seat, its pretty nice, but it only gets ridden till the ice cream is done, once thart happens its too hard to ride.
"Art Is Not A Mirror, It Is A Hammer" - Jon Griersam
Snow

Postby gypsy68 » Sun May 30, 2010 11:07 am

My first 2 years I didn't bring a bike. I was able to get around just fine.

This year I bought a cheap bike for the playa. Now I just need to start riding it before I go. (I have not been on a bike since I got my drivers license at 16 - that was 25 years ago)
gypsy68

Burning Since: 2004

Postby Jindy » Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:57 am

If you don't have a bike, plan on camping as close as possible to one of the sites where ice is sold. Otherwise, you are screwed. When you enter BM, a greeter will give you info that includes the location of ice selling sites. Last year, there were 3 sites, one near Center Camp and the other two somewhere on 3:00 and 9:00, I think.
Jindy

Postby dragonpilot » Tue Jun 01, 2010 3:18 pm

Jindy wrote:If you don't have a bike, plan on camping as close as possible to one of the sites where ice is sold. Otherwise, you are screwed.

Just send someone with a bike to get the ice...their gift to you!
Don't bore your friends with all your troubles. Tell your enemies instead, for they will delight in hearing about them.
dragonpilot

Burning Since: 2005

Return to Transportation