Best Way to Pad A Bike Seat?

Bikes, trikes, personal mobility and mutant vehicles - this is the place to discuss general transportation issues. For ride and RV shares, please go to Share Resources.

Best Way to Pad A Bike Seat?

Postby EmilyD » Wed May 12, 2010 12:05 pm

We're burgins and bringing our cruiser bikes which have big wide seats. They're comfortable enough for short rides but not for all day. What recommendations do folks have for covering the seats and making them booty-soft?
You don't have to be skinny, naked and under 30 to be a Hottie!
EmilyD

Burning Since: 2010

Postby gaminwench » Wed May 12, 2010 12:07 pm

fur...
gaminwench

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: DOTA, EoD, OBOP, Destiny Lounge

Postby jella » Wed May 12, 2010 12:10 pm

I second the fur ! This year I'm planning ahead and sewing a seam to slip cord through so it will stay on.
Burning Man isn't about the stuff you see when you get there ....it's about the people that brought that stuff there
jella

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: ASSORTED :)

bike seat ideas:

Postby clerkkent » Wed May 12, 2010 12:17 pm

a few ideas here:

A) if you don't care about the condition of the bike seats after you're done with them then you could:

A1) reupholster the bike seat by removing existing vinyl covering & padding, and , using spray adhesive, add new foam cushioning and your choice of seat cover.

A2) duct tape additional padding to existing seat , as-is, then wrap new padded mess with fabric of your choice, then sewing , stapling or gluing. ALERT: depending on quality of work, this could be a MOOP producing solution

B) if you don't want to damage existing seat, then:

B1) you can purchase slip on seat covers.. then stuff them like a bra with desired amount of padding.

B2) Same idea as A2, but be cautious with tape, and do a quality job with fastening the seat covering.

C) Get a new seat, and swap it out with existing seat. I scrounge for old exercycles with big @$$ seats (designed to handle someone's toosh for hours at a time). You can find them fairly cheap or free at yard sales, or Craig's list.

Note: I use option C for my bikes.
clerkkent

Postby EmilyD » Wed May 12, 2010 12:40 pm

Yeah Fur sounds smart. Clerk, I don't mind trashing the seats, they're for BM only.

Jella, can you explain how you suggest doing the slip cord thingie, an add-on cover might be the best solution. Also, what did you do last time that didn't work?
EmilyD

Postby jella » Wed May 12, 2010 12:55 pm

The fur is easiest to sew right side is I plan and we'll see how this goes to roughly cut 1-1/2 inch bigger then the seat for a pattern and just run a seam I have a handy little cord puller I bought at the fabric store.

Last year I just inprovised with saftey pins and zip ties..over and over and over lol it kept slipping off. :roll:
Burning Man isn't about the stuff you see when you get there ....it's about the people that brought that stuff there
jella

Postby ConnieH » Wed May 12, 2010 1:03 pm

in addition to padding your seat, I'd suggest you ride a bunch before the burn - get those butt bones (and muscles) ready to ride. The day after my first mountain bike ride of the season, my bum hurrrts enough to not want to get back on the bike for a few days, even with my ergonomically correct memory foam padded seat - would hate to have a sore bum ruin your burn ;-)
ConnieH

Postby Bounce530 » Wed May 12, 2010 1:07 pm

Problem I see with a duct taped seat would be, the glue of the tape will become soft due to the heat of the day and your butt bouncing around on it. The tape will move, slide, and roll, your butt will stick to the glue that is exposed, creating a mess, plus like what was mentioned it would most likely create moop. But hey, you might like duct tape boogers on your ass, who knows...could make for some interesting convo starters...
What other people think about you is none of your business.
Bounce530

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: BRC Guardian docking pad

Postby Sham » Wed May 12, 2010 1:25 pm

Why don't you bulk up on fast food for the next three months and use the butt fat as your seat padding? It will save you the trouble of making a fur seat cover!
Sham

Postby jella » Wed May 12, 2010 1:31 pm

Of course it goes without saying I had matching fur trim on my basket. 8) lmao @ bounce...love it duct tape booger ass moop
jella

Postby Fire_Moose » Wed May 12, 2010 2:19 pm

staple a couple babies to yer seat
2K8 Burning Man Virgin 2K11 Camp Envy
2K9 Camp Envy 2k12 Fucking Flamingoes
2k10 Stag Camp 2k13 Camp Envy
Fire_Moose

Postby EmilyD » Wed May 12, 2010 2:42 pm

ConnieH wrote:in addition to padding your seat, I'd suggest you ride a bunch before the burn - get those butt bones (and muscles) ready to ride. The day after my first mountain bike ride of the season, my bum hurrrts enough to not want to get back on the bike for a few days, even with my ergonomically correct memory foam padded seat - would hate to have a sore bum ruin your burn ;-)

Thanks for that tip ConnieH, I've definitely been given this sage advice before. We will follow it, as soon as hubby recovers from...H1N1...I kid you not. He's been sick for almost 3 weeks. :-(
EmilyD

Postby EmilyD » Wed May 12, 2010 2:54 pm

Shambala wrote:Why don't you bulk up on fast food for the next three months and use the butt fat as your seat padding? It will save you the trouble of making a fur seat cover!

Shambala, funny you should post a photo of my ass, but alas, big asses hurt just like lil asses on hard seats. You see the padding all smoooshes over the sides and doesn't land where you need it, on the bum bones. ;-o
EmilyD

Postby EmilyD » Wed May 12, 2010 2:55 pm

Bounce530 wrote:Problem I see with a duct taped seat would be, the glue of the tape will become soft due to the heat of the day and your butt bouncing around on it. The tape will move, slide, and roll, your butt will stick to the glue that is exposed, creating a mess, plus like what was mentioned it would most likely create moop. But hey, you might like duct tape boogers on your ass, who knows...could make for some interesting convo starters...

BLEAH! a really good anti-duct tape post. Thanks Bounce530, message received!
EmilyD

Postby EmilyD » Wed May 12, 2010 3:01 pm

jella wrote:Of course it goes without saying I had matching fur trim on my basket. 8)

Oh but of COURSE!!! Yes, oh yes!
EmilyD

Postby misfit » Wed May 12, 2010 3:07 pm

cut a piece of memory foam to match seat, cover with fur by adding a strip of elastic around outer edge of fur. slip over foam and seat............
Be happy while you're living, For you're a long time dead.
misfit

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: wish you were here

Postby Elorrum » Wed May 12, 2010 4:50 pm

It will make a big difference if you go through the owie phase before hand. ride through some soreness at home, and it will make your burning man riding much more enjoyable.
I tried a seat with springs last year, and it was just great. really took the jarring bumps out of the ride.
Elorrum

Postby Bounce530 » Wed May 12, 2010 5:14 pm

:::Drool::: Oh, how many lights I could put on those handle bars!!
What other people think about you is none of your business.
Bounce530

Camp Name: BRC Guardian docking pad

Postby CapSmashy » Wed May 12, 2010 5:26 pm

http://www.derri-air.com/velo-geltech-wide.htm

Or pick up one of these. All day ass comfort guaranteed.
CapSmashy

Camp Name: Terminal City://404 Village Not Found

Postby Sham » Wed May 12, 2010 5:27 pm

EmilyD wrote:
Shambala wrote:Why don't you bulk up on fast food for the next three months and use the butt fat as your seat padding? It will save you the trouble of making a fur seat cover!

Shambala, funny you should post a photo of my ass, but alas, big asses hurt just like lil asses on hard seats. You see the padding all smoooshes over the sides and doesn't land where you need it, on the bum bones. ;-o

Nice photo. I'll look for you on the playa! :shock:
Maybe this bicycle seat would work for you.
Sham

Postby diane o'thirst » Wed May 12, 2010 6:36 pm

Caveat: I ride a recumbent bike. Exceptionally comfortable and stress-less ride.

Most recumbent bikes have big, well-padded seats (perforce), but I found that not enough cush for my tuckus. So I wrapped the seat in a sheepskin. The big fluffy ones you get from New Zealand. Spent hours and hours whacking it to get the better part of the Playa out of it, but seeing as wool is alkaline anyway it didn't damage it much. And the cush factor was definitely worth it.
ImageImageImage
diane o'thirst

Postby Sham » Wed May 12, 2010 7:26 pm

IKEA has a small sheepskin rug, that can be cut down to cover a bike seat to make your bum-bum feel nice and soft while cruising the playa.
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/70026822
Another thought is a gel filled bike seat cover that can be removed after your trip to the playa and washed after your long naked bike rides. :shock:
Sham

Postby Playa Foot » Wed May 12, 2010 9:50 pm

Most big squishy bike seats are uncomfrtable as hell. The smaller seats especially with gel padding are far more comfortable. Go to a good bike shop and ask for their recommendation then break in both the saddle and your butt.
Playa Foot

Postby teardropper » Thu May 13, 2010 5:31 am

I got sheepskin seat covers on eBay for less than $20. These are cushiony and provide good support, too. Many people swear by sheepskin for its abilities. My brother uses it for long distance motorcycle touring.
\^/
/..\ Furthur
teardropper

Camp Name: The late Lazy Fucks. Now Orphan Eaters.

Postby robotland » Thu May 13, 2010 5:48 am

Shambala wrote:Image

I bring one of these, and love it. NOT as hot as fleece or fur (which are designed to TRAP heat, hello?!?) and they can be easily removed to prevent "removal by others".
I'll second (or third or fourth) the butt-break-in-period prior to a week of the most intensive bike riding I do all year, and also suggest that you examine the Modified Tan Area that you present while seated on a bike so as to avoid cooked thighs due to unexpected exposure.
Howdy From Kalamazoo
robotland

Postby teardropper » Thu May 13, 2010 6:08 am

You've obviously never used fleece (hello?).
\^/
/..\ Furthur
teardropper

Camp Name: The late Lazy Fucks. Now Orphan Eaters.

Postby Boijoy » Thu May 13, 2010 10:52 am

Elorrum wrote:It will make a big difference if you go through the owie phase before hand. ride through some soreness at home, and it will make your burning man riding much more enjoyable.
I tried a seat with springs last year, and it was just great. really took the jarring bumps out of the ride.

THAT looks just like my bike when I was a kid. except mine had a sparkly purple bannanna seat. :) I loved that bike.
don't forget to floss
Boijoy

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Metro Mart

Postby EmilyD » Thu May 13, 2010 5:12 pm

For Shambala:

EmilyD

Postby EmilyD » Thu May 13, 2010 5:16 pm

diane o'thirst wrote:Caveat: I ride a recumbent bike. Exceptionally comfortable and stress-less ride.

Most recumbent bikes have big, well-padded seats (perforce), but I found that not enough cush for my tuckus. So I wrapped the seat in a sheepskin. The big fluffy ones you get from New Zealand. Spent hours and hours whacking it to get the better part of the Playa out of it, but seeing as wool is alkaline anyway it didn't damage it much. And the cush factor was definitely worth it.

Yeah I was wondering about sheepskin and the dust. And I've seen those rugs that Shambala mentions at Ikea. That would nicely (and cheaply) cover two bike seats no problem. Thanks everyone...very helpful, good tips.
EmilyD

Postby oneeyeddick » Thu May 13, 2010 8:09 pm

One day little Johnny comes home one day from school and his mom asks him how his day was.
He replies, "Mom, today I had sex with the teacher!"
Immediately she was angry. She said, "just wait 'till your dad gets home, he's going to be very mad at you. Go to your room!"
So the boy goes to his room and finally his dad is home and comes up to the room. The boy tells his dad and the dad is proud of the boy.
"Great job son! How old are you 12? 13? How about we go down to the store and get that shiny red bicycle you wanted?"
So, they go to the store and the dad buys the bike for his son. Then he says, "well Johnny, do you want to ride the bike home?"
The boy answers, " No, that's okay Dad, My ass is still sore!"
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.
oneeyeddick

Burning Since: 1996

Next

Return to Transportation