Folding bikes?

Bikes, trikes, personal mobility and mutant vehicles - this is the place to discuss general transportation issues. For ride and RV shares, please go to Share Resources.

Folding bikes?

Postby convenientlust » Mon May 10, 2010 12:42 am

Hey, I was just wondering if I could get some advice.

Me and my SO were planning on getting folding bikes for BM. I was wondering if anyone has one/has rode one/has used one at BM. Any input appreciated.

I want to know if it's worth buying because I need a new bike anyway but I'm not sure if the specific bike will be a good idea. I do hear that they're amazing for transport.

....help? : ) thanks!
convenientlust

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon May 10, 2010 8:52 am

Don't take your good bike to burningman, as the playa will trash it.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Fire_Moose » Mon May 10, 2010 9:17 am

2K8 Burning Man Virgin 2K11 Camp Envy
2K9 Camp Envy 2k12 Fucking Flamingoes
2k10 Stag Camp 2k13 Camp Envy
Fire_Moose

Postby Boijoy » Mon May 10, 2010 1:15 pm

I recommend a junk bike & a GOOD carrier.
don't forget to floss
Boijoy

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Metro Mart

Postby robotland » Thu May 13, 2010 5:39 am

Last year my friend Jafe generously gifted me with a ticket out to join him in Idaho for the trek from there to BRC...This was the first time I'd had to leave my beloved playabike at home and, underestimating the number of burners in Boise AND what a nice biking town it is resulted in my inability to locate a suitable beater at any of the local thrift stores. Concentrating instead on helping Jafe load the fuquetonnes of gear that he brought (huge trailer loaded with couches, water and fuel tanks, a huge camp shower and lots of misc. gear, towed by an F350 with camper ALSO stuffed with gear) I had resigned myself to the thought of going bikeless when I noticed a GARAGE SALE sign down on the corner of the block...
Fifty bucks later, I was the proud owner of the cutest little folder I'd ever seen! It was a double-fold type, with Frisbee-sized wheels, and I looked like a circus bear riding the damn thing, BUT it was a bike AND it carried me around on the playa amazingly well. In the end I swapped it for gas money owed, but I sorta miss Little Blue....Driving out again this year, and I plan to trick out my tried-and-true beater bike by way of apology for leaving it behind last time.
Howdy From Kalamazoo
robotland

Postby shiznicks1 » Tue May 18, 2010 10:51 pm

I say no to the folding bikes just because usually they have very skinny tires and on the playa, you want the biggest footprint you can have for easier peddling. I say a cruiser is the way to go. More important than anything though is a comfortable seat! The tush gets raw very fast when sitting on a slab of granite which is claimed to be a seat. Thank God for the pimp your bike station last burn, I was quick to grab some foam and zip ties for my slab/seat.
Interloper Camp 2010, come one, come all
shiznicks1

Return to Transportation