Private planes onto the playa?

Bikes, trikes, personal mobility and mutant vehicles - this is the place to discuss general transportation issues. For ride and RV shares, please go to Share Resources.

Recommended method of travel to BRC?

plane
8%
car
46%
boat
25%
foot
13%
art bike
8%

Total votes : 24

Private planes onto the playa?

Postby pelicanjake » Wed May 05, 2010 7:50 pm

I've read that there is a sort of air travel system on the playa. Is there any way I could use a private plane to fly in? (it would actually be a relative of mine, but he is very experienced in flight and owns the plane and all proper documentation on it)

thanks! :)
I want to stay as close to the edge as I can without going over. Out on the edge you see all kinds of things you can't see from the center.

Kurt Vonnegut
pelicanjake

Postby motskyroonmatick » Wed May 05, 2010 8:03 pm

There is an airport. Desert flying is dangerous there have been multiple crashes at the BRC airport. Do a google search and stuff will come up. Look at an overhead view of the city to check out the airport.
Stag Camp 8, 2014. Black Rock City Welding and Repair.

When you pass the 4th "bridge out!" sign; the flaming death is all yours.-Knowmad-
motskyroonmatick

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: StagCamp+B.R.C. Welding&Repair.

Postby pelicanjake » Wed May 05, 2010 8:15 pm

great, thank you
I want to stay as close to the edge as I can without going over. Out on the edge you see all kinds of things you can't see from the center.

Kurt Vonnegut
pelicanjake

Postby Dustdevil » Wed May 05, 2010 11:34 pm

Make certain the pilot is familar with soft field landings and has insurance for the destination. If memory is correct, BRC is an official airport, one or two weeks a year. I believe my GPS has the coordinates. I have never taken my plane there as I feel the corrosive nature of the Playa would be an issue for all the aluminum and avionics.
Those who think they can and those who think they can't are both right.
Dustdevil

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: Brain Freeze / Got Stickers Camp

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu May 06, 2010 8:57 am

Flying stops at about 10:00 am as the winds get too trecherous.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Looking for air crews

Postby mauitimemark » Sat Jul 24, 2010 1:54 pm

Aloha,

Good advice about BRC airport. The winds and conditions can change/deteriorate rapidly.

That being said, Its been a dream for the past 5 burns to actually fly in and out of the playa. This year, all of the pieces have somehow fallen into place (accomodations, gear, etc, all riding up separate) and Im looking to pitch in with a crew in need of one more to split costs/work loads/maintenance/etc.

Not sure what city you'd be departing from, many simply make the Reno-BRC jump. I fly in to LA from Maui on the 25th of August and can be in Reno if need be.

just putting it out there. Best of luck.

MAhalo,
Mark
mauitimemark

Postby AntiM » Sat Jul 24, 2010 2:04 pm

There is specific information on how to get permission on the main Burning Man site.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby some seeing eye » Sat Jul 24, 2010 7:26 pm

I have worked at the airport several years.

Be sure you understand high altitude flying. Manage your fuel. The frequencies are published and the airport now has a designation 88NV, know your frequencies, know the rules - the airspace can become congested, do not overfly BRC itself, avoid wind times, daytime only operations.

The airport, or intergalactic spaceport, has a gate and can sell tickets or accept prepaid or will call. You can even tent camp by your plane, the landing strip and tie down area is outside the perimeter. The spaceport handles in and out for any reason, including city overflights or camping by your plane.

There are specific pilot responsibilities like driving rebar, supplied by the spaceport, to tie down your plane so it doesn't blow away and removing and returning the rebar to the spaceport before leaving.

There is a great community of pilots, a lounge, a camp you can join and events at the spaceport. Getting from there into "town" if you are camping with others is a trick, but usually a solution can be found. I've lent my bike as needed, no guarantees on that.

If you arrive by air, you will have BRC's best gate experience! Given the epicness of the car and truck gate (the main gate rocks, rocks, rocks), that says something!

If it's your first time, contact Tiger Tiger and the team via the Burningman website.
some seeing eye

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Postby some seeing eye » Sun Jul 25, 2010 8:42 am

I was incorrect - you must bring your own tie downs, they are not provided.
some seeing eye

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Postby Token » Sun Jul 25, 2010 9:07 am

Token

Burning Since: 2001

Return to Transportation