Bicycle Touring to the Burn

Bikes, trikes, personal mobility and mutant vehicles - this is the place to discuss general transportation issues. For ride and RV shares, please go to Share Resources.

Bicycle Touring to the Burn

Postby dignified_speck » Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:53 pm

Riding a road bike to Gerlach...from Santa Rosa (bay area). Anyone have any stories of this happening? Thoughts? Anyone who knows someone who's done it?

thanks,
pepper
your world is but sand in my undies
dignified_speck

Postby AntiM » Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:47 pm

This has been asked a few times... the answers will not please you. So, is this your first year? Have you seen 447? Highway 447 is a bad place for bikes. No shoulders, narrow, and semis hauling drywall, plus all those crazy burners. Plus you have to make arrangements for someone to haul a lot of your supplies out for you, no way you can pack enough water.

I'll search for the other threads discussing this, but seriously, it ain't a good idea.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby gyre » Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:05 pm

It's been done.

Go early, leave late or die in traffic.
gyre

Postby Captain Goddammit » Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:31 pm

Yep, in a nutshell that's the deal... it can be done, but it's a REALLY bad road to do it on, and you do need to arrange for your supplies.
"Whaoomph! Whaomph! Burbbleburbblepattpattpattpatt... WHAAAAAaaoooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa........!!!"
Top fuel dragster, by Elliot Naess
Captain Goddammit

Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: Camp I'm going to Hawaii Instead

Postby Bob » Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:46 pm

It's no worse than Route 1 or the Bodega Highway or the Stony Point Road, except it's fifty degrees hotter and the trucks are filled with sewage sludge instead of milk.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby Bounce530 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:54 pm

Thump, thump...and for those of you pulling a trailer, thump, thump(pause)thump.
TomServo wrote:Pickles are cucumbers soaked in EVIL!
Bounce530

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: BRC Guardian docking pad

Postby mdmf007 » Sat Apr 17, 2010 10:11 am

Gyres right, the road is slightly less used pre and post event, but then the traffic is composed of tractor trailers and heavy equipment getting off playa.

While it sounds like a kick ass way to go the burn I wouldn't do it. There is just little margin for error on the part of a driver coming up behind you.

You could take a northern route - but every route in will see way higher than usual volume, and still no shoulders and lots of blind corners. Save the ride for another day is my opinion.
mdmf007

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: ESD

Postby Token » Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:54 pm

In 08 I had an art instalation 2 weeks early pass... Passed three cycling burners on 447 on the way in.

In 09 passed one cyclist on Friday early entry. She passed us in Gerlach since we stopped to gas up and rest up a bit before we went in.

My guess is all these folks cycling in were staffers of some sort that had all the basics like food and water waiting for them.

Been done before, will be done again. All the folks cringing about it on this board are just a miniscule sampling of burnies out there.

I'd say figure out the logistics and go for it.
Token

Burning Since: 2001

Postby mudpuppy000 » Sun Apr 18, 2010 6:28 am

Not sure if a rideable even exists but it'd be fun to take a mountain bike and come in on dirt roads. I wonder if there's anything following the train tracks.

I personally wouldn't ride on the paved road on my road bike. Not only do you have to worry about people coming up behind you and hitting you, alot of people pass like maniacs, so you could get hit head on by some idiot that dosen't see you.
mudpuppy000

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Orphan Endorphin

Postby Bob » Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:05 pm

Back in '97 a schoolteacher from the 'Merkin midwest rode up naked from Reno.

Red as a beet.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby Thecatman » Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:25 pm

Rotsaruck, in riding a "road bike" with, I would guess, skinny tires on the playa
Thecatman

Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: alone

Postby dubz » Thu Apr 29, 2010 6:18 pm

What is your touring setup? Are you on an actual road bike, skinny 700c tires? Or on an actual touring bike? Are you using panniers, or a trailer, or both? What is you touring experience?

To others not super familiar with bike touring, every kind of road from the north pole to the south pole has been ridden with a full load. Not neccesarily a Burning Man load though. I totally agree the roads there aren't great, and are heavily traveled, but it can definitely be done if you have the right setup.

FWIW, to anyone touring there, I will gladly open a conversation with you about how I can help out or support in any way!!!!
dubz

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Raised by Wolves

Return to Transportation