jungo road

Bikes, trikes, personal mobility and mutant vehicles - this is the place to discuss general transportation issues. For ride and RV shares, please go to the year-specific Share Resources board.

jungo road

Postby jailbird » Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:10 am

hi, i'm a virgin from tifton ga. I'm driving in with my wife,daughter,her
boyfriend and a buddy of mine(all virgins).I am also a truck driver by
trade so i'm always looking for the shortest route.Taking Jungo road looks to be about a 100 miles closer coming in from the east so i was wondering
is this a good road to take. Any and all information will be helpful.

thanks, hope to see ya on the playa
jailbird

Postby teardropper » Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:06 am

That might not be a good idea. This is one of those roads that looks good on the map. Unless you're ready to break some axles and shred some tires, go around. Take your video cam and film it, it might be a good adventure.
\^/
/..\ Furthur
teardropper

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: The late Lazy Fucks. Now Orphan Eaters.

Postby dragonfly Jafe » Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:23 am

I come from the north, and have taken Jungo 3 times. In summary, it is not a road for most Travellers.

What is your rig? Do you have a trailer? How much weight are you hauling? How many spare tires do you have (for the trailer too)?

There are no services or habitants at all. You are totally on your own. Once you get to Gerlach, it may be difficult to refuel (can your rig plus spare fuel make it from Winnemucca to BM and back to Winnemucca without refueling?)

The road is not well marked (buy a Nevada Gazeteer). Mining trucks drive from Sulphur to Winnemucca at speed. Which doesn't mean that is how you should travel - the road is notorious for eating tires (how are you at handling your loaded rig with a blow-out?). I average about 1 tire lost per trip (the Walmart in Winnemucca has a tire center that is open over the Labor Day Holiday). My first trip the truck travelling with me suffered a trailer failure (that was fun). Any sort of tow (once you hike out or flag down another Adventurer, no cell signal) will cost many hundreds of dollars (AAA won't even come close).

On top of all that, it saves you maybe 1 hour (depending on how fast you drive). But if you like deserts, it is beautiful. And it avoids the white-knuckle Hwy 447 river of gasoline and testosterone without shoulders that is the other route...

YMMV
Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer
dragonfly Jafe

Postby AntiM » Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:31 am

I have a friend who takes it every year, he's lost tires and once, his water tanks under his trailer. He is a cautious driver too and experienced with the road.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby illy dilly » Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:52 am

I would some time like to try it. Key word some time, not on my way to or from the burn. But make taking Jungo road its own adventure.
I would consider it more of a driving adventure than a short cut to Burning Man.
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave
illy dilly

Camp Name: Gnome Dome

Postby ygmir » Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:15 am

there is some very good rock hunting along that road/area...........
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby Boijoy » Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:21 am

ygmir wrote:there is some very good rock hunting along that road/area...........

:lol:
don't forget to floss
Boijoy

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Metro Mart

Postby illy dilly » Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:21 am

[quote="ygmir"]there is some very good rock hunting along that road/area...........[/quote
Those damn rocks, they blend it with the dirt and rocks, you can barely see them!
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave
illy dilly

Postby ygmir » Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:27 am

I'm an avid rock hound, so, I know their habits......

you gotta catch then during migration, when, they bunch up in their herds and are easier to spot.

on your first trip, even though it's "cheating", I'd suggest you get a burlap bag, and, a flashlight........head up a ravine you know they'll be moving through, put the flashlight behind the bag, and, hold it open.......then wait......

if you do it right, the little buggers will run right in the bag.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Postby teardropper » Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:35 am

That works really well for snipes, too.
\^/
/..\ Furthur
teardropper

Postby ygmir » Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:38 am

I thought that desert delicacy was a secret........
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Postby gyre » Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:42 am

gyre

Postby illy dilly » Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:02 am

I've been doing it all wrong.
I just walk around looking at the sky yelling 'Here rocky, rocky, rocky... Here rocky, rocky, rocky... I have some nice scissors for you to smash"
illy dilly

Postby ygmir » Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:04 am

yay!!

YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Postby Sail Man » Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:06 am

illy dilly wrote:I've been doing it all wrong.
I just walk around looking at the sky yelling 'Here rocky, rocky, rocky... Here rocky, rocky, rocky... I have some nice scissors for you to smash"

No no no! Your supposed to tie the scissors to your fishing line and bait cast for them. :P
Excuse me Ma'am, your going to feel a small prick.

Algorithms never survive the first thirty seconds of patient contact
Sail Man

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Kidsville: Delicious

Postby illy dilly » Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:10 am

Sail Man wrote:

No no no! Your supposed to tie the scissors to your fishing line and bait cast for them. :P

No wonder I've never gotten real good rocks. I'm more of a leaf poacher than a rock hunter!
illy dilly

Postby Boijoy » Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:46 am

paper covers rock
don't forget to floss
Boijoy

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Metro Mart

Postby Ugly Dougly » Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:07 am

Wait, you're coming from Georgia? That's 2600 miles away. You're hoping to shave off a few miles by hitting a dirt road?

WTF????
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby gyre » Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:15 am

gyre

Postby Ugly Dougly » Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:55 pm

Looks like a 5.10. ;)
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Trust local knowledge

Postby motskyroonmatick » Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:19 pm

Hmmmm. I guess I will ride through part of the Sea Of Cortez now.
Black Rock City Welding and Repair. The Night Time Warming Station.

Card Carrying Member BRCCP.

When you pass the 4th "bridge out!" sign; the flaming death is all yours.-Knowmad-
motskyroonmatick

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: B.R.C. Welding&Repair.

Postby gyre » Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:05 pm

gyre

Postby Kinetik V » Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:17 pm

Ignoring those awesome South American road from hell pix...I've driven Jungo Road to every burn since 2002, and at different times of the year. The only question is not when something bad will happen to you, but when. This road is notorious for trouble, especially for the unprepared and inexperienced. Cell phone signal dies 30 miles outside Winnemucca, and from there you are on your own. If radical self reliance is something you take seriously for your vehicle as well as yourself, then this might be a viable shortcut.

Giving you more info to help you make an informed choice, much of the info you'll find online is from the days before the mine opened back up at Sulphur which is the halfway point on the road. The mine has paid for grading and the truck traffic took a rough as hell road and subdued it to where in places you can easily do the 55 mph posted speedlimit even with a trailer in tow. The railroad crossing can be tricky...a UP freight dropping off the grade to the West comes around an S curve and can be on you in no time....at 60 mph. There's some other S curves and some rough cattle guards to deal with but the section from Winnemucca to Sulphur is the best section. But that being said somewhere before the railroad crossing is the remnants of a trailer tire rim, it's location is only known to God and the desert winds....it blew out, got mangled, and then vanished off the axle and I wasn't going but 35 when it happened.

From the mine at Sulphur to Empire / Hwy 447...this section has less traffic, S-curves, large rocks, dips and large washes to cross, and sometimes the county dumps large rock on the road to fix one problem and they only make things worse. Some sections get so washboarded that 20 mph feels like it's 15 mph too fast...I've broken trailer lights, 2 windshields, and in one case almost ripped an axle clean out from under my trailer. There are soft dirt giant potholes that can swallow up a Honda Civic...saw that, have pix somewhere of it. But I've seen a VW bus go through there and make it across so if you have some driving skill, respect the road and don't haul ass like it's the Baja 1000, you have a good shot at making the shortcut work for you.

But all that being said...Jungo Road LOVES to kick people's ass. Don't say nobody warned ya.

P.S. Try and drive Jungo during the day...the views are amazing.
Kinetic V
~~~~~~
When you finally let go, only then will you learn how to live.
I bring order to chaos. And I bring chaos to those who deserve it.
Kinetik V

Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: Sanctuary West

Postby Elorrum » Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:46 pm

then you sneak up behind with a sheet of paper. hey presto!
Elorrum

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:01 am

Sail Man wrote:

No, that's raver fishing.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:03 am

Elorrum wrote:

then you sneak up behind with a sheet of paper. hey presto!

Remember, you can trail rocks by looking for sandy fewmets.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.

theCryptofishist

Postby teardropper » Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:42 am

This is a motorcycle story, but in the middle they take their bikes down Jungo Road. I think it was in 2008, but it sound like what Kinetic was talking about.

http://www.spoke-n-word.com/travellog_archive.php?id=18
\^/
/..\ Furthur
teardropper

Postby illy dilly » Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:43 am

theCryptofishist wrote:
Sail Man wrote:

I thought raver fishing was a glow stick on the end of a fishing line?
illy dilly

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:46 am

illy dilly wrote:
theCryptofishist wrote:
Sail Man wrote:

Ha, ha! Caught you!
The Lady with a Lamprey

theCryptofishist

Postby illy dilly » Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:55 am

theCryptofishist wrote:
illy dilly wrote:
theCryptofishist wrote:
Sail Man wrote:

Ha, ha! Caught you!

I swear I don't do that any more! I'm a better man now! I'm reformed!
Please forgive me for the mistakes of a past life! I didn't mean to be so annoying and useless, I just didn't know any better!
illy dilly

Next

Return to Transportation