Flying to SF from Canada - Where to get stuff in SF??

Bikes, trikes, personal mobility and mutant vehicles - this is the place to discuss general transportation issues. For ride and RV shares, please go to Share Resources.

Flying to SF from Canada - Where to get stuff in SF??

Postby Rice » Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:58 pm

Hi, I thought for something different I would fly down for my fourth burn.

Since I am flying I cannot bring my complete burn gear. Am wondering where in San Francisco to get a decent (ie good burn) tent, food, booze, etc?? Also, any suggestions on where to rent a cheap car for about 2 weeks?

It takes 3 days to drive from my door to the BM gate and I can fly to SF and drive to the gate in about 12 hrs ...

I sure know what works for me at the burn, I just don't know SF.

All useful suggestions are appreciated! {grin}

{quiver} only 188 days till I leave for the burn .... {quiver}

Rice.
Rice

Burning Since: 2007

Postby phil » Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:47 pm

One alternative: instead of shopping in San Francisco, shop in Reno. Things will likely be cheaper and easier to get to (less urban driving). See Louise's page on shopping Reno at
http://civilizedexplorer.pbworks.com/in ... noSupplies
and see if that looks good after you've gotten advice on where to shop in SF.

Have fun. Repeat.
phil

Postby Dr. Pyro » Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:11 am

Or on the way to Reno, on I-80 at exit 110 (Loomis/Horseshoe Bar Road) there is a Raley's that stocks up for burners (i.e. extra pallets of water) and all your food needs. Then at Boomtown in Nevada (exit 4) there is a Cabela's for your camping needs. Do not buy in San Francisco. Complete ripoff.
Dr. Pyro

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Postby Rice » Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:34 pm

Thanks for the heads-up on SF/Reno supplies purchasing... I usually stop in Winnemucca to get my biological supplies and bring everything else with me.

This is a weird quasi-stressful planning process for me!

Any suggestions on where to find a reasonably priced, playa-durable tent (in either SF or Reno)? (my last tent was 10 years old and survived the last 3 burns...)

Also, what is a reasonably daily/weekly rental charge for an economy car? Any rental places I should avoid?? Burner friendly?

Thanks for all the good advice!!

Rice
Rice

Postby Tragopogon » Sat Feb 20, 2010 7:26 pm

Why not bring a tent from Canada with you?

My boyfriend and I brought two tents in our luggage when we flew down from Ottawa last year.

You are usually allowed two pieces of checked luggage so we each brought a large suitcase and a cooler.
Tragopogon

Postby Rice » Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:14 pm

I appreciate all of the good suggestions! 90% of the stuff I was fretting over has been answered. {grin}

Not so worried about the tent, that will be easy to get/transport.

The only thing I am mulling over right now is car rentals. looking on the web, the prices per day seem very high... Does anyone have any suggestions of a reasonably priced car rental company? (13-15 days)

My countdown says it is only 184 days till the journey begins ... {hee hee}

Rice
Rice

Postby trystanthegypsy » Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:03 pm

IMHO you should buy a car on kijiji. Take an old beater with a good engine and tires, and either try to sell it again or donate it to charity :)
trystanthegypsy

Postby Rice » Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:56 am

trystanthegypsy wrote:IMHO you should buy a car on kijiji. Take an old beater with a good engine and tires, and either try to sell it again or donate it to charity :)

You, my Dear, are a genius!! 8)

Scrapping plan A, going to the newly formed Plan B...

Lovingly,

Rice
Rice

Car Rental

Postby repmacyppah » Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:40 am

Here are a few tips on car rental.

1. Look to rent away from the airport. It saves you from paying 40% or more in taxes

2. Check hotwire.com or try bidding on priceline. Car rental companies post their cheapest rates there usually. They do not have to show their name with the price and it helps to stop price wars.

3. Do not mention where you are going because they will flag your rental so that the car is inspected closer upon return. No need to lie just say you are traveling.

4. When taking coverage on the vehicle (it is not insurance) note they can void it for numerous reasons one of which would be for driving off road. If you do take it and something happens make sure the vehicle is back on a paved road before you contact them. If you can drive it back make sure you spit shine it.

5. If you are not leaving SF right away check different dates. Mon-Thur pick ups are more expensive because of business travelers.

6. Also try different lengths of rental if you can. The price differently depending how long you keep the vehicle. 2 day costs more than 4 day ect. Do not book 2 reservations and expect not to return for the second reservation. They will not open the second rental when you first pick up.

7. Stay with a major brand. Dealing with smaller companies for breakdowns can ruin your trip.

Good luck.
repmacyppah

Return to Transportation